• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kalashnikovs

Polar Star SVD anyone?

One of only 3 that exist in the world

Comment

Nearly 4. I'm doing mine also! Any tips for a RS conversion?

Comment

Are you doing the P* conversion yourself or getting bingo to do it?

Comment

Very nice red hawk. How do you know there's only 3(soon 4) in the world though?

Comment

I hate you so much Redhawk. So much.

Also, Does anyone know if the Tantal Pallad handguard fits on normal 74 style variants? Looking at getting one but theyre a bit pricey...

Comment

Originally posted by Coski View Post
              Very nice red hawk. How do you know there's only 3(soon 4) in the world though?
              The only person capable of doing this work is Bingo. Here's the gearbox comparison:

Bingo has created 3 so far - the first being that belonging to Doug Wilson (who also convinced Rudy to find a way to do it), 2nd to Wolfgeorge and the third mine.

Mine's doing 375 FPS at 85 PSI. I'll probably be upping it to 398ish (95 PSI) as most sites I play at have a limit of 400 FPS for semi auto DMRs. But, a few sites I go to have a 500 FPS limit so it'll do around 450 on 120 PSI.

Comment

Ah cool. Ill pretend as if all those numbers mean something to me!

Comment

Originally posted by RedHawk View Post
                  Are you doing the P* conversion yourself or getting bingo to do it?
                  I'm giving it a go myself, but doing some ground work before I gut an already nice AEG.
                  My engineering skills aren't excellent, but I'm happy to give it a whack.

When I realise I've made a terrible mistake, I'll chance to throw money at it and beg Bingo to do it.

Comment

Here's the quote from Bingo on it:

The RS SVD uses a completely different gearbox than the CA SVD. The motor is placed into the grip and the bolt cover is attached to the gearbox shell. But like the CA SVD, the nozzle is offset from the cylinder center line. To get maximum performance and avoid the complexities of the “Z” nozzle required in the M14, the Fusion Engine needs to be mounted lower to line up with the hopup unit.

The installation required the reuse of the gearbox shell. This allowed the stock mount points, trigger, fire selector and receiver cover locking lever to be used. The RS SVD gearbox is very long, and it allowed the Fusion Engine to sit inside of it and retain the bolt cover support points. Extensive milling is needed on the gearbox to have the Fusion Engine sit properly within the gearbox shell. The nozzle banjo valve fitting needed to be rotated to the top so the Engine can sit low enough and not interfere with the magazine well.

The Fusion Engine is locked into place using the front mount point and reusing the rear solenoid manifold mount points. All the wiring is run into the motor cage where custom connector circuit board hooks everything together. The wire harness is then run to the front hand grip using a custom wire harness extension piece.
                    It's really not an easy job, I myself am used to machining and to a degree electrical work but this was somewhat out of my league. At the risk of spoiling your day, I'd say either pay Bingo to do it for you or leave it as it is. You'll need to mill the receiver like so:

Comment

Ouch.
                      Thanks for the advice, man. I'll think some more on this. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

Comment

For the work alone? $340 (£220) which included return shipping. I also spent £40 shipping it out there. It was a no brainer for me. I had an M4 with the V2 in which I knew I would barely use, so I sold the external parts, stripped the SVD's gearbox and sent it to Bingo.

I didn't send the entire rifle as the shipping costs would've been stupid for a 7kg rifle (plus all the customs bother). This meant he couldn't fire it so the nozzle work (he bores the nozzle himself as it's custom) had to be done at a guess. It paid off though as it's at a good FPS for me.

If you don't yet own a Polar Star he can buy the upper half of one for you and if you send the gearbox stripped out of the gears/motor/bearings etc then it might be easier.

Comment

Lovely mate, used to have a Guarder AK74, such a great feel too it. If I'm not mistaken, inokatsu made the ak body's for both guarder and lct
                          Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben
                          Thats why i lopped mine off! :D

Comment

Originally posted by RiflemanLizard View Post
                            I spent most of the afternoon servicing two of my AKs, and getting the latest up to top spec. This one is the new G&G 74N mounted with a PSO-1. It only arrived this morning so I've not yet stripped and blued the steel.

BO Manufacture AKM, my favourite AEG by far.

I've always loved the AK. You can have all the HK's and M4's you like. I roll with a boot full of old school.
                            Pics of Real Swords and VFCs shortly.
                            that is stunning ,i'm really trying to resist stripping my cyma and bluing it but i think you just tipped the balance.

Comment

I'd make damn sure it's a steel reciever before you strip it, otherwise you'll be awful dissapointed when the chem blue doesn't take or you melt the receiver if you're hot bluing! :P

Comment

its magnetic in all area's except inside the front of the receiver ,the rear sight block and barrel , i've cold blued ,oil quenched, and ally blacked loads of my stuff so i have little fear of making mistakes , it's the time consuming hard work that i'm not looking forward to.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Jon Bon Find out more about Jon Bon
                                Working...
                                X