KJ Works MK 1 Ruger to Hushpuppy / awc amphibian conversion guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KJ Works MK 1 Ruger to Hushpuppy / awc amphibian conversion guide

Ever since seeing a photo of someones home convertion of everyones favourite little reasonably priced NBB pistol to something even more bad-ass I decided to have a go. How hard can it be? What we're looking at here is turning this:

mk1_001.jpg

into this:

blkamd.jpg

As everyone in thier right mind knows, guns with stupidly long, impratical suppressors are at least 87% more awesome. So I had to have one. But without spending any money, as I'm poor. And with no difficult technical bits as I have no tools and even less skill.

With this in mind, I went to the internet and found an Aluminium Tube - 26mm Diam x 2mm Wall x 250mm Long on a certain famous auction site for £5.70 inculding postage. The measurements of the thicker part of the barrel is approx 26mm with the thinner part being around 25mm. Which leaves you with two options: The easy way or the hard way. The hard way involved removing the front barrel with a Hex screwdriver, and either extending the barrel and finding a suitable way to support it as its a free floating inner barrel which is drawn back on the trigger pull as well as finding a method of attaching the Aluminium Tube to the back end of the gun.

I took the easy way. This was basically removing the little metal pin holding the front sight on, taking that off and gluing the end cap in place. Followed by sanding the shit out of the front end of the barrel, like so:

DSCF2519.jpg

While checking the fit every so often

DSCF2508.jpg

Until I got it just so and it fitted

DSCF2510.jpg

It should fit snugly, going on with a minimal ammount of force but without slipping off or twisting. I had some Matt back car spray in the garage that was about right colour-wise so i took to the pipe with gay abandon, after a light sanding with fine grade sandpaper and a little wash to remove dust/grease. I gave it three coats, another light sanding to remove to streaky bits and a final coat. I then glued a washer to the front. I only had a 25 MM ish one in a box of bits, so on it went. Cheap and nasty all the way here folks.

DSCF2520.jpg

Ruger1.jpg

I've reattached the front sight using a highly technical method known as 'sick some glue on it then put it on where it looks about right'. I've cut out some old polystyrene into vague tube shapes and hollowed that out with a barrel cleaner and stuffed that down the barrel too, to absorb some sound. Really does work, though I'm sure there's many better ways of doing this.

Whole thing done for the price of the tube and some bits from the garage and now you have your Navy SEAL sneeky sneeky pistol/CIA assination tool/Vietnam era guard dog killer. Or guard goose killer, depending on what forum you read.

If anyone has comments, thought or improvment suggestions, please comment, along with your versions.

Good hunting gentlemen.

Re: KJ Works MK 1 Ruger to Hushpuppy / awc amphibian conversion guide

gemtech oasis by socom gear. although this looks very pretty.
    -'Sly villain! Thou does not acknowledge thine hits!'
    -'I doth so, yonder vagabond, but thouest has the control of a nunnery whore, and thine accuracy doth compare to thine codpiece, short of the mark!'

Comment

Thanks. Need to find a holster now that doesn't cost the earth. I know about the Gemtech ofc, but I already owned this and the Gemtech isn't quite as long and is MUCH more expensive than £5.70. Theres a rather nice Gemtech has appeard on the forums since I've posted this, if I seen this several months ago at £90 with a bunch of mags, I probably wouldn't be posting this now.

Comment

Tactical Solutions LLC make a Kydex type holster for the Ruger Mk1...

Comment

So, used this little gem tonight for a CQB game, worked wonderfully and certainly attracted a lot of attention, lots of "what the hell is that! or "what the hell just shot me" Brought new life to this pistol. What I would say is the polystyrene foam in the barrel didn't last more than a few mags before it deformed, so back to the drawing board for that one. Next step is insulation foam and lots of careful cutting out.

Comment

just to be cruel, literally 2 mins job this one, nice and quiet too.
            not quite as nice, but i had drank half a bottle of scotch by then
            http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._1721537_n.jpg
            trading WE M16A1 for CYMA or RS SVD with PSOP
            http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ting-trades%29

Comment

Nice one ste, looks good. thought about going down the screw-in type supressor route but i wanted to keep with the amphibian style

Comment

2 choices for foam,
                get a pipe insulation jacket, or get some closed cell foam, and use a apple corer
                trading WE M16A1 for CYMA or RS SVD with PSOP
                http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...ting-trades%29

Comment

I have an offcut of memory foam of you want some?
                  -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                  -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Very kind jonny, but i've solved my issues with an off cut of some packing foam I had. Cut into shape and burned the middle out using a heated metal skewer. Kids - get an adult to do that part for you and make sure its in a well ventalated area. The sound deadening is really rather good now.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Menashem Find out more about Menashem
                    Working...
                    X