Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mp40 information for magazine article

Hey Chaps,

I was wondering if you could all be of assistance. I am writing an article on the history and production of the iconic MP40 for a leading airsoft magazine. I would also very much like to cover the airsoft versions, the various makes, their advantages and disadvantages. If anyone can be of assistance in providing additional information, such as other manufacturers and individual features, it would be appreciated.

Lastly, I need pics of your MP40s for the article!

I can be e-mailed at: jayslater (at) uk2.net

With very best wishes,

Jay

ASG: £165:99
    AGM £159:99
    AEG (black/bakelite) £139:99 (Cheap and cheerful; magazines fit the AEG Sten)
    SRC Gen 3 Blowback £249:99 (Tricky magazines to wind)
    TOP £199:99
    Marushin Gas Blowback 8mm £299:99 (There are four versions of the Marushin MP40: The pre-assembled ‘plug cap firing’ (the most common version); the kit version; the early all zinc (PFC) version; the non-blow back version.)

Re: Mp40 information for magazine article

First off you should probably go via the MP38. IIRC, the MP40 was a "simpler-production" version of that.

The main thing I can think of WRT the AEGs is that the AGM versions have a fire selector, but real steel MP38 and MP40s were full auto only (Ironically, the Sten AEGs don't have a selector, but real steel ones did!). The SRC MP40s don't have a selector, and are full auto only.

Also, ASG ones are re-branded AGM guns.

Comment

The MP40 was pretty much a stamped metal, pistol grip version of the MP38, which was a simplification of the MP36. Material shortage and time constraint was pretty much the only thing that pushed MP40 production, which was very rarely issued outside of SS and Fallschrimjaeger battalions, despite common misconceptions perpetuated by videogames like Call of Duty.

MP40's and their derivatives were used up until the 1990's and even the present day- JNA and KLA troops have been spotted with MP40 and Yugoslav copies during the 1990's, and they occasionally turn up in Middle East and African trouble spots as well.

Watch out where you do your reseearch, world.guns is normally a good source but there's a horrible trojan lurking there atm so don't go on it.
      Signature Removed

Comment

Thanks for this, guys, as it's much appreciated. As it goes, I currently work for a publisher who produced a book on the MP40. I also had the pleasure of firing the real thing in a Las Vegas and was surprised at how little recoil there was. Also, as I was told by the instructor, never, ever hold it by the magazine. Booo.

So, any other thoughts on the airsoft MP40s?

Am happy with my AEG. It works flawlessly despite being cheaply made. A few wobbles here and there, and I had the fire selector and power switch removed. Just need to find someone who can smooth over the fire selector.

Comment

Mine's in pieces right now. I'm doing a mod similar to Kalashnikov Kid's - totally gutting the switch mechanism and fitting a new switch with a MOSFET. I'm also eventually going to use the "safety" switch in the bottom of the grip as a selector for times when semi is mandated.

You should also consider joining the UK WW2 airsoft forum and asking over there. They have extensive experience with WW2 airsoft guns.
          http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/index.php

I have a thread there about muzzle nut retaining springs - If you don't already have one, make/get one or your nut may fall off.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

JaySlater Find out more about JaySlater
          Working...
          X