Uber Bling Socom Gear 24k Gold 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uber Bling Socom Gear 24k Gold 1911

So Id damaged the gold coating on my Socom Gear 1911 through use and wear and tear. So I thought Id polish it back and remove all the gold plate so it was a bare silver finish.

Well after trying polishing a small section of it carefully using varying grades of polish, dremmel and wet/dry to my suprise the gold came off (as planned) but in the electroplating process i guess some of it got into the sub-surface of the aluminium slide and frame.. so rather than going back to bare silver aluminium it actually went to a mega bling light gold colour that highly reflective. I purpously didnt do all the hidden areas (e,g, under the grip) so i could take some pics to show the stark difference between the original finish and the polished finish. It even left the engravings in place too....See below

it took a few hours but the pistol looks pretty good for a bling item... just a few minor areas to clean up.

Re: Uber Bling Socom Gear 24k Gold 1911

That looks awesome. My girlfriend has the same gun I'll show her this one in a sec. Care to share the exact process?
    Dead or alive....your coming with me

Comment

Re: Uber Bling Socom Gear 24k Gold 1911

No probs regarding the process, the number one thing is do it carefully and gently. took me probs about 3hours total to take the majority off and then maybe an extra hour tidying up any bits that weren't quite spot on.

0) Check with the girlfriend before you start!! (unless its a suprise and you a prepared to buy another if she hates it :-D )

1) Using 1000 grit black emery paper sand the large areas so that it just starts to make obvious scufing in the gold plate - so im talking about 10-20 light pressure rubs per major area maximum - DO NOT GO OVERBOARD WITH THIS - IF YOU GO TOO FAR YOU WILL SPEND AGES POLISHING OUT THE MARKS IN THE SHINY SLIDE FROM THE EMERY PAPER . You can use a circular motion or different directions. The aim is just to remove some of the gold plate without taking it back to the metal as it speeds up step 2 and 3 below

2) Use a Dremmel (or similar) with the white fiber polishing wheels (13mm diammeter works well) set at around 18000rpm. Apply Meguires NXT Generation All Metal polish (£9.99 from Halfrauds) onto a single area of the slide / frame etc with your finger and them dremmel it for a good few minutes and you should notice that the the polish goes black and eventually in some areas the gold coating has completley gone and its a very shiny reflective gold.

3) Repeat 2 until everywhere is shiny. I found that once the coating is removed it doesnt matter too much if you go over the shiny areas as they basically get shiny gold and stay that way - as opposed to the gold coating which once its gone its gone!

4) Enjoy blingyness

- - - Updated - - -

Alternatively - if you want to post it to me I can do it for you for a small fee and will basically buy you a new one / give you mine if anything goes drastically wrong.. perhpas PM me to discuss

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

chaz_r33_gtr Find out more about chaz_r33_gtr
      Working...
      X