• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swiss Cheese & General Piston Weight Reduction

EPIC FAIL but nice work

Comment

£40 odd quid for a piston and cylinder head set...lol. Oh dear.

What you should have done was bought either an SHS cylinder head or an Ultimate one...Some sorbo and a spare piston, or 2 for that price...

I think what you are attempting is like having an arguement then half way through contradicting yourself. I don't see any advantage in using the Aluminium piston head, most manufacturers use the same Aluminium but the piston heads still weigh about 5 gramms more than pom ones. If you wanted to be extreme I would have sent you a 12mm 1mm neoprene pad for a pom head.

Ditch the Aluminium piston, head but still use the Cylinder head. I would use something like the Action piston head without the bearing set on the back with a 1mm neoprene pad on the front.

Those extra 5g will completly negate all the hard work you have done to try to get the moving mass down in weight.

I have had single sector set ups spinning over 60 a sec without doing half that to the piston...lol. Without signs of wear when I stripped it to look.
      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

What I wanted from the set up was to to use sorbo padding. Previously got some from the UK... very unsatisfied with it. In my opinion, too dense and poorly cut. That and the piston head side come off within 100 shots, and the cylinder one within 3000. The ARS one comes much better finished, with more play and most importantly self adhesive.

The aluminium set was what I could lay my hands on, so I took the opinion that I could remove material from the piston to bring the overall weight down to what it would have been with the polymer head. Total weight is 22g.... only 1g heavier than a polymer set without modification.

Comment

I have used the softer sorbo and found that it chews pistons as it is spongey and compresses and just seemed to not work as well. It is not easy to cut. People want daft money to cut it on CNC water jet cutters. Other places will mold it for you but it is £140 for the molds.

I have done loads and if you make sure you rough up all surface to be bonded and use Super Glue Gel. They never come off, I have had no failures to date. Even if the holes are slightly off it won't make any difference to the dampening process. Just bloody annoying...lol.

By spongey I mean it seems to slow the pison down and causes issues in fast set ups. I am talking high 30's +.
          Gun tech.

Comment

£140 does not seem too much for a mold if the finish is good Presumably many hundreds of units could be made from the one decent mold.

Shall see how this goes anyway, it's not going to be the highest stress set up, so might be ok!

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
              £140 does not seem too much for a mold if the finish is good Presumably many hundreds of units could be made from the one decent mold.

Shall see how this goes anyway, it's not going to be the highest stress set up, so might be ok!
              Adinfinitum....mmm...May revisit that.
              Gun tech.

Comment

So Midas I'm a bit confused, in a high speed set up would you use the sorbo pads?

Comment

Yup, I use it to correct AOE. At our fps levels I sometimes just layer 1mm neoprene pads.
                  Gun tech.

Comment

You took a fair bit off, grab a polymer piston head & you're set.

Here's my friends extremely lightened piston for comparison.

Comment

I really don't see how the pistons need lightening this much.

My P90 is shortstroked by 3 teeth, and I have only swiss cheesed literally 10 small holes only in the top of the piston.

It's running at 38 rps with no issues what so ever (so far) and I have put a fair few high caps through it.
                      How to deal with cheats.......

Originally posted by cactus
                      Put them in an empty room, chuck a few dynatecs in there with them.
                      And then just spray them with a vulcan, that'll teach them how to behave..

Comment

Playing with the piston mass can change ROF, FPS and noise levels.... and that is why people do it

Comment

Playing with the piston mass can change ROF, FPS and noise levels.... and that is why people do it

Replace cheese with piston...

Comment

Fair enough but the differences in the above would all be so minimal.
                            How to deal with cheats.......

Originally posted by cactus
                            Put them in an empty room, chuck a few dynatecs in there with them.
                            And then just spray them with a vulcan, that'll teach them how to behave..

Comment

More than you would think, I've seen tests where just by use of swiss cheese and nothing else...

ROF has been increased from 17/sec to 20/sec (That's near enough 20% increase in speed!)
                              Db reading has gone from 98Db to 94Db

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way DB works is for every 1 +/- that is 10x volume.

Comment

That's wrong 1 DB isnt 10x louder than the one before

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jagillham Find out more about jagillham
                                Working...
                                X