Paypal scamming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal scamming

(reworded with guidance from SciFi Steve)

It appears that there's a way of scamming paypal so that you can't get your money back in the event of a dispute. I know this because I've just been stung.

Paypal have just sent me a lovely email telling me nicely how they've found in my favour but they won't refund any money to me in accordance with their T&Cs etc. Sorry about that.

I, personally, hereby decide that I shall not use Paypal any more. If there's no benefit in them charging me 5% for every single transaction without offering me any kind of buyer protection then there's no point me using them.

I do strongly encourage people to read and digest the above information. The Paypal refund-guarantee thing is fallible and worthless. A conscious scammer can keep your money and you don't get a single penny. I'm genuinely stunned that this hasn't come up before.
    Paypal does not protect you as a seller or buyer. Don't believe the hype.

UK Virtual Assistant services: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/

Re: Paypal scamming

This happened to me last year with a guy from America, I bought some kids stuff off ebay & the little TW*T didnt bother to send anything out. I spoke to Paypal & opened a dispute, they said that i have been done buy this guy but wont offer a refund. They even told me he had closed his account down & opened another but i still could not get anything back off them.

Comment

yep, loads of ways to scam via paypal!

I also got done by a yank kid on arnies, the little sod sold me an xm203 and neer posted it, by the time I gave up waiting, pp cover had expired, and I was left high and dry, 5 minutes online and i'd found his address, his dads address (from which he'd based his luxury car sales business) and a call to a friend in SoCal resulted in him paying the father a quick visit, a week later, a full refund and an appology!

Be careful of the new ability to send money as a "gift" or personal payment owed, I do it, when someone has been kind and sorted me out a cracking deal, as this avoids the sellers fee's. but you can not claim the money back at all, so its a gamble you take, pp dont care, they may loose a couple of quid on a few transactions, but dont have to employ as many staff to deal (or not!) with disputes, and pp make more than enough by investing the money you hold in your pp account on the markets for short term investments!

Wouldnt turn your back on pp, just be aware of how it works, and play it to your advantage, I now initiate a dispute 2 days before the cut off time, regardless of how much I trust the seller, i'll tell them that too, just to keep them in the loop, I then reverse it if the item arrives.

Comment

Well one thing you can do which ME and my mates now do as we have both been stung before now. Get yourself a credit card and set it up with paypal. Then put the amount you intend to spend in the credit card account. Pay for goods via paypal. If anyone stings you, you can just use the chargeback feature, as the money is technically the banks. And as you know banks care about their money.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

StuartL Find out more about StuartL
        Working...
        X