Gearbox service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox service

So I recently bought a dboys scar light and the fps is a bit low (235) and would like to change the spring to get it shooting around 328 but no higher. The fire selector switch seems to be hit and miss too. My question is, are there any forum members who do gearbox servicing and what sort of price should I be looking at? Have only ever worked on an ICS split gearbox (the upper part) so dont really know my way around a standard gearbox. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Re: Gearbox service

It won't be a spring issue, can almost guarantee you that!

Will be down the air leaking. Which means testing the piston head, cylinder head, air nozzle and hop rubber.

Best place to ask is your local site, as you save 2 lots of postage. I'd think £10 - £20 tops, plus any parts required

Comment

as Jag said best find somebody local, although 10-20 may be a little inaccurate, a lot of places charge £35 to open a gearbox and then the price of any parts on top. Can be a bit of a killer!

Comment

Personally I'd never trust any site or shop going inside my gearbox. Whatever they might tell you they are only driven by a desire to solve your problem as quickly as possible, and will often only put in the parts that they sell (not necessarily the best).

There are some techies on here who I would trust a lot more, but really it isn't a difficult job to do yourself. Just do some research before hand and look up some videos on mechbox or youtube of people disassembling your gun. It's really just a case of putting things back in the correct position and not losing any gear shims. Your problem should either be the air seal (usually a good massage of the piston head o-ring does it) or if that doesn't help then a spring change.

It's good stuff to learn!
        Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

thanks lads. Will try somewere local, Do you reckon it would be cheaper if I opened the gearbox myself and give them it in parts? can take it apart ok its the getting it back together that I dont think I could manage.

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
            thanks lads. Will try somewere local, Do you reckon it would be cheaper if I opened the gearbox myself and give them it in parts? can take it apart ok its the getting it back together that I dont think I could manage.
            Better to take it as a whole, some places charge the same for whole or "Lunch box" guns but others charge more if the gun is in a lunch box. Also less likely to lose bits if its whole.

Comment

Only if you take it to shop, even then I'd seriously question them.

So long as you don't lose anything, it makes no odds to the repairer. They'll only have to take it apart anyway.

I say give it a go yourself first, worse case send it off. The problem is probably as simple as a new hop rubber, or oiling up the piston head O ring.

Comment

I have worked on literally hundreds of guns internally doing repair work. So this is my point of view and no I am not trying to offer my services!

Have a go hero's and giving guns to mates that think they are top airsoft mechanics gives me 70% of my work. Small fixes become big problems once someone who does not know exactly what they are doing starts messing. Most often I am handed bits in a box with screws and all sorts missing and smashed parts caused by a failure to fit correctly or people breaking things in frustration.

I charge £25-£35 to strip a gun down and then any parts on top if required, though I prefer the customer to provide parts so I can't be accused of trying to sell stuff to the customer! Labour might increase if the gun requires a lot of work. While I am in the box I give it the full check over. I look at wear and tear and make recommendations with what I see. I check the shimming, give a regrease if required (I normally do this to be honest) and do all the little things like adjust the motor height and get the gun working tip top.

I used to do guns at mates rates but then I used to get over whelmed with jobs and made nothing from it. People took advantage and I started to hate doing the work. If I am making a reasonable rate doing the work then its just business done to the best of my ability. Its professional and done right.

Since I started charging I get far less to do but I am happy with that. Its a skilled job and ought to be compensated as such. I have never had a single complaint with any of the work I have done and that is rare in airsoft.

Comment

Hopefully needless to say, don't use actual oil.

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                  Only if you take it to shop, even then I'd seriously question them.

So long as you don't lose anything, it makes no odds to the repairer. They'll only have to take it apart anyway.

I say give it a go yourself first, worse case send it off. The problem is probably as simple as a new hop rubber, or oiling up the piston head O ring.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mack Im Mark from Lurgan,Co. Ard Mhacha in Ireland, Find out more about mack
                  Working...
                  X