Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hong Kong Replica PEQ-15 vs Insight AN/PEQ-15

This a not all mine but i will add more to it. But here goes
    I have come to own a Hong Kong replica of the PEQ-15. This one is by an outfit calling itself “Invisiblesight.” I also have access to a real Insight AN/PEQ-15, so I though it would be interesting to compare the two. Please note that I wouldn’t really call this a review. I am comparing a single example of each unit. Further, unlike a lot of hard drivers here, I’ve only had the briefest of experiences with any other kind of unit (an older AN/PEQ-2). I will try to give my subjective and qualitative comparisons of the lasers, but I don’t have a way to measure power output, and my camera isn’t up to the task of taking pics through the NODs. In addition, my experience base is very limited. Take my opinions for what their worth (that is, exactly what you paid for them!). I am trying to borrow a camera that can do through-the-NODs pics, but for now I’ll just give me “best guess.”

For convenience, I will refer to the Invisiblesight unit as “the replica” and the real PEQ as the “ATPIAL.”

Most here are probably familiar with it, but I’ll start with a quick overview of the genuine Insight AN/PEQ-15 ATPIAL.

The ATPIAL was developed as a follow-on to the AN/PEQ-2 laser point/illuminator unit. Like the PEQ-2, it has an IR laser and an IR laser-based illuminator. In addition, the ATPIAL adds a visible, red aiming laser, and is in a package about ½ the size and weight of the PEQ-2.

The ATPIAL functions fairly simply. The switch is rotated counterclockwise from the off position to select the visible aiming laser, and this is the only way the visible laser can be selected, making it less likely the visible laser can be activated inadvertently in a critical situation. The first position clockwise is the “programming” position where the flash rate of the IR illuminator can be selected. The flashing can help pick your aiming point out of a mess of others if you’re with a team. The next position is aiming laser only in low power, the next is the dual low position. If the safety screw is removed then the high power (non eye-safe) modes can be selected. These are aiming laser alone, illuminator alone, and dual high. The units can be activated by either pressing the button on the body of the unit, or with a pressure pad. Activation is normally momentary, but if you “double-click” the button or pad, the units are constant-on.

The illuminator can be adjusted from spot to flood, but even the widest flood setting is pretty narrow and really, intended more for a good positive target ID, rather than an observation flood. However, the illuminator lens cover has a built-in diffuser which makes the illuminator more useful indoors.

The Aiming lasers come with a number of lens covers. The standard cover is opaque over the visible aiming laser, and slightly cuts down the intensity of the IR laser, since even at low power it can bloom strongly at close range. The other covers are holographic pattern generators which give the aiming lasers a shape which can help identify your own aiming spot. When combined with flashing, there are quite a few combinations.
    The two aiming lasers are both zeroed with one set of screws, which means that the IR laser can be zeroed by zeroing the red laser, without the need to use NODs. The illuminator is zeroed independently, which is useful for a spot such as this, because you want the spot centered on the aimer for target ID purposes. One bad feature is that illuminator zero must be adjusted with a flat head screw-driver, making it difficult to quickly center the spot on the aiming laser at different ranges.

OK…. That was kind of long-winded, so now on to the comparison.

Physical packaging.

As you can see from the pictures, the replica strongly resembles the ATPIAL. The ATPIAL’s body is made of a strong, glass-filled polymer that is extremely sturdy. The replica is made of heavy polystyrene. It feels sturdy in the hand, but when held side by side with the ATPIAL, it’s clearly inferior. I’m not afraid of the replica breaking under normal use, though I do doubt it’s up to prolonged hard use or a really hard impact. The ATPIAL is sealed from water. In the pictures, you can see that all the screws are sealed, and the zeroing screws are sealed with a rubber-like gasket. The replica has no such sealing. The manufacturer says these are “splash-proof,” but I wouldn’t really trust that. If you think the unit might get rained on, I’d recommend sealing it up with some silicon. It’s certainly not submersible.

The ATPIAL has a serial number molded into the top front edge of the unit and on the data plate (both blurred out in my pics). The replica has neither of these. The replica does have official-looking warning placards and a data plate.

Both units are powered by single CR123 battery, which is located in the same position on both.

Features

The replica includes 2 aiming lasers, one IR (830 nm) and one visible (650 nm), as well as an IR illuminator. Unlike the IR illuminator on the ATPIAL (which is laser-based), the replica’s illuminator is LED-based. It is non adjustable is either focus or power. The IR aiming laser, likewise, can only be operated at one power level. Which emitter is activated is, like on the ATPIAL, controlled by a rotary switch. As on the ATPIAL, rotating the switch counter-clockwise from the off position selects the visible laser. Rotating one position clockwise (to the what, on the ATPIAL, is the programming position) selects the illuminator alone. The replica does not support flash rate programming. The next position is the IR aimer alone, and the next, both the IR illuminator and the IR aimer. The replica’s rotary switch can not be moved to “high power” positions.

