Collapse

Pro-Peak Varipulse - a tad misleading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro-Peak Varipulse - a tad misleading?

It says on the box:

Slow/fast charge 4.8v-8.4v NiCad/NiMH Packs.

I have 500mAh 7.2v NiCads (MP7) and 1500-3600mAh 8.4v NiMH packs but this charger's minimum setting appears to be 500mA (0.5A).

So, is it too powerful to slow charge the average capacity battery? Is it misleading and should I get a refund? How do you set yours?

Re: Pro-Peak Varipulse - a tad misleading?

No that is fine .5A is a slow charge anything up to 1 amp is really a slow charge. And since your smallest battery is a 500Mah then it will be fine. Is it a balance charger ?because if it is it will reduce its charging rate to the minimum possible once fully charged. I charge all my batteries at 1.0 and have no adverse effects
    Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

Balance charger? You mean an auto cut-off? Yes.

As I understand it, batteries should be charged at between 10-20% of their capacity... so a 500mAh one should idealy be charged at 50-100mA, right? And a 1500mAh battery at 300mAh.

So .5A (500mA) (the chargers minimum setting) must be too powerful for the 1500 let alone the 500mAh battery?

Comment

These are my 2 main chargers (I have others) but to be honest only use the multiplex now as it is fully programmable. Charges from 0.1A to 5A and then drops right down to maintain a charge and balance the cells £40 quid now but I paid £50 about 2yrs ago. You would need a 13v power supply though as its an input charger meaning it needs an external power source so thats another 30 odd quid on top. As you can see with my Pro peak it is older than yours so is less versatile. It can only trickle charge a 7.2v-8.4v battery at 130Mah on AC/DC or a 9.6v battery DC only and it has fast charge at 3.5A AC/DC (not recommended to do this too often).

[IMG][/IMG]

Feedback link

Comment

I just don't get how this says it slow charges, when at 500mAh minimum it clearly doesn't...

Oh wait... just read that it trickles at 130mAh.... the dial is for fast charging. Doh. I'll get back in my box!
          Last edited by Panoptes; 13 February, 2009, 01:31.

Comment

No not an auto cut off it it constantly monitors the battery capacity and feeds minute power to it to maintain peak charge. Auto cut off would shut the charger down when it reaches maximum charge. Basically it works similar to something like an Optimate on a motorcycle battery. At full charge it feeds in 0amps but is still on and monitoring the battery and as it drops it feeds in the amount to keep it fully charged.
            Feedback link

Comment

lol, it does trickle at 130mah indeed. I slow charged a 9.6v 4300mah battery for about 36 hours, and it still was not done!

Comment

^ For that capacity you have the leeway to fast charge at around 1A ish - but I don't think the Pro-Peak
                is very suitable for fast charging normal, smaller cap batteries.

Comment

I agree with you on that To be honest for the capacity of batteries we use in our hobbies though your 500 is a little small what is it used for I assume its for a small ancillary item like a torch or laser?
                  Feedback link

Comment

It's for the MP7

For my 1400/1500s and up, the trickle at 130 should do fine (if I can remember to prepare a good few days in advance) - each should take about 20-odd hours.

0.5 Amp I'll use when I need a fast charge (Friday night panic!) and shouldn't hurt them too much.

Thanks.

Comment

I would definitely get something like my battery charger, not neccesarily that one but something similar although mine does everthing I need it for, I fly planes, sail ships and subs and use rc cars too so I charge anything from nicd's and nimh's to lead acid and li po's, and that charger does it all and for about 10 quid more than the one you've got. But again bear in mind you add the cost of a power supply. on The plus side to that though if you ever dcide to switch to li po's you will save a packet and increase performance on your gear by a mile
                      Feedback link

Comment

for the mp7 why not try lipo's more power, will last longer, and get faster rof and the batteries are smaller in proportion to the power output. you will probably get a battery 3 times the capability of your nimh's for the same size
                        Feedback link

Comment

I'm quite happy with the 500s, tbh. Everybody dies real quick when I'm gettin' busy with it - so no real need for long life batts. :p

Comment

How should I calculate the time for such a low trickle?

Is it Cap x 1.4 / mAh?

E.g: 2200 cap = 2200 x 1.4 = 3080 / 130mAh = 23.69hrs?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Panoptes Gunnoisseur [n] pron: ['gun-uh-sur', -soor'] [Purveyor of fine taste in firearms]. Find out more about Panoptes
                            Working...
                            X