Gas powered Guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas powered Guns.

I had a thought yesterday... After owning a few GBB pistols i soon realised that the gas costs a fortune! And i know using propane is cheaper that most cans of gas you buy off the shelf. But why do we use these gasses when they are so expensive?
    And why cant we used compressed air like pre-charged air rifles use? Surely if you had a compressor or a divers bottle like you use with air rifles then you could fill up mags for next to nothing!
    I was mainly thinking along the lines of an air compressor with some sort of special nozzle for my pistol mags.
    Is this possible? or is there a good reason for using propane/green gas whatever?

spartacus

Re: Gas powered Guns.

are you aware of classic airsoft?
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Yeah i have seen some real old guns with external air supply. But i was hoping there was a way of using compressed air without the need of an external supply. So you can keep the gun looking as real as possible without a great big bottle sticking out the side.

Comment

im no expert,but i think it may have something to do with the fact that compressed air needs sturdier containers,which adds to costs and bulk...but saying that you can get some pretty small diving bottles,known as pony tanks,and sodastream made a small bottle,if only they could make magazines as strong as a diving bottle
        VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
        trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Madbul have that co2 charger thing for their shells I think it is so realistically it would be possible but I am guessing there are reasons why this hasn't already been done. Maybe the pressure would be too great for a pistol mag? I don't know anything about compressed air though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm definitely no expert on the subject... but couldn't you get a regulator so that the pressure in the magazines doesn't exceed what it can take?

Comment

Good idea with the regulator. But would the pressure be high enough to still have an effective FPS?

What is the difference between normal air and propane/green gan?

Comment

It wont work the way you're thinking of. GBB Weapons use propane/butane/134a because they can be stored as a liquid under pressure. The way a GBB weapon works is when you fire you lower the pressure in the magazine by releasing some of the gas, then some of the liquid propane/134a boils (propane boiling point is in the minus c figures) and turns into gas and that keeps up the pressure and gives you a steady FPS. If you put in compressed air or just c02 gas like with the madbull adaptor you dont have any liquid in the magazine so nothing can boil to keep up the pressure and you would have a massive FPS drop from shot to shot and definatey not enough to fire a whole magazine. When the liquid propane boils it uses energy (heat) hence why you get cooldown when you fire.

So unfortunatley you can just use compressed air to power the guns.

Comment

I think it's easier to pressurise propane, etc. to the point it liquifies than air, meaning more gas/pressure in a smaller volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Barny Hamon View Post
                    It wont work the way you're thinking of. GBB Weapons use propane/butane/134a because they can be stored as a liquid under pressure. The way a GBB weapon works is when you fire you lower the pressure in the magazine by releasing some of the gas, then some of the liquid propane/134a boils (propane boiling point is in the minus c figures) and turns into gas and that keeps up the pressure and gives you a steady FPS. If you put in compressed air or just c02 gas like with the madbull adaptor you dont have any liquid in the magazine so nothing can boil to keep up the pressure and you would have a massive FPS drop from shot to shot and definatey not enough to fire a whole magazine. When the liquid propane boils it uses energy (heat) hence why you get cooldown when you fire.

So unfortunatley you can just use compressed air to power the guns.
                    This, really.
                    Others till I die

Comment

So you CAN... but only with a backpack/external rig not magazines.

Stuck with the £££ then!

Comment

im lookign into this,,

http://www.airsoftgasblowbacks.com/journal.html

runs the line down ur webbing into the grip, then you can use normal aeg mags, looks great,. runs on Nitrogen and Hpa, . they also say " Nitrogen can be used in freezing weather. You can
                        literally pull the trigger for minutes on end with
                        no cool down effect. "

Comment

IMO external rigs are fine....right up untill the point the line catches on something and breaks away from either the gun or bottle.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

spartacus When I am not leading my fellow slaves in an uprising against the Roman republic my main hobbies are airsoft and motorbikes. Find out more about spartacus
                          Working...
                          X