Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Firefly style rubbers or conventional rubbers? Which is "better"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefly style rubbers or conventional rubbers? Which is "better"?

Ok so going down the DMR route, and am stuck on what rubber to use. I am either going to go for an Element or KWA bucking which use the firefly style slit nub inside the rubber, with a biro hop-up nub, OR, i will use a madbull blue or guarder improved bucking with a H-nub. Both will be set up correctly and centered, however, which one will give me the most range and consistency? I am aware that minor inconsistencies in the firefly style rubbers can cause c@#p accuracy but as i said, if they are both set up correctly..... I am aiming to get the rifle shooting and around 380 and using 0.28's.
    thanks

Re: Firefly style rubbers or conventional rubbers? Which is "better"?

I personally think element and KWA hop rubbers are rubbish compared to fire fly..

Just a few hop rubbers I tried:
    Fire fly the best of the best
    systema , TM , guarder clear and midas clear are all the second best.
    KWA , G&P , element and shs rubber I thought weren't overly good but shs and element are good considering they are so cheap.

Nubs:
    Fire fly once again are the best I have used.
    Biro mod is the second best.
    H-nubs are shocking and an utter waste of time IMO.

If you have enough time maybe try the R-Hop mod? If you don't want to do the mod I would suggest fire fly hop rubber and nub with a prometheus tb barrel (thats if money is not object).
    If you are on a budget I would suggest just TM rubber and the biro mod...

Comment

other than the h nub comment Id agree. I get fantastic results with TM buckings and element h hops, the problem is they are hard plastic so quickly dial from set up right to shit then jam.
      what Ive found so far is TK twist barrels are my favourite although I havent tried a prommy yet.

Comment

My best set up was with a gaurder clear hop rubber and the white element h-nub as this has shallower angles than the black h-nub, used this in a P90 and Scar to good effect

Comment

scott what was wrong with the kwa rubber? Found kwa hop ups very good myself. Although they really need 2-3 high caps through to settle them. But after that it was pretty impressive
          TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

I've not had a huge amount of success with the firefly system (it seemed pretty average), but others swear by them so will be trying again in future builds.

The important thing to remember with this is that there is no magic bullet, each build will behave slightly differently. In my experience you hae to be prepared to experiment a bit to work out what the best barrel, rubber, nub, hop unit combination may be for any one build.

Comment

Firefly hop rubber and flat nub for the win, different barrels have different sized barrel cuts which is why some have less success than others with the firefly set. You know the actual name for the flat nub is the firefly catfish... personaly i think we should ignore that fact.

Comment

Right, so for an m14 dmr style weapon, you would say the flat nub would be better with a firefly style rubber? Cheers

Comment

What about the KWA 2G bucking, heard great things about it

Comment

My m14 has a G&P hop rubber and with a G&G hop&barrel (430fps) and get about 65 ish metres out of it .

Any offence taken from my posts is likely intended.

Comment

The firefly flat nub doesnt fit the m14, i suppose you can cut it shorter, same goes with the recoil ak.

the KWA 2g should be if new, unmolested and a 2g, a direct copy of the firefly rubber but not the flat nub.

Comment

My GnG Raider is a testbed for the Falcon double point hop rubber. So far I am very happy with the performance. Only slight niggle is there is a slight variance in hop effect between semi and full auto.

Comment

Hardness is important to play with this time of year youll want to get a softer version in for the cold, and probably keep it there for the summer too we dont really get that hot do we. we are chronoing 10 fps down on normal due to the cold at the moment. we tested it we sat a aeg near a heater for a while then chronoed and it jumped up 10 fps hop off. Which is a good example of either how cold it is at the workshop and how we need some decent heating for a nimble little gun tech fingers or how much temperatures effect the o rings and rubber in general on airsoft guns.

There will always be FPS variation due to the hop unit, players talk about consistancy being important but thats pretty much impossible with a bit of flexible rubber dangling in the path of the bb. Youll want to see a plus of minus 1% variation hop off, youll never get it bang on. All your looking for with consistancy is ruleing out large deviations.

Comment

I've also had excellent results with the Falcon Two-Point hop rubbers, but I'm not sure how well they'd fare in a DMR at high(ish) FPS. I've only used them in AEGs running at 330 at most. That said, they do come in different hardnesses, and they are really cheap, so might be worth getting one just to try.

Comment

Anyone know where one can purchase one of the falcon rubbers in the UK? If so PM me. At the moment i can only find them on foreign sights. However, i do like the design and prefer it to Firefly's design as it just seems more rigid and less chance of inconsistencies. If anyone wants to recommend any more rubbers, similar to the Firefly/Falcon ones as im not a fan or conventional rubbers as there is too much room for inconsistency.
                              cheers

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

laurence Find out more about laurence
                              Working...
                              X