Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with imax b6 charger

Hi guys i need some help

I have just got myself a imax b6 charger for charging my lipos but i also want to charge some of my old nimh batteries, And well to say im confused is a understatement i have tryed using google to get info but im unsure what amps and volts to put in for the charge and discharge rates and values.

Any one with experience useing the imax b6 charger please let me know.

Cheers

Neil

Re: Help with imax b6 charger

As a general rule the maximum charge amps for NiMH should be the capacity in Ah - capacity in mAh divided by 1,000. So, 1,400mAh would be 1.4A. Same goes for discharging although I tend to discharge at slightly lower rate.

These chargers should select the voltage automatically for NiMH and NiCd. Unlike Lipos where the voltage you see is the the actual voltage of the battery/cell with others it is the rate it is charging and and you'll frequently see it as significantly higher than the rated cell capacity.

Final voltage of a NiMH will be roughly 10% or more higher than it's indicated voltage. eg a 9.6v could be charging at 11, 12V or more and if checked on a multimeter could show a charge of 10.6v (need to check these numbers but the principle applies )
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional...

The tinkering tale of an airsoft addict, wargamer and book fanatic at http://ocdairsoft.blogspot.com/
    It even gets updated occasionally... Quite recently even!

Comment

Sigh... Initiative loss?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQmm5dfoy0 - Plus there's thousands more.

If you want to charge ni-mh, then just choose that in the menu.

If you are unsure about values, check the original charger you had and use the same/ similar values. OR, if you want a good charge, use 1.0A when charging any battery.

Remember to BALANCE lipo's, not charge them.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Cool thanks that was really helpful.

The charger is asking for a voltage for discharge im unsure do i enter the batterie voltage such as 8.4v?
        Last edited by nrg dub; 25 June, 2011, 13:17. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by nrg dub View Post
          Cool thanks that was really helpful.

The charger is asking for a voltage for discharge im unsure do i enter the batterie voltage such as 8.4v?
          That would be fine. Set the discharge rate Amps at 0.001 x Capacity in mAh or 1A whichever is the highest.

NiMH batteries are generally designed to to be charged at 1C rate ie from completely dead to full charge should take a minimum of an hour - The 1A charge rate is fine for cells above 1,000mAh capacity but not a good idea if they are under that.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional...

The tinkering tale of an airsoft addict, wargamer and book fanatic at http://ocdairsoft.blogspot.com/
          It even gets updated occasionally... Quite recently even!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

nrg dub Find out more about nrg dub
          Working...
          X