Quick Mosfet Review / round up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Mosfet Review / round up

Ive been asked a few times which mosfet is best, But there is no real answer to that as it depend on whats required.

So ill give my thoughts on the mosfets ive used and abused

1. Hornbill Mosfet
    2. Burst Wizard King Kong Elite
    3. Silver Back mosfet motor driver
    4. Apa Mosfet
    5. Fireworks Ares
    6. Raptor v2

1. Hornbill Mosfet basic mosfet that stops trigger arching no other operation and does not replace fuse. did work well but after a few forced shorts to test strength it when pop. cost £18-£25

2. Burst Wizard. I hard wired this but it does have plug and play option but this does not protect trigger. It has alot of features for which most didnt work in the way it was advertised , It is not compatable with the Tm recoil sopmod with the bolt stop as the rotation of the gear box makes the tappet plate position be all the way back so the bolt stop fails to work.
    tried piston advance and precocking but none helped.
    The only feature i got working right was the burst and semi only which did work very well. does not have protection via resetting fuse so inline fuse is needed . and after alot of fiddling and speaking to kong the maker the mosfet died. Advise would be v2 or v3 gearbox DMR its ok for but i would never have one again. Price £45-£55

3.Silver Back Motor Driver. Only cheap mosfet if had that gives trigger protection and active braking, a fairly solid mosfet and good value for money if shopped right. does not replace fuse and has not gone pop as of yet
    Price £15-30

4. Apa mosfet. much the same as the hornbill one but has a built in fuse, stronger then the hornbill and only has trigger arch protection. Kit comes complete with new trigger assembly comes front or rear wired.
    Price £15-£30

5. Fireworks Ares Cpu Mosfet. This by far has been the rock of all my mosfets no matter what i throw at it the beast stays alive. options are burst with full auto after .5 sec / normal / semi only. motor speed control + & - from 10% to 50% . And burst speed adjust burst can be changed to suit depending on battery but can be tuned for 3 round burst for its sweet spot. has lipo protection and replaces fuse with resetting fuse. has start up testing to advise if the gun has any problems like shorts or trigger engauged over heat and more. if an error is detected the cpu tells you what the problem is and shuts down to prevent damage. If your thinking about tuning your airsoft weapon this is what i would recomend, Comes with everything needed for install . wires / motor connectors / heat shrink etc . Cpu chips can be reprogrammed free of charge by fireworks and repairs can also be done as the support is the best ive had for an item. You will be happy with this choice and sopmod users can use it with no problems to bolt stop.
    Price £45

6. Raptor v2 . Not alot i can say here as mine broke before it had much of a run. i guess it was ok but as with most things if you have too many things to go wrong they normally do. i cant see the point in the micro switch trigger i didnt notice any change from other mosfets its just something to go wrong.
    Returned mosfet as bought direct but after they rebranded no refund was given lost money. but you cant get them anymore besides 2nd hand but i would avoid as you have no support.
    Price was £95-£110

So as a round up choose what you want from your weapon and what budget you have. On a small budget Silver Back motor Driver is good, But for a little more you can get a Fireworks Ares with the support anyone will be happy with.

I will be testing more soon will include BTC ( old raptor ) so this will be a test till it breaks to see if its any better then the raptor as i dont feel too great about the support we will get.

Also Gate mosfet will be tested.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

(Note this is my experience and i can only advise on that)
    Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Thanks so much mate for taking the time to do your write up. I was going to buy a king Kong but will now steer clear! Considering £45 is about 20% of the value of my AEG, will it improve my shooting experience?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Re: Quick Mosfet Review / round up

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
      Thanks so much mate for taking the time to do your write up. I was going to buy a king Kong but will now steer clear! Considering £45 is about 20% of the value of my AEG, will it improve my shooting experience?

Hi Rich

As i said it depends what you want. mosfet in general will save the trigger contacts but a cpu mosfet will give you many options.

the one i use in all my guns is the fireworks ares . i do because sometimes i play woodland and burst shooting saves bb's and you still have full auto if you hold trigger down. but when i play urban its semi only in buildings so i just change it to semi only so no mistakes are made. also if i fancy changing my spring i can go dmr sniper mode in semi only without changing the guns selector plate etc.

i also use lipo batteries so the protection for them alone is worth it and with the resetting fuse.
      Yes you can use a weapon with no problems with no mosfets but if you upgrade to 7.4v lipo for the constant power and quick charging etc etc get a mosfet so you dont burn out your trigger contacts.

as for improved play i find 3 round burst is great for a change and picking off targets without spamming full auto and stay hidden. it can turn a cheaper gun into something that feels you have more for your money.
      as for me i will always use them now and if you have more then one gun you can use it on all of them. just wire the guns up to be able to take the mosfet and switch it when you change gun.

Comment

Can you choose more than 3 shots in your burst? Like can you have it set to six?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
          Can you choose more than 3 shots in your burst? Like can you have it set to six?

The default is 3 but depending on the battery you use the burst speed can be raised so you can change it but not to 6 but 2 pulls of the trigger will do the trick :D

bang for buck the fireworks ares is the best value mosfet about i think. if it was £100 im sure people wouldnt complain i wouldnt .

Comment

Just to add to the Raptor V2 comments, not sure which version you had (x100, 120, 130), but for the sake of this thread the Raptor is now discontinued.

The point of the micro switch was to create a true 'drop in' system, rather than a hybrid system that needed to be fitted.

I had several of these and they were really good, however....

Having installed the BTC Chimera, things have got even better, allbeit with a trigger board and a small seperate unit.

There is even a new trigger board coming soon which means you don't even need the cut off lever.

So with the incorporation of the best mosfets out there (extreme fire, copied by many) I'm not sure it's helpful to call it the new Raptor. It's a big step on from there.

I really love being able to program each fire position independently including different strengths of active breaking.

And it's probably worth mentioning the ASCU V3. By all accounts, don't go there!
            Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
            Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

ive had a raptor in my vfc pdw for 2 years now without a problem,paid £65 direct from source, bought the last version,and broke a part of it when i was installing it,got in contact with the man who makes them,and he sent me the part within a week to fix it,now the new chimera has a website dedicated to parts etc....al in all the after sales service was much better than ASCU,who took weeks to answer,and months to replace a data cable
              VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
              trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mirlock Find out more about mirlock
              Working...
              X