Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Vietnam Themed DMR - Rebuild & Restoration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam Themed DMR - Rebuild & Restoration!

This is a re-write and update on the Previous Thread I had started (Vietnam Oxidation Project) that I had removed by a moderator.

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Classic Army XM177e2 that unknown at time of purchase had been run down to the ground by its previous owner despite being told it had been rebuilt before the sale.

So, with it sitting there looking sorry for its self, I’d decided to take it on as a Vietnam themed Assassination Rifle project and completely rebuild it which would be completed over the next couple of months!

This is how it looked when I first received it:

Upon inspection, this was a list I made of things that required attention or replacing:

External Issues:

- Charging Handle didn’t function as spring was missing
    - Imitation Bolt Plate was from another model and was much smaller than the original
    - Bolt Release Catch was missing
    - Chamber Door had been taken from another model and had the clip snapped off meaning it had to stay permanently open
    - Mag Release was put together wrong
    - Front Sight was super glued as the 'O' rings to hold it to the barrel were broken
    - Sling point had broken away from the Front Sight
    - Paint was artificially worn away by previous owner
    - Screws for the motor plate had been stripped from over tightening
    - Same problem for the grip screws to hold it to the Gearbox
    - Sling was frayed and had its metal clamps bent out of shape

Internal Issues:

- Hop up 'C' clip had snapped
    - Sector Gear was missing a majority of its teeth
    - Piston was missing a majority of its teeth
    - Cylinder head had perished
    - Wiring had been snipped and re-soldered back together every 1cm and held together by electrical tape
    - Gears hadn't been greased enough or shimmed effectively to provide them with any protection (could be seen on the Sector Gear surfaces)

Now, feeling a bit like a mug and assessing my options over a cup of tea, I decided to crack on and strip it down! Afterall, this was on of those rifles that i've always wanted.

For the body I tried Fairy Power Spray, which for this particular type of paint which CA uses didn’t work out too well for me! So, I turned to the Nitromors and Dremel and went to town:

Once all the parts had been stripped, I was starting to come up with ideas on how I’d like the gun to look…

At first, I wanted it looking Vietnam-ey with the rust and wear and tear! - After reading many a page on metal rusting, tarnishing and oxidising I came across a chemical from Birchwood Casey which is Aluminium Black. - I’d read that it works wonders with certain grades of aluminium alloy but left the metal looking rough and powdery with Airsoft alloy...

This is the look I wanted (Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Vietnam Expansion Pack):

This is the look I ended up with:

Alongside the body work, I thought that it would be best to give the magazines the same aged treatment!

- For this thought I used Abbey Blu Gel Blueing compound that can be found on Zero Ones website.

After 24 hours of allowing it to cure, I started to piece the parts back together but, unfortunately, the surface started to rub off and left the shiny underside that I was trying to cover in the first place. As a result, I ended up rubbing it back down and thought about a new method of oxidisation.

I was looking online at how Classic Army had finished their XM177e2 in a dull grey alongside how the real steel version had been finished. It would seem that the real steel version were found to be finished in black and grey. I prefer the grey finish and after further research I came across some close up shots of a real steel replicated M16 using an XM177e2 receiver on a firing range and it gave me inspriation for mine.

Picture:

For this new method, I submerged the bare metal parts within a container wrapped in foil which held dissloved table salt in boiling water. The foil acted like a thermos-flask keeping the heat and provided a better quality reaction between the salt water and bare aluminium. The parts were submerged for 18 hours in total.

This is what I got, I was pleased that the laser engraved lettering remained too!:

It was really starting to come along now so I started to collect all the pieces that I listed previously to build it up! I bit the bullet and ended up using the credit card. The following list is what I ended up purchasing to complete the rifle:

- Suppressor
    - Front A sight
    - Bolt release catch
    - Ultimate M120 gearbox
    - Ultimate 6.03mm Tight bore Barrel
    - Ultimate Bucking
    - Krylon (Woodland Green)
    - Replacement Grip Screws
    - Replacement Motor Plate Screws
    - Replacement Hop up ‘C’ Clips
    - Replacement Hop up Circlips

After I took delivery of the new items, like any airsofter coming home to their purchase - I disregarded the invoice and got straight to work bolting everything together! Unfortunately, the gearbox had come through with trigger and shortage issues, so had to be sent back with the complete lower half in order for the seller to investigate the problem.

