Parcelforce Clearance Fee Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parcelforce Clearance Fee Solution

I had this problem last year when I bought my M93R II - I got in there shortly before the raise in VAT. First problem was the Customs tried to hold until after the new tax came into play... which forced me to use legal action... Basically, HK post had recorded the item as entered the UK, but Parceforce didnt seem to know about it.

Finaly when HMRC admitted they had it & it had been in the country since before the new tax rates. Parcel force charged me a handling fee =( So my new pistol took nearly 2 months to clear customs. Then Parcelforce wanted £20 ontop of the £30 i'd paid for postage & all the time and money I'd spent with customs!

From that point onwards I pre-cleared my packages if I can!
    Kiran Payne
    TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil
    Looking for another TM G17 and a TM M870

sigpic

Comment

How do you pre=clear customs? is that through the retailer you purchase the item from?

Comment

I don't see how this will solve anything,what is it achieving?...more red tape.
        It'll take longer to process your item,will the importer agree?
        I'll let them send me the letter,pay and get my goods..after all I'll still get them cheaper than in the UK even with the charges..
        It just looks like another attempt to circumvent the system TBH..

..you summed it up with the addition of "in theory" says it all really..

Comment

Originally posted by sunburnthammer View Post
          How do you pre=clear customs? is that through the retailer you purchase the item from?
          When I have used one HK retailer I have asked them to pre-clear it for me.
          or with other retailers you need to d/l a customs form. Fill in all the necessary or applicable details i.e. consignment number & description. You then post it (or email it - not sure if HMRC are that high tech). They still have the right to check the consignment though.

I've only done the latter when filling in paperwork for Solar panels from outside the EU. However Im sure if you provided the necessary VCRA information then Customs would let it go.

I dont know how pre-clearing works though. I only found out about it when I was doing some part time work for a green energy firm and they were importing Solar panels from outside of the EU.
          Kiran Payne
          TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil
          Looking for another TM G17 and a TM M870

sigpic

Comment

Just my experience with them,also had the fees,didn't agree with them and now in the proccess of going through with a claim with in the small courts, did the online fileing and now received some paperwork through the post as their defence.
            http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/2new.jpg/
            http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/1newx.jpg/
            http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/3new.jpg/

Any advice would be appreciated and I'll keep you updated.
            Thanks in advance

Comment

If they have closed the loophole in the PSA now allowing them to ransom us you may lose, the fact they are taking you on, you might want to consult a lawyer, the taxes you have no option but to pay, the fees? It could get expensive if you lose?
              best of luck, me I would cut my losses

Comment

A friend of mine is a PF depot manager, and I was having this conversation with him a few days ago. I didnt make much progress with the clearance fee, however he did inform me that it is actually against PF's terms of carriage to send airsoft rifles by them, and if it gets lost you might not be insured for the loss. I was pretty shocked by this so I went and had a poke around PF's website and found this:

"All firearms including: imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; air rifles and all other items similar to, or resembling the foregoing are prohibited. All ammunition (including components thereof) and airgun pellets are also prohibited."

I dont know whether the above can be arguably be applied to airsoft, anyone?

Comment

I have just got off the phone with customs and complained about the parcel force rip off fee as I have a package awaiting clearance at present. The very nice lady informed me that if we instruct the seller to put 'TO BE CUSTOM CLEARED BY IMPORTER' on the box / label then customs will send the VAT invoice to us direct & cutting parcel force out of the loop.

If we don't put that on the box / label then parcel force will automatically pick up the tab & pass on to us with a hefty margin added

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael1701 View Post
                    A friend of mine is a PF depot manager, and I was having this conversation with him a few days ago. I didnt make much progress with the clearance fee, however he did inform me that it is actually against PF's terms of carriage to send airsoft rifles by them, and if it gets lost you might not be insured for the loss. I was pretty shocked by this so I went and had a poke around PF's website and found this:

"All firearms including: imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; air rifles and all other items similar to, or resembling the foregoing are prohibited. All ammunition (including components thereof) and airgun pellets are also prohibited."

I dont know whether the above can be arguably be applied to airsoft, anyone?
                    Yes it applies to airsoft.

Royal Mail cannot block the carriage of airguns though thanks to a postcom ruling. I have posted about this before. Essentially Royal Mail is the only carrier I know of who does not refuse in their terms and conditions to carriage airsoft guns. Those with a business PF account can send airsoft guns I have been told.

Comment

I don't particularly like the way Parcel Force retain packages pending payment, when all other couriers I have used deliver first and then invoice for charges. I have nothing against the payment itself but Parcel Force take too long to inform you of the charges by post so I keep track of an incoming parcel electronically and then have to go to the depot to pay and collect. This is out of my way and inconvenient but most of my imports are business related and I need them quickly - not 4 days later when PF finally get their arses in gear!

Anyway, when you actually look at what is involved in clearing a parcel you can see why they make their charges, so its not really a rip off - they are actually doing something for that charge. As described briefly by sunburnthammer on the previous page, you are well within your rights to clear your own imports, however it involves several different processes on your part and will almost certainly lead to a delay in receiving your item(s). The fee you pay PF or any other courier, means they can do all this for you and do it much quicker.

PF deal predominately with smaller imports by private individuals whereas other couriers mainly deal with businesses. If PF started delivering first and then invoicing, there would be a much bigger chance of private individuals not paying and PF having to spend a fortune trying to retrieve money they are actually owed.

I would advise anyone to think very hard before doing the small claims thing on PF. The OP here appears to have got lucky but look at woot, who now appears to be stuffed (I would love to hear an update if I'm wrong). He now might have to pay the original charges, his small claims AND PF's costs too! PF won't continue to pay out on small claims - at best they will refuse to continue to handle an individuals packages in the future and at worst you will be more out of pocket when losing a small claims.

I once made my own personal stand against PFs fees and nearly got myself arrested when I refused to pay and refused to leave one of their depots!! I now realise what the fee is for and just accept it as part of the cost of importing. Include it in your calculations and there won't be any surprises.
                      >>> I HAVE LOADS OF STUFF FOR SALE - CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY SALE THREADS <<<

Comment

OH YESUM!! Did it feel good dishing out a bitch slap!

Fair play mate well done
                        Western arms pistol parts needed please pm me
                        Any Full Metal WA pistols? Sell me them!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

TB-Stalker Running a small upgrade service for people looking to build themselves a DMR. Find out more about TB-Stalker
                        Working...
                        X