Another paint removal question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another paint removal question...

I know there's plenty of paint removal threads but need one specific to answer a couple of questions...
    I'm on the lookout for a PTW and been offered a good package at a good price. Only problem is it's been sprayed....
    What can I use that is effective and can be used in both metal and plastic parts?
    Also, by doing this am I likely to also wipe out the Systema markings on the receiver or should they be ok?
    I'm keen to have a normal black gun with the factory trades.
    Any input appreciated
    G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Re: Another paint removal question...

I reckon the old Fairy power spray is your best bet Mike.

Don't really know about it affecting the trades?
    There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Acetone will get it paint off of metal very easily, although it'd probably melt straight through plastic.
      The Gear Box Destroyer

Comment

Nitromors is a superb paint stripper for metal but I wouldnt use it on plastic. I ended up just standing the old paint off, if you use a fine grade paper you're unlikely to eat into the plastic too much unless you're very heavy handed.

Comment

what paint is it done with? If its krylon as bamf said fairy power spray should do it fine without damaging original paint.thou if you hav to use white spirit etc it might cut throu original paint and trades but its easier to remove.

Comment

Brake fluid is best for both plastic and metal but it has to be left to soak in overnight is best and will probably remove the original paint too, and usualy just wash off with clean water.

White spirit wont do diddly squat to dry paint.
            Nitromors, thinners and nail varnish remover can damage plastics.

Comment

Fairy spray seems to be a favourite.

Perhaps try it on the underside of the gun or something, so you can practice properly and if you muck it up, the underside isn't too much to worry about.

Have you thought about respraying it and touching up the trades yourself?
              Signature Removed

Comment

One other product was 'Modelstrip' from your local model shop. Its a creamy white paste that you smear on the item to be stripped and placed in a plastic bag overnight.

Unfortunately it may take off the origional paint.

Comment

I think I'm gonna try the fairy spray, sounds like the best option... And just pray it doesn't eat the trades!!
                  Cheers guys
                  G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Comment

I'm going to kind of Jack this thread with another question, I have been wondering and could prove useful for the OP.

If the trades were to be removed or damaged, how do people go about repainting them? The trades on my RIF are damaged and I would like to re touch them.

And also to the OP; Fairy Power spray is the bee's knee's for paint removal!

Comment

Originally posted by Joefuski View Post
                      I'm going to kind of Jack this thread with another question, I have been wondering and could prove useful for the OP.

If the trades were to be removed or damaged, how do people go about repainting them? The trades on my RIF are damaged and I would like to re touch them.

And also to the OP; Fairy Power spray is the bee's knee's for paint removal!
                      i would say paint them white (or what ever colour you want to highlight them in..

and then go over it in a fine grade sand paper..
                      Signature Removed

Comment

Originally posted by Major View Post
                        i would say paint them white (or what ever colour you want to highlight them in..

and then go over it in a fine grade sand paper..
                        I know this, I suppose I should rephrase my question.

Is it best to make a stencil or do it by fine brush and some paint like pin striping on cars and bikes?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mike581 Ex Forces Find out more about Mike581
                        Working...
                        X