Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airsoft IED

Hi I would like peoples thoughts.

At the moment it is still in the design / tinkering stage.
    I am making an airsoft IED (Improvised Explosive Devise). Don't worry sounds worse than it is.

What it is a small self-contained box with motion sensor etc and it is used to detonate small maroons, BB 'nads or smokes. as long as it has an electrical detonator this little bad boy will set it off.

It is set off when some one is 5 meters away from it.

I would like peoples thoughts on this.

Re: Airsoft IED

what happens when a stick falls? or wildlife gets near it?

how do you get it back at the end of the game if it hasnt gone off already?
    Systema PTW M4A1 - TM M14 - KSC Glock 17 - WE 1911 MEU - TM Hi Capa race gat

Comment

no problem with the idea its cool. but please call it something else =/ seems a bit disrespectful to our forces serving at the moment with so many of these things taking there lives

apart from that cool idea man hope it works seems pretty simple but yeah gotta worry about branches and wind blowing things

Comment

Name can be changed no problem.

It will have a forward facing sensor and switch on the back to disable, as for falling braches, wildlife etc i see your point, but that is a problem that the real thing would happen to.

Comment

Agreed on the name change, the current one is in awfully poor taste.

Comment

Originally posted by dippy666 View Post
            Name can be changed no problem.

It will have a forward facing sensor and switch on the back to disable, as for falling braches, wildlife etc i see your point, but that is a problem that the real thing would happen to.
            no the real thing is set off remotly or by a pressure pad buried near by

Comment

Originally posted by bill1310 View Post
              no the real thing is set off remotly or by a pressure pad buried near by
              Really? I was under the impression that the "improvised" nature of these "explosive devices" meant they varied hugely...

I don't think calling these things by their name is a problem... How many people have been killed by 5.56, 7.62 or land mines? We use those names all the time...

Comment

Ok it doesn't fire off any bbs but still a useful prop for games.

http://youtu.be/dIBBBHP7nJA?hd=1

Comment

The idea of the device is to be like the claymore, but it's just a small twist something new.
                  you can use them to alert you if enemy are flanking one it wold take them out so they might think twice about that route, would be good i CQB for putting a hall way to cover your back etc. As for the size of the device it's quite small H=2 inches W=3 inches L=5 inches. smaller than the claymore,

And just incase people are misunderstood you can turn the device OFF on the back there is a on switch which turns the sensor on and an arming switch.
                  Basically you turn it on and wait few seconds for the sensor to a just the the area once that has happened a small LED lights up then you can test the sensor by moving your hand in frond and a test led will light proving the ignition once that is done you arm it and walk away (but not in front of it!) all the should take no more than 30-40 seconds.
                  all self-contained small box with the Pyro on top.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                    I don't think calling these things by their name is a problem... How many people have been killed by 5.56, 7.62 or land mines? We use those names all the time...
                    Im with you here. Its the name of a device? How many people have died via mines? Same concept, see these in airsoft all the time.

Comment

Z1 sell trip wire mines, and 12g "alarm mines" can be purchased for not much via a quick google search. Tripwires reduce issue with "innocent" movement in the surroundings as they require physical contact to detonate.

As to the name, IED is currently a loaded term, but I see no problem with using it as it is technically correct.
                      Goes by the callsign "Iceman" to avoid confusion with the entire Delta team...

Originally posted by Grounded_Pilot
                      ...changed my mind.

Putting a BB in a silencer then using it as a blowpipe. that's the best.
                      a whole 85fps!

Comment

Originally posted by LazyMcCrazy View Post
                        Im with you here. Its the name of a device? How many people have died via mines? Same concept, see these in airsoft all the time.
                        Agreed, we gonna stop calling an AK an Ak next?

Comment

Originally posted by Trogg View Post
                          Agreed, we gonna stop calling an AK an Ak next?
                          I agree, is it the device or the person who makes and sets it with the intent to kill our boys who is the problem?
                          Got to remember that every weapon whether it be a mine, ied, missile, or firearm is designed first and foremost to kill, its the person behind it that is accountable.
                          LA LI LU LE LO?

G&P M4A1 Magpul Sentry - FOR SALE
                          Magpul Masada ACR, TM P90 TR

SHAKE&BAKE AIRSOFT

Comment

Maybe not IED, but IAD. Improvised alerting device.

IED's are detonated by a variety of methods. First, is command wire and a battery. Secondly is radio frequency i.e. mobile phone or key fob. Third is motion sensors found in burglar alarms. Fourth is pressure plates.

There are things already available on the market. Trying to rig a motion sensor one of these will be hard, as well as it not going off when anything comes near. Friends, enemy, tree branches, leaves, animals....Trip wire operated would be best, but as said you have your own team to deal with as well as the enemy.

The simplest device you could use would be a BFG with a trip wire on the pin. Use something thinner than the conventional pin that comes with it. Secondly, use one of the mines you can buy and incorporate that.

You also have the fact that if its left, it needs something which wont cause damage. BB's coming from below you could easily slip past glasses, so something might need to be arranged about that. Also, how would people know they've been killed? A puff of smoke they might ignore.

Ive always seen airsoft mines and traps a bit pointless unless your defending a huge objective and have plenty of time to sort it out.

Comment

An IED is an IED, especially if you make it look like a stereotypical one... the AK47 has probably killed more innocent children lives than any bombs, yet that hasn't stopped us from buying the airsoft version of the same thing or glamorised in movies

Are you using an arduino by any chance? I just bought one for a project for my MP5.

The mobile phone idea sounds great! but with my limited electronic knowledge, I wouldn't know how to use true radio frequency to trigger something, but instead of that, you can get a vibration sensor for a few pounds (available at *CENSORED*). To make it even more complicated maybe the bomb squad would have been briefed before hand to be given hints of the bomb's detail, it would be disarmed by unplugging wires, one of which would the phone's power source, so battery would be wired outside the phone, and if the wrong wire is plugged, it's rigged to go off. This could provide really interesting mil-sim games, first, in order for you to trigger the bomb to kill the bomb squad rendering their mission to fail, you have to be able to observe the bomb squad, which means they would have done a bad job clearing the area before approaching the bomb, second, the plus with vibration sensor is that if they are careless with the way they deal with the bomb, it will go off... making it more tense!

But mind you, I would only go into this much effort to make an airsoft bomb for milsim games, and this bomb should be the objective of the game instead of just something to get a few "HITS!" before respawning 20 seconds later.

Great idea! I think I will make my own version :D What I'm worried is that what would people think if they see me through my room's window....

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

dippy666 Find out more about dippy666
                              Working...
                              X