Collapse

Snipers are useful ....no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so after reading an article in the latest "the airsoft magazine - airsoft action" I have come to believe that a sdm (squad designated marksman) combines the best of a sniper and an ordinary personal. There my current question is "Would a DMR be more practical than a bolt action sniper rifle?" and if so then "what kind of rifles would I be looking at, and upgrades?". One last comment in the magazine the author of this article mentioned that he kept his fps just under 400 but surely that would mean that it would have to be set to semi auto and would have to stay 30m from his target?

Thanks for all your help so far!
    CURRENTLY SELLING ALL AIRSOFT GEAR IN THE NEXT MONTH

Comment

Re: Snipers are useful ....no?

Originally posted by sir killaIot View Post
      One last comment in the magazine the author of this article mentioned that he kept his fps just under 400 but surely that would mean that it would have to be set to semi auto and would have to stay 30m from his target?
      If you cant hit your target on semi auto from 30 meters, you shouldnt even be thinking about taking up sniping.

Sniping is a slow, possibly boring and possibly frustrating way of playing. You will spend lots of time digging in somewhere, getting cold, wet and muddy, take 1 shot, miss, then the entire enemy team hoses the bush youre hiding in and off to the respawn point you go.

Your best bet would be to borrow someones "highly upgraded sniper rifle" and give it a go. Or buy a cheapo £100 Warrior L96, they perform acceptably well right out of the box. Or as above, slap a scope on your AEG and limit it to SLOW semi auto all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiercel View Post
        If you cant hit your target on semi auto from 30 meters, you shouldnt even be thinking about taking up sniping.

Sniping is a slow, possibly boring and possibly frustrating way of playing. You will spend lots of time digging in somewhere, getting cold, wet and muddy, take 1 shot, miss, then the entire enemy team hoses the bush youre hiding in and off to the respawn point you go.

Your best bet would be to borrow someones "highly upgraded sniper rifle" and give it a go. Or buy a cheapo £100 Warrior L96, they perform acceptably well right out of the box. Or as above, slap a scope on your AEG and limit it to SLOW semi auto all day.
        Done the last option already-today. It actually seems to be reasonably fun, taking my time, watching everyone fall over in the snow, I sat and waited for my my plan to hatch and as predicted all my spots worked a treat. Within the first one or two games I predict the opposing teams pattern recognise it and then select suitable spots within overgrown areas. Although I did this all with a 363mm barrel G&G gr16 light carbine and a red dot aim point 30mm g&p sight

Comment

I don't put auto on my AEG to conserve rounds. I believe in the one shot, one kill, or double tap method.

None of this 360 no scope balls that a kid asked me if I could do last time out.

Felt like hittin him with the gun :/
          If you ain't first, your last!

Comment

360 and hit him with the gun - more impact (assuming "360" means spin 360 degrees).

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
              360 and hit him with the gun - more impact (assuming "360" means spin 360 degrees).
              yea lol.. the kid just plays to much call of duty lol
              If you ain't first, your last!

Comment

Why is airsoft king disliking helpful posts? What a bawbag.
                Get it right roon ye!

Comment

Originally posted by Barlow View Post
                  Why is airsoft king disliking helpful posts? What a bawbag.
                  http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...249#post944249 should answer to why...

Comment

Ok so after reading an article in the latest "the airsoft magazine - airsoft action" I have come to believe that a sdm (squad designated marksman) combines the best of a sniper and an ordinary personal. There my current question is "Would a DMR be more practical than a bolt action sniper rifle?" and if so then "what kind of rifles would I be looking at, and upgrades?". One last comment in the magazine the author of this article mentioned that he kept his fps just under 400 but surely that would mean that it would have to be set to semi auto and would have to stay 30m from his target?

Thanks for all your help so far!
                    Would a DMR be more practical than a bolt action rifle?
                    Insofar as it's obviously a whole lot quicker to take that second shot if you need to. DMRs are usually shorter and lighter than bolt action rifles, and you can still use hi-cap mags.

What kind of rifles would I be looking at, and upgrades?
                    The most common DMRs that spring to my mind are M14s and SR25. There, obviously, more than those, but time and again they seem to be the most common choices for DMR platforms.
                    I'm not big on the whole internal upgrade scene, but at the very minimum you'd need to lock the rifle to semi-auto and install a stronger spring. Then you could think about tightbore or twist barrels, modified hop-up units, upgraded pistons, gears, and so on. I'll step aside at this point, and let those far more qualified than I, advise you.

Semi-automatic DMRs typically fire in the region of 350-420fps. For this reason, they may be subject to a minimum engagement distance. That's up to the site manager's discretion.
                    Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

Try it out with a stock version first. If you enjoy it and want to do it on a more serious level then you wont need to spend hundreds on upgrades. You can make vast improvements with just a budget of around £100. I purchased my TM VSR from a friend for £50 in very good condition. Bought a few parts and to be honest I've seen minimal difference to someone running a £500 set up. My overal cost inc rifle and parts.. £110 ish

Comment

Not attempting to be pedantic. Just simply that the thread title seems to imply a discussion about the usefulness of a sniper in an airsoft scenario. Not how good the rifles themselves are.
                        Upcoming Games:
                        None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
                        Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

Machaon, thanks for that wad of useful info, just one further question. If your going to class the DMR as a sniper rifle (over 350 fps) then surely you might as well upgrade it to circa 500fps, no?

Vulcan raven, you got yourself quite a bargain there, tm vsr for £50! Nice. However I would rather like to borrow an upgraded sniper rifle than buy one, then I don't have the pressure of selling it. Thanks for you input though

Comment

Machaon, thanks for that wad of useful info, just one further question. If your going to class the DMR as a sniper rifle (over 350 fps) then surely you might as well upgrade it to circa 500fps, no?
                            Hmm, I guess it's all semantics. I think I'd make the distinction that (at least in airsoft) if it's able to shoot semi-automatic it was a DMR, but if it was a bolt action rifle, and shot up to 500fps, it was a sniper rifle. But I can't see many sites allowing a semi-automatic rifle which shot at 500fps.

Just always remember that with great power comes great responsibility.
                            Steyr AUG A1 & 6 mags and TBB for sale

Comment

Ahh ok cheers matey

Comment

In my experience if you are low budget then stay away from electric dmrs they have a nasty habit of breaking every three seconds. I'm talking psg 1 etc. they are very good but they are a lot of hassle. Just my experience.

Bolties are cool! I would say buy a warrior they are reasonable out if the box or look for a second hand one on here. There are some two tones going cheap which you can spray ( providing you have the correct defence ). I have had all the major bolt actions and found the best to be a Maruzen APS 2 with fixed hop. Lighter than others and more accurate using .4 devil blasters and an sp150 for 500fps.

You sound like you have considered all the options and would get a lot out of sniping so I would say... Take the plunge. If I was you look for a second hand one on here. There are some good guns on here. When you decide which rifle you are looking for hit back and I'll tell you how to tell if the upgrades have been fitted. It's pretty easy. Again look for traders with decent feedback

Have fun out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because I'm a bad mother...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sir killaIot Find out more about sir killaIot
                                Working...
                                X