Cleaning a tightbore barrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a tightbore barrel.

What are the best methods to clean a tight-bore barrel for a sniper?

I myself have a brass tight-bore bull barrel, and have been cleaning it using Bisley Silicone Gun Oil. I have been using the standard cleaning rod that comes with most of the china guns and have been using various types of wadding (i think wadding is the correct term:p).

However i have been having some serious inconsistency with the flight of my rounds (Digicon 0.30g's), and this is the case with both the stock spring for a bar-10 and an extremely powerful spring. Now i feel i am probably leaving fibers behind in the barrel (and in fact i can see some in the first cm of the inside of the barrel after cleaning).

So anyway i know of cleaning the barrel this way and of another method which involves some alcohol (i believe it's called rubbing alcohol). However it would be really helpful for some people to list their "tried and trusted" methods. Please be specific about the materials and instruments you are using, especially the wadding (as this is where i think i am going wrong).

P.S
    I'm using a bar-10 and all the main internals have been upgraded i think the problem is with the barrel, but wondered whether the problem may be with the cylinder head not releasing the compressed air smoothly/properly.

So anyway thanks in advance for any help.
    cheers, taylor.
    Old Feedback: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9500-TaylorB

Re: Cleaning a tightbore barrel.

I wrap tissue on the cleaning rod and spray abit of silicone oil on it and proceed to clean the barrel. And all i have ever used is tissue. But a guy on here was saying that he uses ciggarette filters and they are meant to help. I personally have never tried this method but he says it works great.

Hope that helps

Comment

Don't use a cloth that will disintegrate at all. So no tissues, no kitchen roll, nothing like that. I've used an old torn cotton bed sheet.

Its likely your problem is the ammunition and the hop up though. I assume you are using the teflon coated ammunition. This is known for leaving residue on the hop up with each consecutive shot.

To regain consistency you need to thoroughly clean the hop rubber and switch to a non coated type of ammunition. That should sort it all.
      /9 out.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help, ill change my ammo and give it a good clean and see how it performs.
        cheers taylor

Comment

Also, don't use too much silicone when cleaning the barrel, enough to dampen your piece of cloth is all you need. Silicone residue left in the barrel will effect the consistency of your shots...

Comment

Silicon in the barrel? Little difference really. Silicon in the hop up. Big problem.

Always put a bunch of rounds (preferably cheap, white .2s or something - nothing rubbish quality though) through the hop afterwards.
            /9 out.

Comment

I've been cleaning my hop-up by washing it in some fairyliquid-water mixture to get the muck off and then rinsing with water and drying. Maybe this might be causing the problem?
              cheers, taylor.

Comment

try not to do that too often as detergant makes rubber perish...but then again probabaly no faster than the wear from use.
                back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

Yes... Just be careful that its not too greasy... cleaning the barrel you can accidentally push the oiled wadding onto the hop...

And kitchen roll is fine... doesnt disintegrade the same as tissue... but id use the fibre washing up clothes you can get... can make tiny strips and very absorbant and tough yet soft...

Comment

I had this same problem, (vsr 10) I bought all my upgrades with some Digi 0.30 teflon's. Upon firing the rounds would go all over the show, thinking this was just me being stupid when assembling my gun I stripped it down again and again checking everything.

Finding nothing wrong and was at my wits end with the thing; until I thought to try some different ammo, had some 0.25 laying around, popped 'em in, instant improvement.

The teflon digi's also left some nasty silver deposits in the hop up bucking and barrel, which cant have been good for accuracy.

Now I foolishly thought that the teflon deposits were the primary cause for the inacuracy so I picked up some Digi 0.30 straights these proved to be EVEN WORSE!

I now use bioval bbbmax 0.27 the things are awesome, upon testing these for the first time I was astounded with the difference in accuracy.

All I can say is that for the bb's are probably having the biggest effect on your accuracy Digi's are quite simply the worst bb's I have ever used (short of those 0.12 you get with cheap springers).

Ye I gotta agree with Nine, clean the hop up bucking in warm soapy water, rinse, leave to dry and reinstall.
                    For the barrel normally find WD 40 on a cloth does a superb job, with the added bonus of evaporating afterwards.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by Wargasm; 28 February, 2009, 13:40. Reason: Spelling etc.
                    "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't stop it from putting lego up its bum."

Comment

I use W5 silicone spray from Lidl. It's cheap (£1.29 from memory) and as long as you dont get it on the hop (there's a 6" tube included with the can), it clears out most of the crap. Quick squirt, then run a cotton patch through.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all that guys. Definitely now think it was the hop-up, have been using digicon 0.30's straights and can see the silvery deposits on the hop bucking. So exactly how explained cheers, Wargasm. I'll be giving it a good strip down and be testing it with some SGM's just to make sure :p
                        cheers, taylor

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Taylorb Find out more about Taylorb
                        Working...
                        X