I think I over filled a colemans tin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I over filled a colemans tin

Well thanks to a mac coupler and a pressure valve and 1 full and 1 half full 13kg propane tanks someone a few doors down no longer wanted I now have been able to refill my colemans propane tins

Just have a small issue the 3 days I filled a can from the freezer and my 13kg propane was in my laundry room to warm up a bit as its a tad nippy outside after filled I put the colemans tin on the scales it was around 840g

Then yesterday I filled another tin taking it from the freezer and this time the tank was outside I put the tin on the scales and only got 730`ish grams

So today I put the propane tank into my laundry it`s hotter then normal as I have been gaming and watching my big screen so its got to be around 25c in the laundry anyway I filled the last few tins

All of them were over 1030g`s one even had around 1055g`s in it.

As new I know colemans around around the 880g mark I just gassed up a few mags till the tins were coming up around the 950g mark as I did not want them blowing up on me when they warmed up.

Does anyone have any idea what the safe weight would be on these tins ? They say 4 bar on them and I have a gauge I re-filled one and my gauge was getting around 6bar and yet again the tin was around 1030g so I filled up a few gas m4 mags and shot my pdw. It did seam to have a tiny bit more kick but I don`t think I`ll let one be over 950g before I let it warm up.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this ? I guess the tiny bit of silicone Im adding to my tins must be adding 1g but no where near the extra 150g of gas it seams to have filled.

Does anyone know what weight of propane is safe to store in them ? as I will admit that if its safe to an extra 150g of gas into them then well that would mean I`d never need to take 2 tins with me and save be a fair bit of space in my bag when going to a skirmish but I don`t want to blow myself up.

I know they have a safety valve on them but I`d rather not have propane go everywhere.
    sigpic
    Oh when will I get a decent knights stoner LMG aeg ?

P mags up for sale http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...encer-200mm-m4

Re: I think I over filled a colemans tin

They have DO NOT REFILL splattered across them in 20 different languages for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post
      They have DO NOT REFILL splattered across them in 20 different languages for a reason.
      And Airsoft weapons come with big warnings saying not to shoot at people , but every one on this forum ignores it

At the OP They should be fine , considering it not that warm now , I've been refiling mine for years , just empty a bit out if your that worried

Lastchancers.co.uk
      Lastchancers.co.uk

Comment

Cool man thanks I may buy one of the refillable tins at some point I just thought 10% over would be fine but 20% might be pushing my luck.

Ah they wont ever get over 22c my house is air-conditioned but if I went to a game in the summer they might hit 30c not much of a worry in the winter.

Cool then think I`ll stick with 1kg as my max weight the extra pressure you get for the 1st 6 or so mag fills is really nice when shooting but the smell of this old propane with the extra safety additives is not very nice lol

Has anyone ever managed to blow the safety valve on a colemans tin ?
        sigpic

Comment

most tins that hold propane have a saftey mech on them, so if they get too warm and expand they should release themselves safely. as long as there's no naked flames about you should be ok,

best one is i filled a gas mag for my pistol and did a bit of taget shooting in the back garden... put it in the conservatory... next day? heatwave in the UK!! who'd of thought it! i come to use that mag again it's buggered. due to it blowing all the seals.. lol

the oprative is the word SHOULD don't take what i say as a fact.
          Dan Wesson FPS downgrade and Action smoothing tutorial written by me! :- here

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post
            They do, that is a bit dangerous, it's not worth losing a body part over :/

Comment

yeah I once had a hi capa mag blow in the heat and it fell off the unit it was on and into a backpack god it took me ages to find it lol

I don`t think I`ll push`em over 950`ish grams but when I think about it I can`t see 1030g`s being a huge deal if their supposed to be safe to hold up to 50c with the normal fill then they should go another 20% at 30c might leave one in the sun come summer time just to see if it blows

And yeah all colemans tins have the extra safety valve.

Oh the price I pay for free green gas lol
              sigpic

Comment

My TM M92FS didnt like propane...

