Barrel length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel length

Intrested to find out people's views on this. Does barrel length make a difference to range or accuracy? a lot of differing opinions on this one, so if anyone would like to shed some light on this fact or fiction please do.
    yes
    54.00%
    no
    46.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Barrel length

Up to a certain point yes.
    I don't see why we needed a poll for this though.
    Lady Astor (first woman MP in the House of Commons): "Mr Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea."
    Winston (getting unsteadily to his feet): "Madam, if I were your husband ... I'd drink it."

Comment

No, proven by fact I've seen pistols equal AEG ranges. Shows that length is not the factor!

Comment

I don't think it does in practice, unless you're using a DMR/sniper rifle as I don't think you'd build enough pressure for it to do anything noticeable. Though a 6.01 tightbore may change that.
        Originally posted by Lt. Macka
        big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

only poll for 7 days so wont hang about too long, jus like to see numbers of people who believe it does or doesn't

Comment

Really????

Yea it does, up to a certain length, then the added friction does have a detrimental effect, seriously, no poll needed, you just end up with misguided responses, with no factual evidence to back up the claim other than "my pistol out shoots anything..."

On another forum, much more factually based than this fine forum there is an In depth experiment proving so, with proper controlled conditions.

Comment

it doesn't, we have tested this ourselves, and accuracy comes down to several things ( range is just about hop btw barrel length won't make a difference, which is why pistols will shoot just as far )

it comes down to
              • BB Quality
              • Barrel Quality
              • Barrel Bore but only slightly
              • Air quality ( a dusty atmosphere will affect accuracy!
              • Air pressure and temperature, and obvious weather conditions
              • BB Weight!
              • Quality of the hop, if its dirty or damaged
              • FPS
              • FPS Consistancy ( an inconcistant FPS will give terrible accuracy! )

A tiny barrel will decrease accuracy but anything up and beyond 303mm is a waste! people swapping a 590mm barrel for a 650mm won't make a difference, they trick themselves into it being better! Your better off getting a good quality barrel, high quality heavier ammo, using semi!

there are a few posts on here about full auto decreasing accuracy is a myth, well believe me it does!
              The hop rubber will move, compress etc each time a bb passes through, if its a harder hop it won't decompress quick enough for the next shot, inconsistent and therefore inaccurate, if you fire a gun on FA and feel it moving slightly in your hands ( which MOST do ) then your getting tiny vibrations, moving the gun back and fourth and up and down, very slightly, but remember 1mm your end is magnified downrange!

You can believe me if you want, its your personal opinion, all of the above is tried and tested by me and my mates. Believe hype if you want, but nothing comes down to testing kit yourself.

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

Then if that's your view, why the bone arsed poll?

Your question was "does barrel length affect range or accuracy" with a yes or no answer.... It can... But so can many other factors, so a dumb assed "yes or no " poll will achieve nothing, by YOUR own answers!!!

Fact, a bb accelerates the length of the barrel, no more. So extend the barrel, you will extend the range, to a point where wind resistance, friction ect are detrimental and no further range can be achieved without other variants such as hop, bore, weight, quality ect... This is not what you asked, your vague poll is pointless by your very own findings!

Comment

Originally posted by madwelshman View Post
                  Then if that's your view, why the bone arsed poll?

Your question was "does barrel length affect range or accuracy" with a yes or no answer.... It can... But so can many other factors, so a dumb assed "yes or no " poll will achieve nothing, by YOUR own answers!!!

Fact, a bb accelerates the length of the barrel, no more. So extend the barrel, you will extend the range, to a point where wind resistance, friction ect are detrimental and no further range can be achieved without other variants such as hop, bore, weight, quality ect... This is not what you asked, your vague poll is pointless by your very own findings!
                  You missing your glasses pal?

Comment

Originally posted by madwelshman View Post
                    However long the barrel, acceleration can only happen until a certain point. Either limited by the volume of air you can squeeze down the barrel.... or the site limits

But this is all irrelevant, as you can get a BB up to the maximum allowed velocity in tiny barrels, look at CO2 pistols - 400fps... within 3 iches!

So clearly length does not equal speed.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                      look at CO2 pistols - 400fps... within 3 iches!

So clearly length does not equal speed.
                      With all gas guns, the longer the barrel, the more time/space given for the gas to expand, increasing the speed of the BB. The reason why C02 is that powerful is because it is stored under much higher pressures than your standard green gas. Obviously, if the barrel is long enough (Probably several metres), then the gas will stop expanding, and the BB will start to slow down, but this is unrealistic with the barrel lengths in airsoft.

Also, it may have something to do with the amount of gas released per shot, which will vary from gun to gun, or in some guns can be adjusted (E.G. Tanaka PCS Rifles). The CO2 pistols I presume you are referring to are not really designed for skirmishing, at least not in the UK. They are more for plinking, and are usually poorly made, with higher power compared to most of the higher end gas pistols.

Dan

Comment

no matey, you miss the point, a gas/co2 gun uses valves to control "power" release, regardless of its stock fps, put on a longer barrel, and the fps will increase.

Length does not equal speed, no, put a m90 spring in a 3ft barreled gun, and it will barely get out of the barrel, but extend a barrel on a gun with an m90 spring, buy a realistic length, say double, and the bb has more time under pressure of the propulsion, be it co2, gas or air, to increase in speed.

Comment

Exit velocity is still same, regardless of how long it took to reach that speed?

Therefore, I don't get what part of the length you think effects range?

Also you can't simply increase length, you have to ensure you have enough air to fill the entire barrel and more. Unlike a real weapon, the air isn't expanding, it's simply being moved from A to B.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                            Exit velocity is still same, regardless of how long it took to reach that speed?

Therefore, I don't get what part of the length you think effects range?

Also you can't simply increase length, you have to ensure you have enough air to fill the entire barrel and more. Unlike a real weapon, the air isn't expanding, it's simply being moved from A to B.
                            Length doesn't increase range (With airsoft guns at least), but the speed of the BB will. A .2 BB fired at 400 fps will go further than one fired at 300 fps. However, the difference in range between say 328 fps and 350 fps is negligible.

You're correct, but this only applies to spring powered guns, which use a plunger to force air out of the barrel. Gas powered guns work differently to them, so the same concepts don't neccessarily apply. There is an optimum barrel length for the size of the cylinder on spring powered guns (Includes AEGs), which is the volume of the air in the cylinder being the same as the volume of the barrel. With this you wil get the optimum power (and therefore speed) from your gun, barrel lengths beyond this are counter-productive, as the BB will only slow down.

Dan

Comment

Clearly speed does have a part to play, but even on the shortest of barrels anybody can achieve 400fps exit velocity.

So you cannot say length equals range. You could say speed equals range.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mack Im Mark from Lurgan,Co. Ard Mhacha in Ireland, Find out more about mack
                              Working...
                              X