Greenham Common

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenham Common

As someone who knows Newbury well, it surprised me a little to find that just a few miles away from Newbury is this place, Greenham Common.

I bring it to your attention as it is currently derelict, and looks like an interesting spot for an airsoft site to be set up. Newbury being just off the M4 and A34, would be within easy reach of Reading/Oxford/Swindon as well as other places.

Anyway, enough talking:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.378...7&z=16&iwloc=A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Greenham_Common

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...og&sa=N&tab=wi

If you live near Newbury, I strongly suggest making an effort to visit, as it is an extremely interesting place.
    Airsoft. The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Re: Greenham Common

Played a few games there in the past with MOD Friends, not in the area where the Bunkers are though.

Comment

Was there a paintball site there in the past?

I have distinct memories of doing paintball about 10 years ago over that way...

Comment

I usually go over there with RC cars, on the runway. Anyways, i dont think it can be rented or purchased, however if you talk to the council, and it cant be rented / bought xsite are looking for new sites in the area to open up in the future.
        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

I just couldn't play there.

Too many bad memories of stinking butch/lesbian anti cruise missle protesters who hadn't seen a shower in months!
          sigpic

Comment

I live the best part of 10 minutes from Greenham Common, and it'd be an ideal site. However I doubt it'll ever come to any fruition. Farmers keep their cows up there, and there's also quite a lot of ground nesting birds there, in the summer there are signs everywhere that the council have put up saying that not even dogs are allowed off their leashes. The fire service also use part of it, there's a burned out plane shell which has been made of cast iron. Couple those with the fact that their used to be Nuclear Weapons in the bunkers and I doubt it'd get used. It's a shame, cos some of the terrain is quite varied. I'd love to fight through the radio tower... Alas! Although don't let my pessimism stop you, if someone sets up a site there I'll be over in a flash!

*EDIT* Oh, by the way, loving the the Dihydrogen Monoxide website. I bet that catches a lot of people out
            sigpic

Comment

Tbh its not that great for airsoft. The runway areas pretty open and flat, the bunkers are just a few large mounds with tunnels straight through and that's pretty much it these days. The buildings are all office/warehouses now and the underground bit is privately corporate owned, iirc plans to use as a data storage stack. So unless someone invested heavily to build on it its no use really :-(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

RAF Greenham common has been used by several site operators over the years .

Namely Airsoft Adventures (Paul Baldock) back in the late 90s and I believe WWZ back in mid 2000s .

It was once upon a time an amazing site (although in the early years it was divided between airsoft and paintball)

I do believe it is still under the management of Landmark

Comment

My chemistry teacher went on about Dihydrogen monoxide and how it is linked to all murders, suicides and criminal activity and how someone had brought it to school took one girl the whole our and ten minutes to get it

Comment

Originally posted by I'mhitalready View Post
                    My chemistry teacher went on about Dihydrogen monoxide and how it is linked to all murders, suicides and criminal activity and how someone had brought it to school took one girl the whole our and ten minutes to get it
                    Water off a Duck's Back LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dogmeat View Post
                      Was there a paintball site there in the past?

I have distinct memories of doing paintball about 10 years ago over that way...
                      Yes there was Paintbal and Airsoft in the early days following the closure, another Site that would be brilliant to play on would be the DERA (now Qinetiq) site at Shoeburyness/Foulness Island.
                      I used to deliver Munitions there form ROF for testing and it's a massive place with Bunkers, mothballed Railway Carriages etc.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

The King Speak danish, english, german and spanish. Find out more about The King
                      Working...
                      X