• deans or tamiya

whats the benifits of switching from a tamiya style conector to deans ones

thanks

Re: deans or tamiya

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123131
    sigpic

Comment

allows for more current to pass, therefore increasing performance (sometimes)

Linky here>> http://airsofttutorials.com

Comment

+1 ^ Increased trigger response also
        "They love it, they do, they love it"

Comment

Plus I use mini deans which is a smaller connection, therefore lipos in the ris is alot easier.

Comment

Much better electrical connection and can handle more current.

So normally you get a better ROF if the gun and battery are good enough and the connector does not get hot like a tamiya does (thermal/electrical inefficiency)

Small tamiya's throttle a guns power transfer.

On the down side, unless you get the XT marked ones they can be a bugger to unplug, there is a risk of a short if the connectors do not press together perfectly (though admittedly very low) due to the gap allowing something to bridge the connectors and you have to have some skill with a soldering iron.

When soldering the connectors, the tabs have a nasty habit of melting in the plastic housing which is incredibly annoying. I probably need a more powerful soldering iron. Nylon XT deans are more resistant to this melting.

Its also worth mentioning that I normally find new Deans plugs have a breaking in period where they are tight as a very tight thing to plug and unplug! Plus I have seen people break them by pulling on the leads as they could not get a grip on the connectors.

I use them myself but they do have issues as above.

Comment

XT60's are a good choice if you have the space.

Comment

Wait, a little off topic, whats the best connector? (non lipo)
                -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

XT60
                  sigpic

Comment

Use a dremel cutting wheel or knife blade to cut small serations in the pastic sides of the deans plugs. This gives you something to grip and makes unpluging a dodle. When I fitten deans connectors I was blown away by the increase in ROF!

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                      Much better electrical connection and can handle more current.

So normally you get a better ROF if the gun and battery are good enough and the connector does not get hot like a tamiya does (thermal/electrical inefficiency)

Small tamiya's throttle a guns power transfer.

On the down side, unless you get the XT marked ones they can be a bugger to unplug, there is a risk of a short if the connectors do not press together perfectly (though admittedly very low) due to the gap allowing something to bridge the connectors and you have to have some skill with a soldering iron.

When soldering the connectors, the tabs have a nasty habit of melting in the plastic housing which is incredibly annoying. I probably need a more powerful soldering iron. Nylon XT deans are more resistant to this melting.

Its also worth mentioning that I normally find new Deans plugs have a breaking in period where they are tight as a very tight thing to plug and unplug! Plus I have seen people break them by pulling on the leads as they could not get a grip on the connectors.

I use them myself but they do have issues as above.
                      You know what, I recently bought a pack of 15 deans connectors for some ludicrously low price like £3.50, so obviously china-crap. But I have not had the issue with them melting at all, whereas the older, cheapo ones used to do it all the time.

I've also started clamping them by the far end of the contact which I am soldering and using a high voltage soldering Iron, so maybe the 2 combined help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jelliffe99 View Post
                        XT60
                        I disagree. I think Traxxas connectors are superior, they offer lower resistance and are rated up to 100amps whereas XT60 are only rated up to, as you may have guessed, 60.

Or if you want the absolute highest performance and space doesn't matter, 6.5mm Castle Bullets.

Though it doesn't make much of a difference for us, most of us aren't using 14.8v 60C LiPos continuously like in the RC world. Any high performance connector will do just fine, pick whichever is most suitable for your need.

Comment

Damn too late to edit, excuse the double post. Was going to add that TX connectors are much harder to install so XT60s are better for ease of use. Like everything in airsoft I don't really think there is a best, only pros & cons and you have to find out if the pros outweigh the cons in your particular scenario.

Anyway OP you will probably see a slight increase in RPS (by 1 or 2) and slightly cooler wiring/motor after extended use. Though as I said, not much difference in airsoft. We don't need continuous power even a fraction as much and we don't do things like this:

Last edited by Robin-Hood; 15 September, 2011, 17:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Bachelarius View Post
                            You know what, I recently bought a pack of 15 deans connectors for some ludicrously low price like £3.50, so obviously china-crap. But I have not had the issue with them melting at all, whereas the older, cheapo ones used to do it all the time.

I've also started clamping them by the far end of the contact which I am soldering and using a high voltage soldering Iron, so maybe the 2 combined help a lot.
                            I did that and bridged the contacts causing a short on an 11.1v lipo battery.

Comment

Dont want to add another thread, so these castle bullets are the 'best' then? I was gonna steal a set of traxxas connectors of my mate who rc's as i know theyre pretty epic. I have a rear wired m16 with a full stock so space really isnt an issue. I could probably fit another battery in there...
                              -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                              -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gunslinger Find out more about Gunslinger
                              Working...
                              X