The button and pressure pad on the replica work differently than on the ATPIAL. Pressing the button on the body of the replica brings the unit to constant-on. This button has a decidedly mushy feeling as compared to the ATPIAL. The pressure pad (also somewhat mushy, but less so than the button on the body) is momentary-on only.

The replica does include lens covers, but other than protecting the lenses when not in use, they are not functional.

Lasers

The visible red laser on the replica is well-collimated, and bright. It appears to be approximately the same power as on the ATPIAL. Both units provide a discrete, distinct aiming dot at close range (inside 25 m). At 50 m, the ATPIAL remains very crisp, while the replica shows some slight fuzziness. At 100 m, the ATPIAL remains crisp, while the replica is less distinct. However, the replica remains useable at that range.

The IR laser of the replica appears to be somewhat weaker than the “high power” setting of the ATPIAL. It is much brighter than the “low power” setting. On the one hand, that means a pretty powerful beam for relatively cheap. As with the visible laser, it’s pretty crisp and discrete at closer ranges, and somewhat fuzzier at longer ranges. I only tested the lasers out to 200 m, but the replica’s laser remains usable at that range (probably much longer… it was still easily visible and pretty well defined at that range).

According to the manufacturer, the lasers are mechanically aligned, and they appeared to be aligned within a couple MOA. The lasers have held zero over 200 rounds, but given that the zeroing screws are held by friction only (assisted by springs), I’d be pretty religious about double checking zero.

Illuminator

The IR illuminator is a CREE LED. It’s glows a faint red when activated. It’s pretty bright, though it doesn’t have anything like the throwing power of the ATPIAL’s illuminator. It’d probably be useful for about 30/50m . I have had some experience with other illuminators, its nothing like my NVGS illuminator but its perfect for Target ID. Still, it’s better than the PVS-mounted illuminator, and can be “strobed” with the pressure pad.

The £100,000 question.

OK, so is it worth it? If you’re looking for cheap and available alternative for a military-grade PEQ-like unit, I don’t think this is it. The unit is simply not sturdy enough, or shielded from the elements enough to fill that role. If you ever imagine your life depending on a PEQ-type unit, then I think you’d be better off saving up the money and getting the genuine article. but since this is airsoft, its a cool range toy, a laser for night hunting, or a less-expensive back-up to a real PEQ, this might fit the bill. It would also fill the role of adding a decent final touch to a replica AR build for a lot less money than the real deal.

ATPIAL on left, replica on right:

The ATPIAL (on left) has gaskets to seal the zeroing screws:

Couple things to note here... the slight difference in the battery compartment cover, the lack of an "in use" micro-LED on the replica, and no metal insert on the safety screw socket:

An obvious difference is the the look of the illuminator with the lens cover/diffuser off:

I haven't had a chance to fire with it on my GBB. So till next MILSIM game I cant tell you weather the Lasers stay zeroed. I have zeroed the lasers so that my gun is accurate. But i will update later when played with.
    Assumption is the mother of F*&% Ups!

Re: Hong Kong Replica PEQ-15 vs Insight AN/PEQ-15

Update after a whole days of running around and shooting on WE M4. I can say the Lasers hold zero. The IR light is not as bright as i thought in open areas but in CQB its perfect..
    Would I recommend this? Yes. its good for the value.

Comment

more importantly can you zero in the laser on the HK version? one I have seen, seem to not have this function..
      FOR SALE
      7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
      , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

Yes you can zero both the IR and Vis laser. The IR laser is zeroed by turning the screws on the Vis Laser. Once the Vis is zeroed, the IR one will be too.

Here are some picturess of the IR laser and IR flood

Comment

Cool, i didnt catch the full name of these. Can you om me detail please
          FOR SALE

Comment

If you google this Exactly " InvisibleSight® PEQ-15-G-mk2 IR illuminator, Red laser & IR laser" you are good to go.

Comment

I meant for the fake one!! lol, the one that come up was $540
              FOR SALE

Comment

That is the fake one lol, the other one in the review is a REAL one which is $1500 at least. In the text there was a comparison of the Real on the left and the Invisible sight one. The fake one is around £200-300. But like i stated before if you want value for money. Its worth it.
                Mind let me remind you it comes with life time warranty on the fake one and it uses Milspec lasers and is waterproof to a point.
                Its not like those crappy $50 airsoft ones that are all over the net.
                Last edited by dj2l8b; 13 February, 2013, 10:38.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

dj2l8b I have been airsofting over `15 years. I have seen the hobby progress from what it was then to now. I am part of a Milsim group called Black Emerald Group. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blackemeraldtactical/ Youtube Channel: Black Emerald Group (NOT TACTICAL) I also have my own Dj Business, which we can cater for all types of events, Birthdays, Weddings, Parties. We also sometimes do events in Swansea and help local companies and businesses grow. I you like to know more https://www.facebook.com/B2BENTERTAINMENTHIRE Find out more about dj2l8b
                Working...
                X