The great Ruger project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great Ruger project

Hi all, started working on this just before xmas but thought i'd backtrack a little and post my progress on here, so...

I bought a KJW Ruger of a member here and fell in love with the gun, fast forward a year and i now own 3 Rugers and one Carbine, odd i know but i've never been "normal".

so with more guns than i hold i decided to make a pair of unique Rugers, which you will see soon, then i decided that with the left over parts i'd make a suppressed Ruger, then with the parts left over i'd customise my Carbine....and i will still have enough parts left over to make another gun

BUT enough talk, time for some pictures,

first of all, a bog standard KJW MK1 Pistol (Ruger)
    kjw-ruger-mk1.jpg

then i bought some wood grips to try (this is what got me into doing this project)
    10898125_10203517360962081_1119131872160862258_n.jpg

they had to be machined quite a bit to actualy fit as they are designed for the MK3 Ruger RS
    since then i have painted the ejection port
    BILD0034.jpg
    BILD0029.jpg

and one of the triggers (i'll be fitting it tomorrow and painting another one)
    BILD0033.jpg

i'm now waiting for more parts to arrive (and payday) to finish these off, so i moved on to the next part of the project...
    this is the CAD rendering of the custom barrel that i drew up, it should just replace the old barrel with no mods.
    amphibianass.jpg
    just need to sort out someone to 3D print it

next i got a bloke from work who's very handy with paracord to do this to my Carbine stock for me.
    BILD0036.jpg

and to round this post off here's the nice-ish bow that i'm storing partsin atm and will house my custom rugers when they are done
    BILD0030.jpg
    BILD0031.jpg
    BILD0032.jpg

L.

Re: The great Ruger project

As a tactical-plastic man, its not the sort of thing I'm into, but I can appreciate a projects based on love. A mate has just picked up a carbine. I'll point him this way so he can follow your progress.

Comment

Look up The Skunkworks on Facebook, the guy there has built a number of custom 'supressed' Rugers
      'Old school wood and steel, thats the way they were built in the good times!'

Comment

not sure what i'm looking for minotaur, can you post a link please.

Comment

Nice work. Just though i'd point out that it's impossible to paint an ejection port though, you mean breach end of the barrel. Sometimes known as Chamber Hood. Hmm actually in most pistols that would be right in this instance you mean the bolt.
          The laptop is mightier than the pistol.

Comment

Why did I make a Ruger thread!

Comment

okay before the day is over...

yes i mean i am painting the bolt, thats what i've been saying but for some reason didn't type. Boo, as and when i finish these guns i will post them on your ruger thread, and have done with a wooden griped ruger, but apart from that i have nothing to share.

NOW for an update...

i had drew up a barrel on CAD at work using measurements taken at home and my imagination and come up with this...
              amphibianass.jpg
              and i sent the file off to be 3D printed....don't ask how much it cost, it's painful just thinking about it but it arrived today....and it dosen't fit....so now i have to bore out the inside diameter because the inner barrel doesn't fit in and i realised that there is a 20mm difference in the lengths of the receivers on a pistol and a carbine...so i also have to machine a step into one end..... needless to say i will also be altering the drawing.

apart from that all i have to show this morning (clock ticked over past midnight 3 minutes ago at this point) is a box of bits.....so here is a box of bits
              BILD0038.jpgBILD0039.jpg

L

Comment

Okay so the 3D printed barrel now fits and locks into place and the barrel moves freely inside, the next step in that is to paint the two parts and then fill it with foam to suppress it.

If anyone reading this decides to get themselves a barrel printed my advice would be to get it printed oversize then turn it down as my barrel is neither cylindrical or concentric, so up close it looks a bit odd.

I have also broke one of the pistol lowers after taking it apart and now it falls apart when firing....owell good job i have another pistol en route .

I'm also in contact with a bloke about getting a pair of MK2 pistols in from oversea's which if i get them will mean half of this project will be finished.

Thats it for now, unfortuantly theres no picture atm but when i get home i will post a picture of the printed barrel.

L.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

okay so not much going on atm, got one pistol sort finished but it stoped firing after 3 shots....its a mechanical issue so i will strip it down and have a look when i get a chance as i'm also fixing my tm870 and thats taking up my free time atm.

BUT i have got pictures of the finished upper for my Amphibian ruger
                  BILD0044.jpgBILD0045.jpg

basically i can't do much more until i get hold of a couple of Mk2 Rugers, so its back to the shotgun for now.

L.

Comment

My custom built Ruger Hush Puppy, thanks Matt @ The Skunkworks UK

image.jpgimage.jpg
                    'Old school wood and steel, thats the way they were built in the good times!'

Comment

Got one gun almost finished :D
                      uploadfromtaptalk1428052001679.jpg
                      uploadfromtaptalk1428052021771.jpg
                      uploadfromtaptalk1428052043096.jpg

Only thing left to do know is to fill the suppresor with foam to make it quiet as it is rather loud atm.

L.

Comment

I'm liking this a lot thinking about doing a similar project, how have you attached the extended barrel?

Comment

Its a brand new barrel i had 3D printed then turned to fit, i put the file up on thingiverse and it should fit the MK 1 pistol straight away.

L.

Comment

okay, i cut up some foam rings and fit them in the barrel, but it's still quiet loud, so i'm going to re-cut some rings with a smaller inner diameter, and look into putting a longer barrel in.

i've also been looking into J-hoping it as it seems to be an easy replacement for the original hop.

L.

Comment

Good work, Luke. What a coincidence! I've been fiddling with my Gemtech Oasis this afternoon!

The hops on these things are not perfect so I've cut a nineball purple hop rubber, that I accidently tore, to fit. Bit of an experiment but hey presto! She shoots far and straight at a steady 370FPS on Abbey Ultra, 330fps on Abbey 144 weak ass gas. There's still the occasional flyer but so much better than the original hop rubber.

J-hop would probably be ideal!
                              “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

LukeCDC Long days and pleasant nights Find out more about LukeCDC
                              Working...
                              X