Brushless motors in airsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brushless motors in airsoft?

Why have they not been tranfered over to airsoft yet?

If anyone has seen an RC car run on a brushless and a lipo they will know they go like the proverbial of a shovel.

With people trying to make guns faster it should be up at the top of the list for manufacturers.

What do you think?

Re: Brushless motors in airsoft?

Perhaps it would just break internals, a couple of guys at my site have thought about doing it but can't remember the reasons why they didn't

Comment

There are a few posts of people doing these but aparently (don't shoot the messenger) the problem lies with having to get a motor and motor controller in a pistol grip.
      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Originally posted by midas View Post
        There are a few posts of people doing these but aparently (don't shoot the messenger) the problem lies with having to get a motor and motor controller in a pistol grip.
        Would it not be possible to locate the control circuit elsewhere in the gun, such as in the stock?

Comment

The brushless motor requires 3 wires to work for a start.

Also, they work better when they run continuously, such as in an RC car. The start/stop use in airsoft makes them less useful.

In fact, I'm not sure it would help at all, as the way they work needs to sense the rotary position of the motor. That can be done when it's turning using the 3 wires, but for the stop/start of airsoft, it might need separate sensors, meaning at least 4 more wires.

Comment

The control unit is essentially a bigger mosfet, so miniaturisation and a suitable location would work, you would also need to make the motor smaller as the RC ones are quite big. It all comes down to the general airsofters way of thinking though. We are scared of change. Which is why there has been very little advancement from TMs original design, only a couple of companies have had the balls to step up and do something new (system for one, and that was for realism).
            section 24 of the 1968 Act
            Supplying imitation firearms to minors
            1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
            2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Yup, a brushless motor controller needs a minimum of 6 MOSFETs - 2 for each motor wire. That's essentially 3 braking - type airsoft MOSFET units.

Why 2 each wire? - each wire needs to be able to connect to battery +ve, battery -ve, and disconnect in a particular sequence throughout each revolution. That requires 2 MOSFETS per wire.

TBH, If it would even work (and I'm not sure it would), I think that if there were any gain at all, it'd be less noise from the motor as there aren't any brushes to rub or arc.

Comment

brushless motors have a larger wind up time than brushed motors.

they need to complete rotation 5 or 6 times before the ESC will correct the motor timing for proper operation.. hence being pretty useless in airsoft
                Systema PTW M4A1 - TM M14 - KSC Glock 17 - WE 1911 MEU - TM Hi Capa race gat

Comment

And i have my answer

I thought it would be as simple as just making the motor smaller.

Comment

Brushless motors that small are still quite advanced hence also cost a lot more than a brushed motors!
                    section 24 of the 1968 Act
                    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

If an advance is needed. I think it would be better to completly revolutionise the gear box/ bb propulsion unit. Design and build something completly different.

A propane tank regulated by an electronic regulator with more realistic blow back.

Im not sure we really need to change idividual items. I have a gun that shoots over 60 bb's a sec, another thats is 40 a sec. The dsg could be short stroked and use a bigger battery and possibly get to 80 a sec, so we deffinatly don't need to speed things up.

A complete overhaul if anyone extremely clever is watching. Re do the whole platform. Even if each mid cap had a smalll propane tank made into it.
                      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Coz Find out more about Coz
                      Working...
                      X