Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Arms Glock 17 Lower Frame for KSC Review

Pro Arms Glock 17 Lower Frame for KSC Review
    So this is my first review and I wanted to write it because to be honest when I received this part I was really disappointed. I’m not an airsoft expert and have limited experience modifying and repairing GBB pistols, however this is my third build/modification and because of this I've bought a fair few upgrade parts. This frame fell well below what I'd come to expect so I wanted to write down my thoughts so that anyone interested in buying one might think again.

Why would you want a Pro Arms G17 Lower Frame- So, I like trades.... I like creating guns with realistic trades nearly as much as playing airsoft itself. I’m no expert on RS guns but like to get as close as I can to them within reason (financially and practically). I bought a cheap KSC Glock 17 with the intention of replacing the slide to a PGC slide and changing out the lower frame for a Pro Arms one. I had hoped that this would give me better trades than the KSC (which is the later model with the 'Glock' trades removed due to legal issues) and a more robust, solid plastic.

There is another very thorough review on these frames which I recommend reading. I've written this review with the other review in mind but without stealing bits!
    http://www.airsoft-barracks.com/foru...c34-frame-tan/

Packaging and contents- I bought the frame from an Asian Retailer at a reasonable price of $26 (approx. £17) . The frame is hard to find available in the UK but is readily available abroad and comes in Black. OD and Tan if you fancy a colour change.
    It was shipped in a zip locked plastic bag a little like an anti-static bag you would receive a computer component in. In the package was the frame itself an a small square plastic block which slots into place in the magwell just above the mag release button. Not entirely sure why this comes uninstalled and not hard moulded in. The one in my original KSC frame is glued in and doesn't require removal when installing any other parts so perhaps this plastic section is too complex for the moulds to create as part of the main frame so its included separately with the intention that the user install it him/herself.

Finish- This section is to give an overview of the surface finish on the Pro-Arms Frame. By the time I’d decided to do this review I’d actually re-assembled the original frame with the rest of the gun. For this reason the pictures used to compare each frame will show one assembled gun and one bare frame (Pro-Arms). Not ideal, but it will give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain.
    The online pictures I viewed when ordering the frame showed a dull black finish comparable to the original KSC Frame. When I opened the package I was firstly hit by how 'glittery' the Pro Arms frame was. It caught the light a lot more than the KSC frame and had a shine to it which for me reeked of cheap low quality ABS. Holding it in your hands enforces this feeling of low quality...the frame 'sounds' thin and brittle and not what I’d expect from an upgrade part.

Original KSC Frame (left) and Pro Arms Frame (right)

Moulding Imperfections- So this is where the Pro Arms frame really fell short for me. I wasn't expecting perfection from this, at the end of the day its an airsoft part and as I'm sure a lot of you know, you don't always get quite the quality you'd hope for. Firstly, looking down the magwell, it was very apparent that either the part hadn't been cleaned after manufacture or was a returned frame (which I was assured it wasn't).
    There was a lot of black dusty residue all the way up the cavity and some light scratching as if it had been filed down after moulding.
    Secondly the mould lines weren't an improvement on the KSC original frame and still quite visible on the underside of the frame, heightened by the glossy finish. The grip 'stippling' is also not as crisp as the original KSC frame, making me think that this frame was created using a mould of the KSC frame resulting in a decrease in accuracy.

The magwell showing a rough surface.

Moulding Defects and Construction- This is when I decided I would go back and install the original KSC Frame in my Glock. On inspection of the frame I realised the left hand side pin hole which holds the trigger assemble bar in had not been moulded or drilled correctly (I'm unsure which it should be). After spending $26 on she part I’d expect it to be ready out of the box, but this defect meant that I would have to drill the hole myself and risk ruining the finish further. Out of principle I decided not to do this and opted to return it for a refund.
    Another issue was with the tiny pin hole which the mag release spring (part 72) sticks into was also too shallow and made the spring too high to sit in the mag release button (part 70). This would need to be drilled out as well to allow correct functioning.

The above image shows the slight recess where the trigger assembly hole should be.

Trades- This is the main reason I bought this frame. Original KSC Glocks had the improved trademarks and in particular the 'Glock' moulding on the bottom of the left hand side grip. The later models had these trades removed so unless you can find an original KSC frame (which have become rare to find) the Pro Arms frame is your only way to get realistic trades on a KWA/KSC. As I've stated, I'm no expert on airsoft trades (I know there are many of you on this forum who are), but I love creating and modifying airsoft guns to look, feel and sound as realistic as possible.
    The Glock trademark previously mentioned is a bit disappointing on the Pro Arms Frame. I can’t completely put my finger on it but something just doesn't feel right about it. It’s very shallow for a start, and feels cheaply done. If you are manufacturing something for a specific part of the Airsoft market, i.e. well trademarked parts, why would you then not make the trades the best they could be?
    The trade is also very glossy and polished and totally out of keeping with the rest of the frame which is already too shiny. Again, I haven't held a RS Glock but I would imagine those trades would be matt like the frame and much deeper. Perhaps these trades were 'pressed' on and somehow created after the main moulding but I'm no expert so this is just speculation.

The Glock Trade on the LHS of the grip

Conclusion- My issue with this frame is that it disappoints in the aspects that make it a seemingly great purchase. I was hoping for a component that improved on KSC's offering but this frame fell short for me in all areas. The poorly moulded trades that I bought it for in the first place weren't good enough for me to pick it over the original frame. That's why this purchase is back in its packaging and on its way back from where I bought it.

sigpic

Re: Pro Arms Glock 17 Lower Frame for KSC Review

Thank's for the review sonicninja, I've read a couple of reviews of their frames and the general consensus is that their quality control is dire - every so often you get a horrendous frame, but some are very good.

Might still pick up an OD one at some point...
    Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Having viewed the other review I mentioned the Tan frame didn't seem to come out with the same glossy finish as the black one. I'm considering asking for my returned one to be exchanged but I've not decided yet.
      Cheers
      sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sonicninja Find out more about sonicninja
      Working...
      X