Collapse

Royal Mail Propose New Gun Restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Mail want to stop shipping firearms/ariguns/airsoft weapons including parts1

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...l_services.pdf

page 15 is relevant as it now classifies what they class as a weapon and have removed the clause to ship airguns. Looks like they are trying to stop the shipping of section 1, 2 and 5 firearms, but have also included the "low powered air guns and pistols" to the clause, which would include airsoft guns and parts.

Anyone else in the know or loop care to comment, as at present RM is the only way to ship airsoft guns with insurance in the UK as most other carriers prohibit them unless you are a dealer.
    Raven's Claw: bug*er this just charge

Comment

Re: Royal Mail want to stop shipping firearms/ariguns/airsoft weapons including parts

i always thought airsoft guns were illegal to send via Rm?? as ive heard countless horror stories of people complaining.

At the end of the day you can get a carrier to come to your house and take an item insured for as little as a fiver.. even if it cost £20, you make it clear in the advert.
      And shops will just charge the extra, whats £20 on a £400 airsoft gun?

As for parts, well whos going to know whats in the packet without opening it, and that comes in the act of interfering with the Queens mail, which is apparently treason.. so hey i wouldnt worry just yet.

Comment

Re: Royal Mail want to stop shipping firearms/ariguns/airsoft weapons including parts

If it does come in split Gun in to 2 parts then it's components and should be covered ;-)

Comment

Old news: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...n-Restrictions

EDIT Now merged.

Comment

Originally posted by badger906 View Post
            at the end of the day you can get a carrier to come to your house and take an item insured for as little as a fiver.. even if it cost £20, you make it clear in the advert.
            And shops will just charge the extra, whats £20 on a £400 airsoft gun?
            That's all well and good until your "insured" GUN goes missing, and while trying to claim you tell the carrier it's an airsoft weapon, and that nice lady handling your enquiry pisses herself down the phone as she reads out the prohibited items list and shouldn't have been sent with them in the first place, so you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting either your RIF or your money back

Comment

Re: Royal Mail Propose New Gun Restrictions

The only way to legally send an airsoft gun as a PRIVATE seller is by RM special delivery, at a cost of around £20. This is the only way to make sure you should get paid out via insurance if the buyer has a problem or it gets lost/damaged in the post. Airsoft guns came under the airgun section which is now on the prohibited list. This is going to cripple the second hand market as soon as some buyers realise that the "I did not receive that I want a full refund" is now a good way to get a free RIF/IF, as the seller has no insurance, no come back and no way to prove the buyer received the item. Watch the seller argue that one with paypal!
              Raven's Claw: bug*er this just charge

Comment

Re: Royal Mail Propose New Gun Restrictions

RM tried this back is 2005 i think.

They were told by the courts to STFU and quit moaning. To my knowledge, nothing has actually happened to cause them to look at this again. A shipment of NERF guns wasn't stolen and used to rob the RM cafeteria. As there is no evidence to the contrary, we have to assume the current system works perfectly well.

Their argument is they cannot guarantee the safety of the weapons or components. (the flippant among us would suggest they stop carrying everything as they seem to be unable to guarantee the safety of ANYTHING)

I cannot guarantee the safety of my shot gun. If i am out and somebody breaks into my home, finds the gun safe and blows the locks or finds the keys and cracks the safe style lock it will be gone. This is unlikely to happen as i take every REASONABLE PRECAUTION to prevent that.

Certified gun safe
                Police inspection
                Bolted to two walls and the floor
                2 x different key locks (keys hidden in two different rooms)
                Safe style combination lock
                Hidden amongst other shite in the house

The RM only need to take REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS. Lock doors, no un-authorised access, only vetted staff in the sorting rooms etc.... you know EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING NOW!

Since the VCRA, airsoft has pretty much got it's act together and got organised. What we need is to find out if airsoft will have an exemption, and if not, get lobbying parliment, RM and the courts with the help of UKARA and ASIA

I know UKARA was set up for the VCRA, but i would assume not being able to post guns or spares will kill their business' so i am sure they will be interested.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Jon Bon Find out more about Jon Bon
                Working...
                X