After a bit of frustration and putting it together anyway for an idea of how it would look finally pieced together, I proceeded to take the plastic parts down to the cellar for spraying with the Krylon. The idea was to try and age the plastics like that of the body work.

I wasn’t quite sure at first how to go about doing it but I'd previously had a thought that it might look good in green like the Commando in Black Ops hence the woodland coloured Krylon… I didn’t like it - Olive Drab would have been better of the two greens.

This just didn’t work out. I tried roughing it up hoping it would help it look aged but ended up making it look Ex Two Tone…

Mr Fairy Power Spray came out and removed the Krylon. But now I was met with new looking plastics again!!

So, I got some fine wet and dry and went to town under the tap rubbing them all down. From there I took the pliers to the plastic and dinked it and roughed it up leaving them like this:

The same applied to the suppressor (still needs some work):

In my opinion, I think they look much better and do help in making the rifle look dated and well used! Sniper tape is an idea but for the time being ill stick with the current look. Also, the sling was salvaged and has been attached to the newly fitted sling mount giving it that extra bit of effect!

So far, this has been an enjoyable project for me and it’s something I think that everyone should experience for both the entertainment and educational factors of it.
    I hope this has been a good read and I look forward to the comments and suggestions to help improve or take the project further!

I will be posting up some pictures of when the rifle is back together - but ill be taking it to my local airsoft venue to take these photos in the forest to help with the overall look of the rifle! - So watch this space!

Thanks for reading!

Re: Vietnam Themed DMR - Rebuild & Restoration!

Just when I decide not to buy anymore guns this year

Any offence taken from my posts is likely intended.

Comment

Nice job mate.

Comment

that is gorgeous
        But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
        I have spread my dreams under your feet;
        Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Comment

Beautiful!
          Originally posted by psirus101
          I once got a player 100+ metres away by just pointing my finger and shouting "PEW PEW PEW". He took his ****ing hit!

Comment

Just a little taster for you all.

Since the build, I have altered the look to some of the parts with some oxidisation such as the bolt cover, bolt release and iron sight adjustment wheel. They just stuck out being all black! - I have also attached the sling and altered the length annnnnd recently bought a new scope used on an M14 to add to the look - i think it looks much better now!

I will be taking some more detailed pictures soon but thought I would put these down for now - Hope you like!

Comment

To be honest I dont like the scope, Think it looks out of place. I have a proper m16 carry handle mounted scope spare if you want to take it off my hands. Would give you a good price!!

This is what the scope looks like mounted

Comment

Ive already had one of those buddy, was the first scope i bought for this project, unfortunately i didnt like it too much but you are right, it is the better scope for this build! - but thanks for the offer bud!

- is that the abbey blu gel method i see on that magazine?? :D

Comment

Ahh right fair enough!! I dont know what's happened to the magazine, I just lifted the image off google!! I'm yet to try the abbey blu gel on my magazines! Cant quite stump up the courage or decided if I'm 100% sure or not!!

Comment

I have to be honest, I liked it better when it was blackened and had the dirt in the recesses. It looked much more realistic. The plastic is getting there though. I would be tempted to spray them over in gloss black and wipe it over with a rag covered in white spirit before it drys...

The plastics of the ol' 'Nam era stuff seems to get shiny after a while...

Comment

Very nice! The suppressor looks great! I'd say that the scope rail could be weathered to match the rest of the gun. How about a short magazine, if it's a DMR?
                      "Unleash just one load into the enemy
                      and be ready to go again straight
                      away... and that doesn't happen very
                      often does it lads!" - ZeroOne

Comment

Hmmm, I kinda preferred it black with the dirt in the recesses too. Still, I appreciate the amount of effort you have gone to and wish you success in shooting enemies!

Comment

Need to weather up that scope and rail mate, otherwise, it looks awesome

Comment

Personally I'm not sure the scope and rail adds anything to the rifle, but if a scope was used, the carry handle style scope would (as has been stated) make it look more period.

But TBH IMO it'd look the ballz without a scope at all. Either way, cracking job dude!

: D
                            sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

Great build mate, done a fantastic job, although i agree with the scope, i think it takes away from your build :/ i really think you should go with the traditional M16 carry handle 4x scope, think it would suit far batter and would make it look so much more authentic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tomson2912882 Find out more about tomson2912882
                              Working...
                              X