Increasing range on an M4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing range on an M4

I have a stock g&p m4a1 and to be honest, its effective range isnt that great- It really needs improving, what can i do?
    Ill order a tightbore, 6.03 at some point.
    Im thinking about ordering a madbull blue hop rubber/bucking this afternoon, will that do much?!?

thanks,
    Howzat

Re: Increasing range on an M4

I wouldn't recommend the madbull buckings, never had really good results from them personally.

My opinion:

Prommy 6.03 (if not madbull 6.03 is pretty good)
    Firefly soft or Prommy purple bucking
    H-nub if you get the prommy or regular nub / firefly nub for the firefly.

I also have a big soft spot for the madbull ultimate hop-unit but it's pretty expensive and your stock G&P should do okay tbh.

Shim your hop arm, stick a little washer on the hop adjustment wheel, space the barrel with some teflon or electrical tape.

Should give you a pretty significant accurate range increase over your stock setup.

Comment

The general consensus is that G&P hop units suck, depending on your budget I would put a Madbull Ultimate hop up unit in, with a Madbull V2 tight bore inner barrel (6.03)... Just because you know the two are basically designed for each other. I'm using the shark hop up which comes with the Madbull Ultimate hop up unit, simply because I like having consistency in parts used, knowing that they are all meant for each other. I'm sure many will agree that you'd want a TM bucking, or possibly Firefly or Prometheus.
      WANTED: KAC QD SUPPRESSOR (long) & AKS-74/AKMS
      After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man.

Comment

or you can look at the tech section as many threads turn up

and the best set up is only confirmed after you have tried a few different set ups mate

Comment

+1 with GuardSniper

You Need try to try different variations until you find the best one for your set up

Comment

can i just ask is a 6.01 better than a 6.03 barrel

Comment

Originally posted by edwa2 View Post
              can i just ask is a 6.01 better than a 6.03 barrel
              Not really on an M4, it could have the opposite effect, especially if it becomes dirty, which it will do a lot faster than a 6.03

Maybe on a bolt-action sniper rifle.

You'll also need decent bbs to get the full potential from it (as bbs have size variation)...

I'd just go for a 6.03, some even go for sizes slightly larger with TBs.
              After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man.

Comment

Debatable. You will get a higher FPS with the 6.01, but results are inconclusive. Oddly enough, some of the best results seem to have been with high quality 6.04-6.05 bore barrels, polished thoroughly, so go figure that one!

End of the day, its the consistency of the finish which gets you better accuracy, more so than the bore itself, haha. Material is important too. Harder material = better resistance to scratches. The Madbull barrels have proven themselves over and over as a very good mid-range/price barrel and not really much point getting anything in the same price range, unless you are willing to shell out for a Edgi/PDI (non-raven model)

Bare in mind though, the tighter the bore, the cleaner it needs to be kept and you need to use more consistent, preferably smaller diameter and definitely cleaner bbs. It's why Excels are so popular funnily enough :P

But barrels are not the only thing which decides accuracy. The biggest is FPS consistency and hop consistency and well as hop effect. A barrel is a factor, but often a smaller one than the other elements. Many people can get fantastic accuracy with a stock 6.08 barrel, just by polishing the hell out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
                  Many people can get fantastic accuracy with a stock 6.08 barrel, just by polishing the hell out of it.
                  I've run some "brasso" cleaning cloth backwards and forwards through one of my barrels for about 30 seconds, using the cleaning rod attached to the end of a drill.

High rpm + soft polishing cloth = great results:D
                  sigpic

Comment

so i should get a madbull 6.03 tightbore with a madbull hop up

Comment

That's what I've gone for to fit in my 416. I also like the idea of using all Madbull kit so it's in the combination they were designed to use.

Should find out in a few days if I was right.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's what I'm using in my G&P M4 and it's given me good results so far. Hadn't used a madbull barrel before that gun.

Comment

Like Bachelarius said, FPS consistency can be a killer, you'll find shots dropping all over the place. With a G&P m4, so long as all the internals are there and running smoothly (unlike one I just purchased uh oh), you shouldn't have that issue at all.

Stick a Madbull 6.03 barrel and ultimate hop in it and it will be a death machine... If you know your tech, I'd recommend taking the whole gun apart when you do this so you can clean it out, re-grease and lube it, shim the gears as well as stretching piston seals etc. You'll find that when you put it all together and let it bed in you should have as good an airsoft gun that you're gonna get without paying a fortune.

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks
                            I'll get madbull everything then.
                            What do different colour buckings mean

Comment

sounds like a plan i may well do the same in my g&p m4

http://www.ukaircav.com

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

howzat Find out more about howzat
                              Working...
                              X