Combat shotgunner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat shotgunner question

I dont suppose any of you guys know how many shells a military shotgunner would carry into combat?
    Thanks in advance
    Rob

Re: Combat shotgunner question

probably about 40-80 plus main rifle
    trading WE M16A1 for CYMA or RS SVD with PSOP
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ting-trades%29

Comment

Not enough

Comment

You don't really get military personnel taking just a shotgun out into combat. Their main use is for breaching doors or very close CQC. As stated above, you'd have your main rifle with you then some buckshot and slug rounds, possibly 20 of each.

Comment

I doubt you would carry that much to be honest, Most carry an AR etc then a shotgun is slung or holstered on the back with a full load plus a spare load at the least, at most its 3-4 tube loads (as in your guns maximum load of shells IRL somewhere between 2-6)

As said shotguns are carried primarily for breaching locked doors. Other than their use in the real world military is very limited, they are more found in police units etc where they are pretty much guaranteed to be in a CQB environment.

This Post may contain my opinions and if you disagree with them Tough S**T!

Comment

Given that a shotgun is nowhere as lethal as an assault rifle I wouldn't expect there to be a huge number of shells carried. circa 20 of each type? This would leave ample space for M4 mags etc
            King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
            https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
            www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Ok I know these two videos don’t tell you how many shells they would have on them but they’re about the British Army Combat Shotgun and think they're both quite good and could give some ideas to people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkL_MZLaqSs

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/sup...ns/17927.aspx#

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
                Given that a shotgun is nowhere as lethal as an assault rifle
                I'd say otherwise. Have you seen what a breaching slug can do to human flesh? A shotgun is incredibly lethal in an urban environment.

However, the Assault Rifle is an all rounder whereas a shotgun's use is indeed very limited.

Comment

I saw a video of one of our chaps out there, he had from what i recall, 5 shells in the stock shell keeper sleave and half a dozen on the sling, red in the sleave, green on the sling (slug and shot?) and there was plenty of gaps in his sling for more. Thats all he had, though he was at a check point so probly had his rifle and extra rounds close by.

Cant recall where i saw the image though or whether it was Iraq or teh Ghan.

Comment

Originally posted by viking View Post
                    green on the sling (slug and shot?)
                    It could be a fragmentation round. From what i recall, most slug rounds are white.

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
                      Given that a shotgun is nowhere as lethal as an assault rifle I wouldn't expect there to be a huge number of shells carried. circa 20 of each type? This would leave ample space for M4 mags etc
                      Have you ever seen the wounds of people hit with either round? A "shotgun" is far too generic to judge as they can be loaded with such a varity of types of ammo. Bird shot at long range is obviously ineffective against people but a close range hit from 12 gauge solid shot or several large shot almost the size a 9mm round each will impart far more energy than a little .223/5.56 which may just penetrate straight through with little immediate stopping power.

Both are just as lethal as each other. The rifle is obviously more accurate at range.

Comment

as much ammo as his poor little body can take

Comment

Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                          X