Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Gas Gun!

Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new to this forum but not to airsoft, and thought it was time I said hello and share this story with you all.

I went into my local airgun shop earlier today to buy a new barrel cleaning rod as my old one got misterously bent.

Anyway as I walked in along with all the usual AirArms and Logun rifles was what looked like a AGM GBB M4.
    I asked the guy behind the counter and he said "Oh thats not an Airsoft gun, it fires rubber or metal BB's". It turns out that it's powered by Co2 in the stock and is the same power as a normal air rifle, and semi auto only.

The main point that made laugh though, was the fact that even though it worked the same as a Gas Blow Back, and was full metal, you dont need to be registered to buy it, just over 18!!

It's still a RIF!! and this one could really hurt you!
    No point to this, I just wondered if anybody else had seen these things? either way the law is a strange thing.

Re: Strange Gas Gun!!

A similar argument to this was raised when someone saw RIF paintball guns being sold without registration checks. You're right the law is a strange thing, inconsistent and poorly managed!
    Old Feedback: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9500-TaylorB

Comment

Ive got MP5 and MP7 paintball guns no problems to buy just ring and order also pulled over by the police , they looked and went ok no worries

Comment

Just wondering what sized bb's and if the ROF and fps were within limits could it fire airsoft bb's and therefore be used in our sport with Ukara. I wouldn't do it I hate M4s anyway but surely this means theres a loophole in the law.
        Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

You can also get a really good Beretta Storm that fires .177's.

Firearms law works in a series of levels of importance.

RIF and IF rules are at the bottom. If a weapon is powerful enough to be classed as an airgun, then airgun rules apply and VCRA no longer applies. If an airgun goes into firearms power, then firearms rules apply.

These CO2 guns are airguns because of their power, so the firearms act rules regarding airguns trump the regulations in VCRA and they are no longer seen legally as a RIF. That's also why paintball firing RIF's are not covered by VCRA.

The flip side of this is that if you get caught messing around with the power of them, illegally modifying them or are caught in public with one displyed, the offence is a firearms one and carries a much greater penalty than a VCRA offence.
          sigpic

Comment

so for example: say you had an aics, that you could bump the pressure up to airrifle power, then drop for airsoft power....

COULD you bump it up to air rifle power, sell with no restrictions then the other guy turn it down?

this is me wondering, not saying im gunna do it

Comment

A very good question!

I bought an MP001 from a registered firearms dealer, before I could rely on the defence. He was aware that I couldn't, but he said it was perfectly legal for him to do it as a) I'm over 18 and b) it's legally an airgun and not a RIF as defined by VCRA.

I guess (and it's only a guess), that if the police could prove you did it to get round the law, then they may try to prosecute, but whether they'd have any luck or not I don't know. I, for one, don't want to be the guinea pig when that one goes to court though!
              sigpic

Comment

jFOX61 The gun uses 6mm BB's. The guy in the shop said he put some airsoft bb's through it, but because of the higher power they went all over the place. There's no site that would let you use one anyway! I'd rather just get a good ggb with full auto!

Comment

Re: Strange Gas Gun!

The particular gun your talking about is made by RAM and is an Air rifle, you can use heavy wait BB's in it but the power is so high that when they hit anythind hard they just shatter. The FPS is well of 500, these things can dent/puncture car doors. So not really what we wonna see at a airsoft game. But yes stupid that you can buy these without UKARA.

Comment

is this it?
                    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

looks like it but the one i saw didn't have trades on it.

Comment

he used a transfer/sticker from somewhere
                        VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                        trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
                          You can also get a really good Beretta Storm that fires .177's.

Firearms law works in a series of levels of importance.

RIF and IF rules are at the bottom. If a weapon is powerful enough to be classed as an airgun, then airgun rules apply and VCRA no longer applies. If an airgun goes into firearms power, then firearms rules apply.

These CO2 guns are airguns because of their power, so the firearms act rules regarding airguns trump the regulations in VCRA and they are no longer seen legally as a RIF. That's also why paintball firing RIF's are not covered by VCRA.

The flip side of this is that if you get caught messing around with the power of them, illegally modifying them or are caught in public with one displyed, the offence is a firearms one and carries a much greater penalty than a VCRA offence.
                          Best explanation I have read for the whole issue on here.

Real Action Markers (or something similar as they said rubber rounds)where used in an episode of the UNIT as training weapons if that is there intended use I don't know.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bigbird 104 Find out more about Bigbird 104
                          Working...
                          X