Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVIEW: AN/PRC-148 MBITR, working replica by United-Star

United Star AN/PRC-148 MBITR

There currently two offerings: the Spartan and Tactical Workshop working MBITR repros. I personally have no experience with them. There's also a few dummies, the Spartan being usually considered as the only one worthy. But... what about this new contender? A complete set with working military connectors, antennas and competitive functionnality for under 300$... Mmm...

Basic Information
    The testing units are 2nd batch (November 2010), recognized by the "CCI" sticker on top. For those who saw Jimmy Sjogren's review (here) might notice that his review unit does not have this sticker which probably explains the differences with ours. "Real Deal" information: Wikipedia, Thales (Official manufacturer's website)

Technical specs

Adjustable stepping (5kHz/6.25kHz/10kHz/12.5kHz/25kHz/50kHz)
    Adjustable transmitting power (0.5W/1W/2W/3W/4W/5W)
    100 Memory frequencies
    Editable channel name
    Voce emission feature (VOX)
    Battery indicator
    Cable replication
    Adjustable backlight brightness
    Lockable channel mode
    2000 mAh lithium battery
    Headset compatibility: U283/U (electret microphones, or condenser with specific PTT) and Kenwood 2-pins.
    Antenna compatibility: TNC

Packaging

2000 mAh lithium battery pack
    0.34m (13.5po) short antenna
    1.2m (4ft) blade antenna
    1.1m (45po) antenna relocation cable + MOLLE clamp
    Power adapter (battery charger)
    Programming cable (serial plug... some people might need a USB adapter)
    Programming software (see post #2)
    User's manual (relatively good english, modern chinese, traditional chinese)
    Wrist lanyard
    Radio procedures sticker (Medevac/air support/deliberate attack considerations)

Review
    Pictures (I'll take some myself later)

As you can see, the kit is complete. Comes with all you need to use it right away including -something I especially appreciate- United-Star's own version of the Antenna Relocation kit, which allows to install the large antenna on the back of a plate carrier if needed. Unfortunately, the included programming cable uses serial plugs which are getting phased out of most modern computers... You will need either a USB adapter (which might be tricky and cause drivers issues) or, my personal choice, just buy a USB programming cable. Being compatible with Kenwood cables (Kenwood, Puxing, Wouxun, etc... most midrange chinese 4/5W radios) makes it relatively easy to find.

Only thing that seems a bit less professional are the software miniCDs which are blank (not United-Star branded) and... don't always work. Mine did, but I had to send the software to my teammate as his wasn't working for some reason.

Other than this issue, the radio is beautiful; even if it has a plastic outer casing, it has a nice weight, and doesn't have any play anywhere. It feels sturdy, and the plastic is hard (won't get scratched too easily). The U283 comes with a plastic cover, attached with a small lanyard. The channel selection knob clicks nicely in place and the rubber buttons feel great. The LCD is also easy to use.

It is not waterproof, but it is waterresistant. So... if it rains, you shouldn't have any issues. But it's not designed to be submerged, so I would be careful if I have to cross a river or similar situations.

Only complaint I have as far as the exterior goes is the volume knob; it turns too easily, I can definitely see it getting turned all the way up/down ingame, eventually causing communications issues. We'll see later if there's anything to be done about this. If you're using the Kenwood-type plug (or need to program the radio), just remove the two small screws on the "gold" panel at the right of the radio, and make sure you don't loose them!

As far as antennas goes, it's using the TNC plug - same as the real antennas, which can be found on eBay! For those who would prefer more low-profile antennas, it's easy to find SMA adapters to use Puxing/Wouxun/etc antennas. The whip antenna looks good. The blade antenna also looks good; it stays straight in the air if let loose, but also folds down easily without excessive torsion (which could lead to cracks on the joints) if needed. Note that the whip only has the gooseneck part that's working - what's left (the blade itself) is just a dummy for the looks which screws and the tip of the gooseneck.

Don't forget that you need to put some force down, and keep it while screwing on.

The battery pack is detachable and the mechanism is firm, no play at all. Unfortunately, as of feb 26th 2011, none is available separately. I asked the distributor who told be it's not currently planned, but will see what can be done...

As a base of comparison, a Puxing PX777 has a 1200 mAh battery... and I used had mine for 5 days in -25 weather on hike and it died on the 5th day. At 2000 mAh for the MBITR, it should definitely last long enough.

It comes with a "pin charger" (2,47mm diameter, 12V & 240V output) which you just plug directly into the battery pack (see the small hole, on the battery below).

Manual is bilingual (english/chinese). Not perfect, but totally understandable. That being said it's missing a section on software use (no manual on the CD, nothing in the booklet) and the section on programming directly on the radio is very basic, so you'll probably have to play around a bit. Anyone familiar with other radios shouldn't have a problem but newcomers to programmable radios will probably get lost in the options...

I will try to write a basic guide, but anyone willing to help is very welcome!

Many have been asking questions about the U283 plug... well first of all, it is fully working. However, the impedence it has been designed with means that you cannot use condenser mics out of the box.

It will work with, assuming you have the proper plug:

Davie's TASC1 (real)
    Bowman (real)
    Peltor COMTACI/II (real) with Element/Z-Tactical microphone (it's plug & play without modification)
    Any repro (Element/Z-Tactical) headset rewired with a U283
    Peltor COMTAC & MSA Sordins with impedence matching box/mpedence matching PTT
    H250 (real)

I personally have a THALES Speaker mic connected using the U283. I have had issues with the 2pin connector with Z tactical headsets.The Kenwood plug will work with all the usual suspects (Z-Tactical/Element, Cavalvy, etc...) but i just went for the real deal.
    As you can see, given you have the right PTT, it can work with any headset. Otherwise, if it doesn't have the correct impedence, you won't be able to emit properly (reception will work perfectly).

Also IMPORTANT, YOU CAN NOT PROGRAM (tune) THIS RADIO FROM THE UNIT BUT ONLY FROM THE PROGRAM provided ITSELF
    Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Here are some pictures of the Unit with a Real Thales Speaker mic. It comes with whip attenna but thats connected to my molle on my IOTV.

Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Comment

Re: REVIEW: AN/PRC-148 MBITR, working replica by United-Star

I think that you should credit the original reviewer; Conker, of AirsoftCanada.com, who wrote his review (which you appear to have cut & pasted almost in it's entirety) in November 2010. For those who have one of these, or are about to buy one, read this thread, which outlines some of the issues with this radio:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=114793
      Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

dj2l8b I have been airsofting over `15 years. I have seen the hobby progress from what it was then to now. I am part of a Milsim group called Black Emerald Group. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blackemeraldtactical/ Youtube Channel: Black Emerald Group (NOT TACTICAL) I also have my own Dj Business, which we can cater for all types of events, Birthdays, Weddings, Parties. We also sometimes do events in Swansea and help local companies and businesses grow. I you like to know more https://www.facebook.com/B2BENTERTAINMENTHIRE Find out more about dj2l8b
      Working...
      X