SOPMOD PMAGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SOPMOD PMAGs

Filing down eh? That's surprising, I was thinking you'd say to heat the levers up and bend them slightly to stick up further and hit the catch inside the mag well. Looking forward to those pictures.
    REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Nope! Literally just taking a few mm of the edge of a lever!

Below is a before pic, showing the mag in half with the spring removed. Once you sit and look at the design you realise just how simple it is. The lever we want to be modding is the larger of the two, ie the one in the top of the pic.

Next, see an after shot. You will notice that it is just a tiny bit filed from the edge closest to the back of the mag, at 45°. This causes the plastic to catch on that corner of the mag, and in turn stop it working!

Pear feel free to ask any questions, although I can't see there being many!

Comment

I have these mags too and the same issue funnily enough!

How did it get to this? Dear oh dear.

Anyway I commend you on resolving the issue, any more detail on how it's done? Maybe a wee video doing the disassembly and fix?

Still not 100% sure from the images what to do.

Thanks

Comment

Right, now I see it forget me!

Haha

Comment

Very interesting, I can see the part you've filed and clearly you've done the testing and found this sorts it out, but I'm surprised I have to admit. I'd always thought the problem the the smaller lever (bottom of the picture) not being pushed far enough up, when you say that point you filed down was 'catching on the corner' do you mean when there are still BBs in the mag? Apologies if I'm seeming obtuse, clearly the little hamster in his wheel is having a lazy day.

Comment

Fine job Hopewell. Fine job!

Right,

1. With a 2 Allen key, remove the base bolt, push the inner away and out from the mag cover. You'll notice the false rounds on the inner mag, I designated this the top, on the reverse you'll see the selector for 30 / 120. When it's towards the closest edge it's 120.

2. Like the TM there is a 5cm x 0.5cm long access panel, the spring is seated on this. Using a small flat head driver gently release the bottom catch as in press in.. You can now remove the spring.

3. Remove the 8 cross head screws, I did this flat with the top uppermost.

4. Having done this, split the halves.. If its been done flat all should stay as it was inside...

5. As Hopewell has correctly shown us, file the edge he shows until it moves freely and no longer catches on the edge of the mag. As it is, when the mag is empty it is catching on the corner and not fully releasing the catch.

6. Bottom right corner, be mindful of the metal square nut.. It can move slightly. It needs to be seated for the outer shell base bolt.
              Insert the spring into the top, seating / placing the two parts at the hinged top of the spring into the bottom channel so it's placed correctly.

7. As Thera is nothing in the top section place it over the lower so it meets up. Check the square nut is seated correctly and the spring is in the channel. Once all good, I then put in 4 of the screws, top middle bottom areas. Then slide the spring back in all the way. If its good it should all slide in with no drama. Then re fit the access panel, then the last screws.

8. As all the screws go in it will rattle less, after that refit the outer cover and base bolt.

You should notice the catch is a bit more under tension now.

Should take about 5 - 10 mins per mag and so far so good, works every time instead of some of the time.

Good job Hopewell.
              Problems? Problems? There is no problem I cannot solve with this...

++ Attributed to Mad Chainsword Johnson, Commander of the White Scars ++

"Systema owners are easily startled, but they'll soon be back and in larger numbers"
              Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Well, comprehensive or what! Please feel free to edit your post with my pics Black Templar.. Save endless questions for eons to come!

@CK.. The mags would always expend their contents, but the AEG's bolt stop function is separate to the hop unit. This lever pushes up a tiny mechanism at the front of the gearbox which locks it up.

At first I looked at the lower lever for the problem, assuming that it was too tight a fit. As not shown in the pics, when at rest the larger of the levers sits above the 'corner' (as it has affectionately been named), which is where the resistance lies.

This mod has been performed on 5 mags, and has worked flawlessly on them all!

Comment

Excellent, all clear now. I actually e-mailed PTS about the problem to which they replied "yes we're aware, it has been fixed for future batches" to which I replied "What was the fix you instigated?" and never heard anything back. I'm very glad for the existence of forums right now.

I've got 3 of the PMAGs and I'd already taken them all apart 3 times (x 8 screws per mag... sheesh) and stretched the springs, lubed the BB runners, checked the levers etc etc to no avail. I'd been running my SOCOMs and SCAR-L with intermittent issues using the TM 82 rounders (turned out the 82-30 capacity switch had moved across part way in a few and was interfering with the feed spring) so when these turned out to have problems actuating the bolt lock mechanism I was about ready to just say **** it and sell the whole lot. Luckily I ignored that particular impulse.

Comment

Did it all make sense once you have the things open then?

I am shocked that nobody else has come up with a solution to be honest, as I would have thought that these would be MASSIVELY popular being a magpul product AND a 120 round midcap solution for the recoil series!

As for PTS giving that wooly reply, personally I would be rather disappointed at that!

Comment

Ok opened up and filed down said corner of lever. Unfortunately put it back together and it still doesn't lock back on empty.

Any thoughts? There appears to be reduced tension in the lever at the back of the mag now that it's been altered.

Any advice is welcome.

Comment

That's odd? It's worked well on each one I've done. I don't suppose the two part hinge thingy on the end of the spring has separated as it easily comes off when it's put back together?

"Systema owners are easily startled, but they'll soon be back and in larger numbers"
                        Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Not sure.

When I took it apart it came off really easily. It just fits back into the piece attached to the spring with no click or tension correct?

Comment

Yes correct. Damned thing falls out easily also. Only thing I can think of at the moment.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Ok is it bad that I stuck it together with a tiny bit of blue tack to get it back in?

Lol

Comment

Oddly enough I almost tried that. Is it working?

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fil Find out more about Fil
                                Working...
                                X