Gear box damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear box damage

right guys i need some informed advice about gearboxes, i have just taken my g36 apart for a bit of cleaning and discovered that the gearbox housing has cracked at the end of the cylinder housing,
    the gearbox was an " enhanced Guarder V3" for g36's and was supposed to be able to take a high strength spring, im was using an m120.

the entire gearbox and all componants are guarder and they all came in an "upgrade set"

what could i have done wrong?
    what do i need to do to prevent this happening again?
    what alternative products would you recommend?

please post here or send me a pm, sincere advice only please, not just " get ptw lol"

thanks in advance rich.
    'so long, and thanks for all the fish'

Re: Gear box damage

Guarder are one of the more "affordable" (thats my diplomacy coming through there) brands for aftermarket parts. Going upscale to systema for example will see higher tolerances at the cost of higher prices.

For the most part though guarder does the job, I have run 100k rounds through an aug with guarder parts in and its like new. Everything has a life span, yours was just shorter than average it seems. Dont however let that put you off them for good, cost vs. usability they are still one of the better brands despite the odd QC issue here and there.

Comment

sorry guys forgot mention, ive used it 3 times since i fitted it !!! - if i go the systema route what would you recomend??? and dod they do V3 boxes?
      cheers rich.

Comment

do not dry fire your gun unless totally essential, the lack of pressure in front of the piston will cause serious damage to your piston cylinder and gearbox housing
        m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

I have to agree with the post above, i would think you have been dry firing it too much so it has started to crack the piston, in future i would only dry fire it with 1 or 2 shots on semi after youve been using it to loosen off the spring, and only when it is essential to dry fire it other than that dont do it at all or that will happen again
          Last edited by Archuth; 26 August, 2009, 19:05. Reason: Type error
          Anyone else on here play at unreal airsoft?

Comment

Perosanlly?

Chamfer (with a round file) the fromt corners of the gearbox casing where the cylinder meets the cylinderhead. normally you have a nice sharp 90 degree corner - perfect for concentraiting stress cracks.

Don't run too hot a spring anything over 350 will add more stress to the gearbox excessively.keep the piston and piston head light - dont use aluminium pison heads and piston - it's just more kinetic energy trying to knock the front of the GB off. (if you really want ot go to town you can swiss cheeese the piston too)

Dont use bore up kit's - as above and for UK FPS limits unnessasary (if you need more cylinder volume use an unvented solid cylinder)
            use a TM std cylinder head - these are made from a soft(ish) plastic - more give to absorb the knocks of the piston/piston head hitting it.

Comment

cheers guys, thats starting to make scense, last game i used it i had feeding problems with a mag i was using-so did a lot of "blank" firing, didnt realise it could do so much damage.oh well off to the shop again lol.

a quick question on what i should get instead? the same again but be more carefull or a diff brand? any sugestions or personal experiance? what are you guys using for V3 gearboxes?

thanks for your time again guys-this should save me a few quid

Comment

I know you said not to just say "get a ptw lol"
                but if you get the casing from one that would probably be your best bet

Comment

Originally posted by Archuth View Post
                  I know you said not to just say "get a ptw lol"
                  but if you get the casing from one that would probably be your best bet
                  PTW's use a (heavily modified) V2 gearbox not a V3 needed for a G36 PTW's are not the answere to everything as they only come in armalite flavour ATM.
                  I run either TM or CYMA ones - dont pay through the nose for "re enforced" gearbox shell's as they are not really that much better than a plain normal one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fossilfuel View Post
                    PTW's use a (heavily modified) V2 gearbox not a V3 needed for a G36 PTW's are not the answere to everything as they only come in armalite flavour ATM.
                    I run either TM or CYMA ones - dont pay through the nose for "re enforced" gearbox shell's as they are not really that much better than a plain normal one.
                    The man knows his stuff :P, id go with what he suggested, but cyma they are cheapsoft, but are theirs like especially good or something?

Comment

im getting a king arms box for my new project. i hope it will be good:P ill keep you posted

Comment

My set up killled 2 TM boxes is as many weeks. My systema reinforced is still going strong after 6 months.

So the brand does make a difference.

Unless you need the FPS to be really high, a M100 spring will give same results with less strain. Also look into Sorbo pads, not used one myself, but the idea seems good. It is basically a thin bit of padding on piston head or box inside. Softens the hit of the piston.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

richy b my mates say im a bit of a comedian, and i will talk to anyone. ive been airsofting since march 08. Find out more about richy b
                        Working...
                        X