Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBBR Drum magazine?

Hey guys,
    Was sat chatting with a few mates of mine (all of which have GBBRs that take M4 magazines). And we got onto the topic of GBBR drum mags.
    As far as im aware, there are no M4 GBB drum mags. (correct me if Im wrong.. and it nullifies my post =,()
    We had the idea of butchers an autowinding M4 drum mag & two GBB M4 mags. Use the top of 1 GBB m4 mag to fit into the magwell & feed & supply gas. use the two gas wells to supply gas & use the autowinder to maybe supply as many as 200 rounds.

WE claim that the magwell can hold enough gas for 120 rounds... so two magwells should be more than enough. Use gas piping to feed the gas from the two gas wells to the flowvalve ect. & have the autowinder feeding about 200 rounds to the loading nozzle. I dont think you'd be able to empty the drum mag on propane until you did controlled bursts... After like 100 rounds it might just vent. CO2 mags might work better but I havent opened up a CO2 mag.

No idea how the bolt lock would be implemented?

Im interested to hear peoples ideas. Fair enough if you think its a bad idea and dont think it would work... Im no gas guru however I have taken apart an expired GBBR magazine & have done a little research into how it would work.

Theres no real reason for the 200round drum magazine other than novelty factor and it was an entertaining idea at the time.

Sorry if this has already been discussed and posted... I cant imagine this hasnt been thought of before
    Kiran Payne
    TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil
    Looking for another TM G17 and a TM M870

sigpic

Re: GBBR Drum magazine?

It could defiantly work but you got to think about the cool down effect...

Comment

Originally posted by SAS Scott View Post
      ... you got to think about the cool down effect...
      Yeah, thats something that came up in out conversation. We reckoned CO2 might lengthen the time before cool down. However we all agreed it would be short controlled bursts. If you were sensible enough the cool down might not be a problem.
      Its all a bit of guess work atm because we have to reference point with 200 rounds.
      I am sure if it was an easy or cheap task, someone like WE would have produced it long ago.
      Kiran Payne
      TM P226 Custom, TM SAI G34, WE SRU G17, WE SAI M&P 9mm, WE SRU Apache XDM IPSC, KWA Kriss Vector Hard Recoil, TM HK416 Recoil

sigpic

Comment

I hope you have shares with Coleman.
        - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

surely couldnt you use the feeding mechanism from a standard mid cap magazine and then use some kind of gas resivoir like a co2 canister or several to power the thing?
          PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

This is just me thinking out loud, but I don't think it's too difficult to make an odd shape gas reservoir if you have workshop access, and since you're thinking about a 200 round drum magazine, you can potentially throw away the whole winding mechanism and stick with the old spring loaded system, although making a spring loaded system from scratch is quite tough, but if you do then you're using the same bolt catch mech as the standard WE magazine, a beta-c-mag style has way more than enough space for you to fit all 200 rounds in a spring loaded system in just one of the two drums, the other could be the gas reservoir, hell, you might even have enough space left to put some batteries and throw in a heat element to keep your gas reservoir half warm.

Comment

WE claim to have enough gas in the magwell for 100 shots? Jesus where did you find that mate. On green gas i can barely squeeze 50rounds out of my WE.

Strange and the cool down effect would be too great in my opinion, even if using co2 i think you would struggle to do a full auto dump of 100rounds and you would definitely need more than two co2bulbs in there.

However saying that, having three co2bulbs would be an advantage as you could develop a method of alternating between each bulb dependant on its pressure. So say if you had fired 40rounds and bulb one was getting low, the mag could knock over to bulb two which would not have suffered cool down yet and fire off another 40rounds.
              (That was I think it may work, even with a full auto dump, however someone clever has to develop the system first)

Comment

I've had an idea at the back of my mind for a while to reduce cool-down. Have the two gas resevoirs like planned but have them feed alternatly through some sort of flip valve. This doubles the time between each resevoir feeding and halves the cool-down? I don't know whether its feasable but it seemed like quite a good idea to me.

Comment

You couldn't have a bolt stop function if it is winding. You can only have this when there is a follower pushing the rounds up.

Comment

Isn't the whole idea of a drum mag to be able to give sustaining fire? If you're going to fire in controlled bursts you might as well save those poor (and very expensive) gas mags by using them normally... the only advantage I can see is not having to reload... but GBBR users should be highly skilled at that already!

Even so, it sounds like a great idea, for a laugh. And you'll almost certainly be the first!
                    sigpic

Comment

by all means not the first;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4WXpd4aJI

custom made jobbie, first one i came accross but there are more...

Comment

Oh woops, already been done, that kind of ruins it..

Comment

Originally posted by gunslinger11 View Post
                          WE claim to have enough gas in the magwell for 100 shots? Jesus where did you find that mate. On green gas i can barely squeeze 50rounds out of my WE.

Strange and the cool down effect would be too great in my opinion, even if using co2 i think you would struggle to do a full auto dump of 100rounds and you would definitely need more than two co2bulbs in there.

However saying that, having three co2bulbs would be an advantage as you could develop a method of alternating between each bulb dependant on its pressure. So say if you had fired 40rounds and bulb one was getting low, the mag could knock over to bulb two which would not have suffered cool down yet and fire off another 40rounds.
                          (That was I think it may work, even with a full auto dump, however someone clever has to develop the system first)
                          Its a combination of claims through WE (on youtube when they released the open bolt scar) and some of my own testing. Admittedly when I actually did the test, I managed 54 rounds on full auto. I remember when the CB system came out WE were claiming there was enough gas for 120 rounds... but that was blatently BS.
                          We've talked about using CO2 bulbs my main issue with CO2 is that 1/3 of the sites I visit outright ban CO2. Saying that, My SCAR is being upgrades for CO2
                          Kiran Payne

sigpic

Comment

Fair enough =D
                            I didn't realise anyone had tried it!
                            Well now I know its possible, May give it a go over summer!
                            Thanks!
                            Kiran Payne

sigpic

Comment

you could rig it up to a hpa tank which would be cheaper and less cool down time

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

S3V3R Marshalled at ZED Adventures The Mall (RIP). I build ships (proper ones) and I shoot guns (toy ones). Find out more about S3V3R
                              Working...
                              X