Painting A-TACS... My effort :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting A-TACS... My effort :)

Well after trawling the whole of the world to find a Magpul pistol grip in A-TACS for my MOE M4.... I admitted defeat.
    But I decided it was worth giving this a try. Using a FDE grip as a base I used two shades of tan and a tin of black (all I had basically) I tried to replicate the pattern from my front vertical grip - which is a proper A-TACS scheme grip.
    What do you reckon?

Apologies for the rubbish iPhone camera pics! Looks a bit bright on the pics.
    G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Re: Painting A-TACS... My effort

It aint bad mate, needs another 1 or two shades of brown and a hint of green like the real one does and then it'll look alright (when theres more paint on it). How did you do it? Cause i just thought that using a scrunched cloth or towel or a spong and dab it on would be quite an easy way to do it, just build the layers up.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_Fred View Post
      It aint bad mate, needs another 1 or two shades of brown and a hint of green like the real one does and then it'll look alright (when theres more paint on it). How did you do it? Cause i just thought that using a scrunched cloth or towel or a spong and dab it on would be quite an easy way to do it, just build the layers up.
      My thoughts exactly, when I stock up on paint it'll have a hint of green and brown on it. I just used a little washing up sponge and dabbed it on lightly. Only took ten minutes and I think it came out well.
      Once i get the other shades on I'll be happy
      G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Comment

I might even have a bit of trial with doing something along the same line with some artist acrylic paint i have, i was going to spray mine but thought a template would be near impossible so gave up until i had that idea when i saw yours lol

I see what you mean by it being bright as well as the foregrip doesnt look like atacs lol
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dead_Fred View Post
          I see what you mean by it being bright as well as the foregrip doesnt look like atacs lol
          Ha yeah the pics don't do it justice, the proper atacs foregrip looks bright too so at least you can see they have a similar look!
          I've actually painted up the rear mbus sight too but you can't even tell cos of the brightness!

Comment

looks mint m8, but im an untrained eye, giving me ideas for when that day comes that i can paint mine. i was thinking de/tan only to match my mags tho lol

when are you gonna finish it?

Comment

Originally posted by rmkillerman View Post
              looks mint m8, but im an untrained eye, giving me ideas for when that day comes that i can paint mine. i was thinking de/tan only to match my mags tho lol

when are you gonna finish it?
              I'll just pick up a couple of cans of paint next time I go to halfords, their camo paint is pretty good. I'm just wondering if I'll need to lacquer it, don't usually bother but with it being the pistol grip it's gonna see plenty of use

Comment

halfords you say awsome, 1 of them 5 mins away, a tac kit looks smart, did you do one full base layer and work up through the colours?

Comment

Originally posted by rmkillerman View Post
                  halfords you say awsome, 1 of them 5 mins away, a tac kit looks smart, did you do one full base layer and work up through the colours?
                  Yeah started dark earth and did each layer, from light to dark ending with black. Still gotta stick a few dabs of brown and green on it yet

Comment

nice 1 m8, defo going in this direction when the time comes

Comment

Looks cool, how much was the pistol grip

Comment

Originally posted by Mike581 View Post
                        I'll just pick up a couple of cans of paint next time I go to halfords, their camo paint is pretty good. I'm just wondering if I'll need to lacquer it, don't usually bother but with it being the pistol grip it's gonna see plenty of use
                        Yeah I would defo laquer it with 2 thin layers, because paints from halfords are for cars but if you are spraying plastic I would recommend plasti-cote you can get it in place like wilkinson and hobby craft

Comment

I think it looks better than original A-TACS....

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                            Looks cool, how much was the pistol grip

Mine came with it as it's a magpul gun but you can pick them up for £20 no problem.

Once it's finished I'll give it a couple of coats of lacquer. I've used it today and no wear on it but over time without the lacquer I'm sure it'd start to wear off

Comment

can you give me a list of paint brands (if allowed in the forum rules) and the colors used, im gonna try it on a cheap g36 i have

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mike581 Ex Forces Find out more about Mike581
                              Working...
                              X