Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shs 32.1 gears

hi all

i fitted some of these gears to my gun.. now i was using a 8.4v battery and the gears kept getting stuck and not going round... but it was working fine with my standard ics gears.

i have bought a 9.6v battery and it turns the gears fine now? is this right?

cheers
    si
    sigpic

Re: shs 32.1 gears

Shimming issue by the sounds of it. does it sound like its struggling? Any grinding noises?
    sigpic

Comment

No mate its fine. I can spin the gears and get a good three rotations. And there's about a mm play in the gears

Si

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

ICS use a different bevel gear and pinion gear, if you own an ICS gun as you hint at, the motor pinion is probably not meshing correctly for efficient power transferral. Though it does sound like bad shimming as has been said.

Comment

Im really at a miss the because it sounds fine when firing.... Im not using the is gears now tho?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by desolation91 View Post
            Im really at a miss the because it sounds fine when firing.... Im not using the is gears now tho?

Yes but is it an ICS motor? The motor pinion is different and designed to mesh with ICS gears not SHS.

Comment

Maybe its the fact 32-1 gears are very torquey and used with uk limit springs is causing problems as I could have sworn those gears are for springs running around 450-500 fps...

Comment

Hmmm i guess your right with the motor lol. What if i put the old gear that the motor pinion touches back in and leave the.other 2 32:1 in

Or what are my other options?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by desolation91 View Post
                  Hmmm i guess your right with the motor lol. What if i put the old gear that the motor pinion touches back in and leave the.other 2 32:1 in

Or what are my other options?

Would not work, your ICS gears are running a totally different ratio.

Plus the ratio you are currently running are super torque up gears. Very slow but as SAS Scott pointed out these are designed for very high fps set ups. If anything they would make the job a lot easier for your gun to pull the spring you are running. It might be that the ratio is so long and the 8.4v battery and motor combo is such that for a single shot on semi, the gearbox just does not cycle fully. Though this is unlikely as the cut of lever ought to control that on semi so regardless of the ratio it ought to complete a single cycle on semi.

The fact it works on a 9.6v battery is interesting. If you had gone to 13:1 ratio gears I would have said it was the high speed ratio, the fact you are running low speed, high torque ratio gears means the gun ought to work on a lower voltage than the stock 18:1 ratio.

Why did you choose the 32:1 ratio gears? Could it be that they were incorrectly described and you actually have high speed 13:1 ratio gears? I have seen this a lot.

Comment

Unless they have been packaged wrong they said 32:1

Its supposed to be a high speed set up :-$

sigpic

Comment

Post a picture it is quite easy to see the difference between 13-1 , 18-1 and 32-1 gears....

High speed set ups are best with 13-1 gears and a very torquey motor eg shs 13-1 gears with a shs high torque motor....

Comment

32:1 is a super torque set up.
                        18:1 is a standard Marui ratio gear set.
                        13:1 is considered a high speed set up.

There are of course a lot of different ratio's.

When you run the gun on a 9.6v battery is the rate of fire significantly faster than you remember it? If so you have a 13:1 ratio high speed set up and quite simply the 8.4v battery does not provide enough "juice" for the gun to turn the mechbox over with your current set up. If it is a Chinese crappy stock battery then that is the issue. You need a better battery and you will find the motor pinion is not providing good power transfer as it is not designed to mesh with those gears correctly.

Lastly, if it is a budget ICS gun with the ICS Turbo 2k or ICS Infinite motor, that is also a contributing factor as those are pretty weak motors. The only ICS motor that has decent torque is the Turbo 3K and you will need a torque motor to adequately pull high speed gears with an 8.4v NiMH battery.

Comment

I know what's going to happen... Im gonna end up putting my old gears back in lol.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SAS Scott View Post
                            Post a picture it is quite easy to see the difference between 13-1 , 18-1 and 32-1 gears....

High speed set ups are best with 13-1 gears and a very torquey motor eg shs 13-1 gears with a shs high torque motor....
                            Very true. I once worked on a gun that someone had "upgraded" and could not get to work.

He had a full SHS internal set up (very nice) but he was running 13:1 ratio gears and a G&P M120 high speed motor and a Chinese 8.4v 1100 mah mini battery. I cried when I saw his set up. We binned the battery, got him on a nice 2200 mah mini sized Lipo (25c, 7.4v) and replaced the motor with a nice 5KU super torque motor. Gun was a beast, 23-24 rps at 345 fps. It's lasted over a year with no replacement parts needed.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                              Very true. I once worked on a gun that someone had "upgraded" and could not get to work.

He had a full SHS internal set up (very nice) but he was running 13:1 ratio gears and a G&P M120 high speed motor and a Chinese 8.4v 1100 mah mini battery. I cried when I saw his set up. We binned the battery, got him on a nice 2200 mah mini sized Lipo (25c, 7.4v) and replaced the motor with a nice 5KU super torque motor. Gun was a beast, 23-24 rps at 345 fps. It's lasted over a year with no replacement parts needed.
                              Oh god.. I do in somehow blame the shops they should atleast say in the description saying that a high speed motor is not suitable for 13-1 gears.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

desolation91 Simon Find out more about desolation91
                              Working...
                              X