MBUS clone... Or not!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBUS clone... Or not!?

So I've had my eye on what appears to be a clone of the Magpul MBUS for sale on a popular auction website. I have done a fair bit of digging and a few people seem to think that, unlike the official Airsoft clones which have a 'similar' logo, these are actually exactly the same as the genuine article, but without 'PTS' painted onto the front.

Has anybody had experience with either/both the RS and these 'copies'? I hear that they are made of the same material and are exactly the same dimensions and they even come in Magpul trademarked packaging...

[Edited for spelling mistakes]

I've got them. If you want I can take a bunch of pictures for you so you can see them.

Very nice for the price, especially compared to the authentic ones. They work in exactly the same way, and are built very very well.

My only complaint, is that on mine, the rear sight is a little stiffer than the front. The two arms you push down to cause the sight to flip up rub against the sides of the RIS rails they are mounted on on top of my rifle. It's not hard to push them though, just not as free moving without a little filing/wearing down of the arms.

The rear aight doesn't seem to be adjustable either, despite having all the bits and bobs for it. But perhaps im just doing it wrong!

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend them for the price.

Comment

Re: MBUS clone... Or not!?

Ca you see what the hardware clamping the sight to the rail is?

Real ones use a flat head screw that's wide enough to use a coin to tighten.

Clones use an allen head usually.

Also, the clones use a pin and the ones I have experience with can move and fall out. The genuine articles are assembled with a much better pin.

Comment

Fair enough - I would actually love some close-ups if possible!

I've seen people say that one sight is stiffer than the other - be it front or back. I don't know what kind of deal they have going on but they seem quite real but maybe the manufacturing tolerances aren't quite as high as with the RS..? or they could be the rejected ones from Magpul's manufacturing? Or just plain copies... The copyright laws aren't exactly strict in China :-p

I really don't know! But I'd love to put these side-by-side with the genuine article to see how similar they are.

Comment

Mine are an Allen screw, with a nut and shaped recess on the other side. Seems very very secure to me, wouldn't have thought there was a hope on he'll of them working themselves loose!

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
            Ca you see what the hardware clamping the sight to the rail is?

Real ones use a flat head screw that's wide enough to use a coin to tighten.

Clones use an allen head usually.
            that'd be quite good to check!

Comment

I'll get some close ups of mine tonight for you!

As for them being stiffer, I imagine people had the same issue I had. On the sights, there are two little arms that move down to let the sight flip up. The insides of these arms brush against the RIS rail, and make pressing them down harder, so they feel stiffer. Take them off the rail, and they feel springy like they should. It's hardly a deal breaker, unless you plan on flipping them up and down each time you spot a target :P

Comment

Just checked the auction site again. The ones going for £17.02 have a flathead screw head (there should only be two retailers on that site).

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                  I'll get some close ups of mine tonight for you!

As for them being stiffer, I imagine people had the same issue I had. On the sights, there are two little arms that move down to let the sight flip up. The insides of these arms brush against the RIS rail, and make pressing them down harder, so they feel stiffer. Take them off the rail, and they feel springy like they should. It's hardly a deal breaker, unless you plan on flipping them up and down each time you spot a target :P
                  That'd be great!

I guess a bit of filing could remedy this? It's certainly not putting me off at that price for the pair!

Comment

No worries chap! Yes about 5 minutes o filing will cure it. When I first put it on, it would barely budge. Give it a good hard shunt a few times and it'll wear itself down and become much easier. Might take a file to them tomorrow or something just to stop it happening! But by no means are they unuseable. Obviously not suited for the real deal, but for Airsoft they'll do fine!

Comment

Originally posted by KaRcop View Post
                      Just checked the auction site again. The ones going for £17.02 have a flathead screw head (there should only be two retailers on that site).
                      Cool, just bear in mind the sellers don't always photograph the item they are sending you.

Comment

Good point, B.E.N...

I might take the plunge and then necro-post my findings here in a few weeks.

BSB, did you order yours from the same auction site? TBH if they do the job well then it's a good deal for both sights anyway at that price!

Comment

Yep I it mine off there. Didn't think they made clones so just thought I got a crazy good deal haha.

I'll get you some pictures when I'm back from work tonight. You can see how they work etc!

Comment

Thank you! :-)

Comment

i've got some of the clone ones and the real magpul versions

tbh, there's not much in it. the clone ones do the same job, look virtually the same and are very good vfm

my M4 in the 'pics of your guns/magpul guns' section sport the clones

take that plunge
                              h e y d r i c h
                              L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

KaRcop I'm a pilot. Find out more about KaRcop
                              Working...
                              X