R.I.P TM M92FS, You will be sorely missed :'(
                Kiran Payne
                TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil
                Looking for another TM G17 and a TM M870

sigpic

Comment

I'm a licenced fork lift driver, so I know about prussure. If it states on the container 4bar, and its saying 6bar you'r in for a big bang. Also DO NOT REFILL a prussureised container if it says DO NOT REFILL, they put it there for a reason. Mainly because a normal person won't be able to tell if the can is in a good enough condition
                  Originally posted by Tiercel
                  The whole OMG LIPOS ARE LIKE MINI NUKES WAITING TO HAPPEN! LIPOS CAUSED HIROSHIMA! 9/11 WASNT A PLANE IT WAS ACTUALLY SOMEONE CHARGING A LIPO WITH A CHEAP CHARGER! thing is highly over exaggerated

Comment

Yes it says do not refill, but that im sure is partly a money making scheme.
                    £8 per tank
                    Or
                    £1 (or less for a refill)

There is sod all wrong with filling them as long as the tank and its seal is in good condition, if it was so uber dangerous then the Mac coupler wouldnt be available to buy.
                    Both the OP and myself have done a lot of reaserch into filling these tanks before deciding to do it.

OP how long did you allow it to fill for?
                    I would start at a minute and depending on its weight either fill for a longer or shorter period.
                    If it comes to the worst case the relief valve will pop open before the side of the can thats what its there for afterall.
                    As for the pressure being over i wouldnt panic too much, whatever its rated to, it will be capable of a lot more, as a Tyre fitter, most car tyres are only rated at around 60psi max, i have had a few tight fitting ones to the 150psi mark without issue, and routinely around the 80-90psi mark, there is always leeway with pressures.

Comment

Ah yes I remember getting a nissan micra into the garage a few years ago with a set of lassa (turkish made budget tyres) on it and they were pumped up to around 120psi and the car had just been doing 70mph on the motorway.

I`m only filling for under 1 min just till the sound of gas rushing into the small tank stops it seams to only take 20 to 40seconds but the small tanks were not 100% empty and I did have the big tank inside a warm room for a lot longer then normal so the filling gas was nice and warm and the small tank was cold.

The extra pressure could have just been because the gas was warmer and I guess at a higher pressure it can cause the liquid gas to stay liquid so I got more liquid propane into the can hence the extra weight.

I was pretty sure that both the propane from the big tank and small tanks storage pressure would be the same so that overfilling would not be an issue ?

Yeah them can`s do look pretty hardcore the only issue I can see is that you might bump the little can while turning the big can upside down and bend the valve and weaken the can but them little colemans cans seam a lot lot stronger then a normal airsoft green gas tin.

Also note to self must try a Tm M92fs on co2 lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Just dont panic and experiment, you will get it right in the end....lol
                        Im sure while still in possesion of all your body parts too

I do remember one thing from the hours of net trawling and the instructions that came with the Mac coupler, make sure the Colemans can is empty.
                        Im sure that was in big bold caps letters so must be important....lol

Comment

Empty huh ? Yeah but it also says you can use it to fill the bigger tank so rigging it up full can`t be a big deal but cold and full hmm.

Its not like I smoke when I`m filling the gas oh no wait I do I don`t normally smoke but when I`m saving money I like to smoke a unicos 5 and say "I love it when a plan comes together"

I did think being able to get an extra 150 to 180g`s into the can was far far too usefull to be safe lol
                          sigpic

Comment

The only time I experiment with stuff that goes BOOM, is when I'm standing at a fair distance :D
                            Originally posted by Tiercel
                            The whole OMG LIPOS ARE LIKE MINI NUKES WAITING TO HAPPEN! LIPOS CAUSED HIROSHIMA! 9/11 WASNT A PLANE IT WAS ACTUALLY SOMEONE CHARGING A LIPO WITH A CHEAP CHARGER! thing is highly over exaggerated

Comment

I am sure that changes in temperature do not change the weight, only density, or have I misread something here?
                              Airsoft. The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

thekonassure Find out more about thekonassure
                              Working...
                              X