Anybody Got/Know A Weathering Guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Got/Know A Weathering Guide?

As part of my "adding more tan" to my G&P M4 Sentry, I'd quite like to give the whole "used in the desert" worn look to it. Hopefully taking some of the too clean to be a real weapon look away, and at some time adding to the "tan-ness" of the black body/RIS/ACOG, to go with the tan grip/stock/cover etc.

Here is the current state....

Looking to achieve something a little less than this...

What I don't want to do is ruin a perfectly good ACOG and VLTOR body (both of which are not cheap!) by doing a bodge job!

Any guides or advise gratefully received!

Re: Anybody Got/Know A Weathering Guide?

Is it metal or plastic bodies?

(good to see you got the suppressor looking nice with the tan, looks good)
    Signature Removed

Comment

That's some parcel tape around the a sheet of A4 in the centre of the silencer :D

Everything is metal in the right places, so body, RIS, ACOG.

Ideally would be good to do it in a way I could remove if changed my mind (or get it wrong!)

Comment

krylon with a well shaken can, from a fair distance, then run it over with a rough, dry cloth or brillo pad.

Comment

I find a light spray around the area and then sand it with wet & dry, steel wool or a rough sponge or something. A combination can achieve good results. If you don't want any scratching it's harder though, but I think slight scratching adds to the look. Ben beat me too it though.

I prefer it more beat up like this though:

Comment

Originally posted by Robin-Hood View Post
            I prefer it more beat up like this though
            That is very beaten up! :D

Hopefully I'm looking for a more "I got dusty in the desert" than "used and abused (mainly abused!)" look

Comment

You want to look at dry brushing or somthing similar, with a paintbrush with partially dry silver or grey paint on it..
              Signature Removed

Comment

Theres a guide on arnies from which you nabbed that picture from mate

Look for the "Afghan and back" thread. Also look at Guinness's stuff

Comment

You could try some powdered paint, steal one of them powder puff things chicks use to put make up on with, to apply it.

You may have to seal it after with some chalk pastel seal, Hairspray is also known to seal on powders

Comment

Originally posted by FunkycHUNKY View Post
                    Theres a guide on arnies from which you nabbed that picture from mate

Look for the "Afghan and back" thread. Also look at Guinness's stuff
                    Nabbed from here, knew I'd seen an actual guide somewhere before - sounds like was Arnies! :D

Comment

dude just buy a real gun...der :D

haha il pm you a very good one
                      Last edited by BALBOSA; 17 August, 2011, 23:34.

Comment

I would use a large rounded brush from a model shop and some acrylic paints, silver, black and which ever colour sand or tan you are looking for. Load your brush with the silver paint first and then very gently , using the flat side of the brush, smooth the brush against the raised areas of the gun. Then take a small of water and the black and tan paints and drip a bit of the Tan into the water, then darken it with some of black, when you have a very watery brown dip a clean brush into the “wash” and apply to the gun. The “Wash” will automatically find low points and fill them with the sand/brown colour to make it look like the weapon has acquired wear. The final step would be to load the brush with a Tan paint and then wipe on a kitchen towel may times, once the brush appears dry, gently “dust” the gun, as if you were dusting for finger prints. You Tube has some useful tutorials or applying washes and dry brushing, which I personally think can look far better than just applying a light spray from a can.

Comment

Guide on how to get the look of the gun you posted:

http://ukairsoftzone.co.uk/forums/to...and-back-look/

Comment

Okay don't fret! I'm here :D

If you want to have less paint (dust) on your rifle just follow the guide I have put up (The best one is on Arnies as UKAZ wouldn't let me have all the pictures up :/) then all you need to do is keep your rag or cloth filled up with white spirit more, that way the paint will come off more easily. If you are on the Arnies one as well look at how I did my EMAG's. You can see in the comparison pictures some had more paint left on than others, and that was all because I had just topped up the rag with white spirit. Just take your time with it, if you take too much off you have to start again, so gradually take it off until your happy

Comment

Here's my M4, I was trying to make it look more used & abused than just dusty but I think it turned out pretty well. Lightly painted, then wet & dry & brushing, then dry brushed a couple of places with paint for highlighty stuff, mainly on the other side around the dust cover and forward assist so can't be seen. I haven't touched the pistol grip or silencer though.

bumpity :p

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jagillham Find out more about jagillham
                              Working...
                              X