Custom mouthguards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom mouthguards

I voted on the side of no, I for some reason don't care for my personal safety. That said, I would welcome any and all things that would make the weekender more of an event. The more things going on, the better the event.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
      I voted on the side of no, I for some reason don't care for my personal safety. That said, I would welcome any and all things that would make the weekender more of an event. The more things going on, the better the event.
      would it make you want one if you lost a tooth?

Comment

Being a relative newcomer to airsoft I'm surprised at peoples disregard for personal safety here

Re:comms - a custom fit mouthguard "locks in" and so doesn't affect speech overly much and you're not likely to swallow it either as they just DON'T drop off your teeth.

Re: chewing through it, Proper custom fit gum shields are very tough. I've had one for rugby for the last 5 or 6 years, and no sign of any wear, and I'm a chewer, regularly popping it out and holding it by the corner with my teeth in quiet times/half time, and still no wear to speak of.

Rampage - you surprise me with your statment of your lack of care for personal safety. Whilst this may be your own personal preference, with the number of people on here that surely look up to you and respect your opinion on all things airsoft, I'd have thought you'd at least try to show a positive on personal safety. Shame on you!

Sniper34d - £16???? WTF you going to the wrong shop to buy your guards dude

Cav - JUST SUPPOSE that at the weekender you and your good lady dentist decide to do this and you DO get a brisk trade, with fitting, molding, refitting and adjustment and cleaning and prepping time between people, just how many do you realistically think you'll be able to get done????? Unless you both planning on working through the night??
        Great idea, but maybe need a little more thought on timing and actual numbers you'll be able to get done, doubt you'd cover the cost of the molding machine and gen hire tbh. End of the day, if people are really interested in their own personal safety - rampage excluded of course - then I reckon they'll either already have one, or go mesh mask route

Comment

FDROFLMHAAO!

Rampage, you're a role model now, man the **** up and start behaving properly........... :P

Comment

How thick are these things? If they were about a mm or two and they didn't affect speech then I'd consider but the impression I get is that mouthguards are bulky.

Comment

Depends on the make of material used, but the blanks they're made from are normally available in 3 and 4mm.
              sigpic

Comment

Bugger, missed the edit window!

Originally posted by freerider View Post
                Cav - JUST SUPPOSE that at the weekender you and your good lady dentist decide to do this and you DO get a brisk trade, with fitting, molding, refitting and adjustment and cleaning and prepping time between people, just how many do you realistically think you'll be able to get done????? Unless you both planning on working through the night??
                Great idea, but maybe need a little more thought on timing and actual numbers you'll be able to get done, doubt you'd cover the cost of the molding machine and gen hire tbh.
                Cost of the moulding machine and genny hire (plus consumables, which will actually cost more if she's busy) is why the poll is up. If there are enough people who might be interested then the unit costs comes down and so does the cost of the guards etc etc

Timing wise, the length of time needed isn't so much as how long spent on each one, it's the delays in the process while things dry and wait for the next stage. Taking a decent impression shouldn't need more than 5-10 minutes but the impression material needs to harden-off afterwards. While that's happening she could either be working on other people's guards (hence the need for decent cross-infection controls expenditure), or taking more impressions. Once the impression is hard, it needs to have a plaster cast taken from it. Again, while that's hardening she can work on something else. Finally the plaster cast is used to heat and vacuum form the guard, which needs to cool and then be trimmed to fit. The 3 to 4 hours I mentioned isn't total working time, it's total production time including natural delays in the process.

At the end of the day, if she's busy enough then yes, she'd keep working.

Guys, thanks for the imput so far and please keep it coming. I've set the poll to last 1 month and we'll gauge interest after that.

What we've also thought is that if there's enough interest she might take pre-orders and give a bit of a discount for payments up front. Trust wise, she's registered with the general dental council and any attempt to rip people off would get her banned from working as a dentist in the UK.
                sigpic

Comment

I voted £25-30.

I've only recently bought a cheap £2.00 gumshield from a sports shop and it's helped a great deal. I can't stand the whole lower face mesh thing. It has already protected me from a couple of shots and also doesn't hinder me much while I'm playing.

So, like everything in Airsoft, if I was able to get a customised version I'd happily part with the cash.
                  "They love it, they do, they love it"

Comment

As I paid £70 for mine, I voted for £50, it obviously depends on the dentist's hourly rate more than the material cost etc in this case, but after having gone through atleast 3 crappy hot water / microwave ones, because they really suck, I thought I should really consult with the professional, it seemed extremely pricey, but after having bad experience with the poor ones, it was worth every penny, not to mention now that they have my mould, they can produce them again for a fraction of the price should I lose mine. However, wearing them for airsoft had never once crossed my mind, I would have never spent that money for airsoft basically, otherwise, yeah, as said, £50+ to be fitted by a professional.

*EDIT* perhaps you should go set up an account in Boxing forums and ask there as well? that's kind of why I got mine, they are the airsoft equivalent of a pair of good eye protection, things that those people would be more than happy to spend that amount of money on.

Comment

Can I ask....
                      Is that the girl that will be taking the impressions ?

MAGPUL MASADA - 5 BURST SHOTGUN - SL9 FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by blobface View Post
                        it obviously depends on the dentist's hourly rate more than the material cost etc in this case
                        In this case she won't be working anywhere near her normal hourly rate. It would be a case of making a bit, but doing a good deal for the players as well.

Originally posted by Auto Freak View Post
                        Can I ask....
                        Is that the girl that will be taking the impressions ?

I wish. In seriousness, you wouldn't object to the one taking the impressions though I doubt she'll go all Rio Carnival.

Somehow I suspect her hourly rate may well be more than my wife's!
                        sigpic

Comment

My rugby one was about 2mm think all round, once you got used to it there were very little problems to speak (once you got used to it!)

Edit: And worth however much i payed for it! (£35 + i think!)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                          Working...
                          X