Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

GBB as a primary - How practical is it really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBB as a primary - How practical is it really?

Hey,
    I know this has probably been discussed a bit, but I couldn't find any real answers.
    I've got a GBB SMG recently and it's hooked me. I'm interested in a GBB rifle. This is not a "what am bestest gun" thread though :p (besides, it's either going to be a SCAR or an AUG, if and when the AUG eventually gets to market)

Basically I'm looking for info from people who use a GBB as a primary regularly on how practical it acutally is. I'm aware of the limitations with only having 30rnd mags, which is something I'm willing to deal with, what I really want to know is how they are on performance, reliability and maintenance.

Performance:
    Most sites are 350fps for rifles. Since gas is subject to boyles law, how easy is it to maintain a consistent setup? As I understand it internal regulators such as the NPAS kit help with that, but being used to a constant 320fps +- 4 from an AEG, will I notice a significant problem here?

Cold Weather Performance:
    This is the big one that I think there is a lot of FUD on the internet. Can a GBB still be used and have it perform pretty well in cold weather? I know you would have much higher gas consumption (less shots/mag) but is it likely at least to do one mag for a gas charge? I play down in Hampshire most of the time, so it rarely gets completely below freezing.

Reliability/Maintenance:
    From what I understand, providing you keep it clean and lube the seals, GBB's tend to be more reliable than AEG's. Is this right or have I been mis-informed?

General Use:
    Obviously you will get the occasions where you get annoyed by someone holding the trigger and winding a high-cap, but overall if you play smart, I would have thought it's rather skirmishable in woodland, assuming you are willing to pay for the mags.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, preferably from people with actual experience with GBB as a main weapon.
    Thanks

Re: GBB as a primary - How practical is it really?

I ran a KWA MP7 as my primary for nearly two years and never had an issue!

Cleaning and maintenance is easy, all I did was field strip the gun when I got home, wipe and lube all the moving parts and re-assemble.

Cold weather is fine, I had an NPAS and used 134A for most games, and switched over to propane for very very cold weather! During last Christmas' game, with snow on the ground, my GBB stuff was firing full auto mag dumps fine when all the AEG's were battling due to cold batteries!

Hope that helps, feel free to ask if I can help any further.

Lee

Comment

Ran an m4 which was great in the summer, just refused to cycle in the winter. Change your play style to accomodate the smaller mags and its great fun. If someone has an aeg with a box mag you will be outgunned every time.
      Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
      King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
      https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

I run my KJW from April -October ish

On propane at 340 , 42rnd mags x7
        It has more range and is more accurate than most aeg's , cleaning is just like a pistol so dead easy , only con per say is the weight and you can't really be sneaky.
        You get used to the lack of ammo.

Lastchancers.co.uk
        Lastchancers.co.uk

Comment

I have a WE SCAR open bolt, and Ive been playing with if for a year now and it runs fine in the cold, my FPS has never really hit above 350. You might get the odd bb flop out the barrel, but thats due the gas pressure in the cold. You will need to keep a good eye on your mags, mainly due to the fact if the weather is really cold they might leak a bit, but that can be solved by keeping your mags warm and lubed constantly. Overall gaming is more fun!
          Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

As long as you get a good make and take care of it you should be fine . My reccommendation would be to wait and get the KWA GBB rifles when they come out , from what has been seen they are amazing.

Any offence taken from my posts is likely intended.

Comment

Originally posted by dj2l8b View Post
              I have a WE SCAR open bolt, and Ive been playing with if for a year now and it runs fine in the cold, my FPS has never really hit above 350.
              Strange, my recently bought RA Tech WE SCAR open bolt gave 463fps out of the box and I had to crank down the NPAS lots to get it down. To the OP, I can only vouch for the aforementioned GBBR but it certainly shows no problem in these cold months and I've never had any leaking mags either (I run 8).

SRC G36C v2 / ICS L85 A2 / ICS M4 RIS Proline all with AirFET mosfets. RA-Tech WE GBB Open Bolt SCAR
              TM chrome Deagle / KWA P226 / WE G18C Gen4

Comment

Its been mentioned a few times but I think it is important, MAINTENANCE IS KEY WITH A GBB, also make sure you have good air seals on hop units and mags as this can ruin the performance of a GBB, which is why there is such a great market in selling mag seals
                King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
                https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
                www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

I run a KJW M4 in the warmer months. Only thing I can really add that's not been covered is the weight. As is a GBBR js near always lighter then its AEG counterpart. The mags make up for it. I once ran with 9 mags. Things where fine until most of them where in my dump pouch after a heated fire fight. Trust me, that's when the difference in weight IS noticeable!! That aside. Running a gbb is very exhilarating :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

we ran WE G36Cs down to -18C last winter when most aegs were really struggling. obviously full auto is not going to be much help at that temperature but then you never use it anyway with a GBBr

Comment

I'll vouch for that! Several guns went down with the batteries failing ! Amazing to see the GBBrs still running.
                      You will only struggle to move to a gas gun as your primary if your used to running around with hicaps hosing everything. You will quickly learn to let others do that. You will move in closer for the more sneaky kills. You will get much more kills due to play more efficiently. It's brilliant ! Had I not needed the cash I certainly wouldnt be selling my g36n

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

Originally posted by Planemo View Post
                        Strange, my recently bought RA Tech WE SCAR open bolt gave 463fps out of the box and I had to crank down the NPAS lots to get it down..
                        Thats with an NPAS mate, obviously out the box it shot at 440fps
                        Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

KWA are releasing GBBRs soon early 2012, cant wait! NS2 system was awesome hopefully this will be included as well!
                          CURRENTLY SELLING ALL AIRSOFT GEAR IN THE NEXT MONTH

Comment

WE G39 runs fine in cold weather. CQB is where GBBs come into their own. Single shot trigger response is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Skolob View Post
                              WE G39 runs fine in cold weather. CQB is where GBBs come into their own. Single shot trigger response is fantastic.
                              wish i could say the same for my we m4 pdw
                              Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Ajhayter Rookie Airsofter, regular motorcylist, avid gamer! Find out more about Ajhayter
                              Working...
                              X