Do You Trust Mesh Googles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Trust Mesh Googles?

heres a video i was asked to make. enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqveLODwnf8
    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Re: Do You Trust Mesh Googles?

Yes I do, i've used nothing else for nigh on 4 years.
    HK MP5k PDW//IMI Uzi//HK MP5a4//HK MP5a5//M3 Grease Gun//HK51//L119a1//HK G36k//Colt M653//Colt M733 with M203//Steyr AUG A1//AMD 65//DSA SA58//Colt M16vn//H&K G3a3//Sig P226//Colt 1911a1//Sig P226r//STI 2011

Comment

Same here. My first skirmish I used the standard plastic glasses.
      Second skirmish I invested in a pair of mesh goggles. Had them for 3 years and never missed a beat.

Plus they don't steam up which is a huge bonus

Comment

Yep. Used em for a year now and never looked back!
        Originally posted by ste887
        yes but multicam is the new black
        and black is the new gay

Comment

This is why I use ESS V12's.

No ifs, no buts, just great protection.

Comment

in all fairness this is a good test to show how dangerous some eye protection can be ( not saying all mesh, but if its not high quality mesh it can be bad! ) I will definitely be taking note of the condition of my eye wear before every round at game days!
            I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Comment

Been using Herosharks for ages now, had a good few strikes in a skirmish with damage - Plus, I tested them myself in a similar fashion to the video, again with no damage.
              I trust them.

I didn't trust those cheap "Sansei" or whatever goggles in the first place, that vid confirmed it.

Comment

i wouldnt feel safe using mesh goggles, couldnt the bb smash and then go through the mesh? never seen it happen but wouldnt it be possible?
                PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

Think I'll stick with my V12s, no fogging and no worries about protection.

Comment

Good test, only things I would say is to brace the glasses a bit better. On your face, they have nowhere to bounce back when bbs hit them, because they are snug on the bridge of your nose, whereas your cheaper glasses were free to bounce around which I would imagine would help soften the impact. Possibly a negligible difference, but still

Certainly worth sending your vid around to sites/shops advising them NEVER to invest in cheap mesh.

I personally hate mesh because it makes me look like a bug! Glasses not only look cooler, but I trust the lenses a lot more! I currently have 5.11 (not a geardo, I just liked the look!) 'Shear' ones. They look like sunglasses, fit really snug (no big gaps), and don't steam up at all if you use motorcycle anti-fog.

TKOS and I tested them by bracing them against a head-sized stone (so they could not bounce back upon impact), leathered them from POINT BLANK on full auto at 350fps, 420fps DMR, and from an 8mm shotgun on Green gas. That's 3 0.34g 8mms comig out at probably 250fps each! All the glasses had afterwards were two tiny scuffs on the UV protective coating. If I'd have had a 500fps boltie to hand I would've tried that point blank too!

Good test mate, thanks for sharing!
                    Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

had massive steam up problems using goggles hero sharks mesh solved the problem have been shot point blank no problem trust my eyesight with them also who is silly enough to get full autod in the face at point blank would be concerned about the receiver and the shooter in any airsoft game instinct should turn your head away and only a double tap shot ?!!!!!!!!!!!"!

Comment

Interesting test results, though that doesn't look like the best quality mesh mask around. I think me using fogged up eye protection* puts me at more danger, but it's certainly a point to consider.

Originally posted by neville521 View Post
                        had massive steam up problems using goggles hero sharks mesh solved the problem have been shot point blank no problem trust my eyesight with them also who is silly enough to get full autod in the face at point blank would be concerned about the receiver and the shooter in any airsoft game instinct should turn your head away and only a double tap shot ?!!!!!!!!!!!"!
                        I think the point is that the damage accumulates - if you're not checking your eyewear properly before you wear it, it's going to start giving way and weakening until one day a BB goes straight through. With solid lenses, they're either intact or they're broken - you won't unknowingly wear damaged protection.

*Yes, you can get anti-fog spray but speaking personally, I've never found it to be very effective.
                        My good man, why do you bandy words like this? You are wasting time...Words are potent in debate, deeds in war decide your fate. Then don't go on piling up the words, but fight!
                        - Patroclos, The Iliad

Comment

Random unrelated post, but I decided to test some of the safety glasses and goggles that we have for use on site (not mesh, for reasons that will become obvious), purely for my own curiosity. Not in any way scientific, but it was interesting.

Tested JSP over specs, available from most hardware stores.

Bear in mind, that the ones I tested had been in the back of my truck for about 2 years and were almost un-useable because of the amount of scratches on the lenses.

Also tested a new set of Uvex goggles (don't have the details available to hand)

Both items are BS EN 166 compliant, but to different levels because of their construction

1st test was a standard single shot with a standard .2 at 500fps. Both passed, but both were marked
                          2nd test was a burst (.2's at 350fps, 38+rps). Goggles passed without a mark, glasses lost a leg, but were still serviceable and would be covering your eyes.
                          3rd test was a little on the silly side. Air rifle @ 550fps with a 14.5grain 5.5mm pellet, equating to roughly 1200fps with a .2, or over 13J from around 10 feet, glasses lost their other leg, but again did not fail across the lens area. Goggles were left with a slight dent.
                          Final test was just insane, and was the same air rifle on the glasses from around 1 foot. Lens finally failed.

Comment

Good test. By the looks of that a 500 sniper would have gone through them point blank. Unlikely to ever be in a position of being hit by a 500 fps sniper point blank but you never know. I have been hit in the side of the face from about 12 inches befor. That cut me through a balaclava.

Guess that's what you get for knife killing noobs when they dont take their hits.
                            Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Those who say anti fog spray does not work have not tried Salclear.

I also found many brands of antifog to be at best moderately useful and they wore off far too quickly so I was fogging up a couple of hours into a game.

I fogged up just about everything, even thermal lens ESS goggles with the foam removed for extra ventilation.

I am a big guy and I sweat like hell.

With Salclear, no issues unless its raining heavily and then you get a bit of smearing. Which can be cured by only applying the Salclear on the inside of the lenses. Otherwise its good to go.

Its cheap as well compared to other products.

Best of all, it does not need frequent applications and I have had a single application last 3 full game days over a period of 2 months. Its the muts nuts. No, I have no interest or relationship with Salclear. I just believe in sharing the wealth.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jonny lovegrove Marshal @ ZED Adventures: The Mall - RIP 2018 Find out more about jonny lovegrove
                              Working...
                              X