• Battery Life:25 Hours (high setting)
    • Brightness Settings:1-5 and ""Off""
    • Max Recoil:Up to .50 caliber
    • Construction:Aircraft-grade Aluminum
    • Operating Temperature:-10 Degrees Celsius to 50 Degrees Celsius
    • Dimensions:3.7 x 1.8 x 2.4 (inches)
    • Weight:5.7 oz

side.jpg

Sight finally arrived and first impressions out of the box - its much lighter than I thought it would be. As I have replaced bits and pieces on my scar its gradually gained a fair bit of weight and so the good news is that this won't add much. I wouldn't even say its noticeable - good news for those of you who are looking for something that won't weigh down their rifles or SMG's.

Included in box
    • Alan key
    • Neoprene cover
    • Battery (already installed)
    • cleaning cloth
    • Instructions

Build

At the same time it does not feel remotely flimsy. There is no flex in the body or wobble in the dials. The brightness dial on the side clicks nicely between the settings and the mode switch at the rear snaps crisply into place.
    Mounted on the rails there is no wobble although I did need to shim one side to make it sit level. I can't really blame that on the sight though - something I've noticed about the top rail on the WE SCAR -is that I've had to shim every sight I've had including the new BB shield.

front.jpgselector dial.jpgbrightness dial.jpg

Sight Picture

So here are the categories if I've remembered them all.
    • Ghosting
    • Parallax
    • Cut off (loosing the reticule near the edges of the lens
    • Lens tint & reflection
    • Brightness/daylight visibility
    Ghosting
    The pictures speak for themselves here. The reticule is very crisp and the blurring you see on the brightest setting is just the camera having difficulty focusing.

4 dot.jpg3 cross.jpg2 cross dot.jpg1 circle.jpg

Parallax
    Set the sight up on the table and aimed it at a fixed point. Moving my head around the sight stayed on target.

Cut off
    Checked the reticule along all of the edges and right into the corners. There was no cut-off at any point like you get on some cheapo sights where there appears to be an invisible border around the lens beyond which it disappears.

Lens tint & reflection
    Now this could be better. There is noticeable tint and in very dark conditions without illumination it will make target acquisition a bit more difficult. To put it in a way you could easily imagine - it's not remotely as bad as mesh goggles on a night shoot so quite manageable really.
    The reticule is not remotely visible from the front although you can see the tiny light source from certain angles.
    Some complain that the cheapo sights are like trying to look through a mirror in bright daylight - not an issue here. Reflection is barely noticeable.

corner rear.jpgfront angle.jpg

Brightness/daylight visibility
    Excellent brightness no pics for this but was pew-pewing people with it all day without loosing the reticule.

Conclusion

This sight is pretty impressive especially considering it cost me £68 including international shipping from the US.

You can however get it to misbehave. The further you mount it away from your eye the larger the reticule appears. Mounted where I have it is about as far as you would want to go. Any further and the reticule warps when you view it around the edges of the lens. Center is fine, however you can also get it to ghost if you turn your head and look at it at an angle (not like you would if testing for parallax - more like trying to look out of the corner of your eye).
    I should make it clear though that this could be down to my astigmatism and most people with any sense will be facing the sight when trying to aim as the enemy is generally where you're pointing your rifle. If you like facing in one direction and aiming in another, a little ghosting and parallax is the least of your worries.

Only time will tell how rugged this thing is. First chance I get I'll zero it in, do a group and re-test it a few months down the line to see how its kept its zero.

If anyone has any questions please ask.

Re: Sightmark SM13005 Ultra Shot Reflex Sight

I'm on ipad so I can't give you a thumbs up.

This will have to suffice (Y)

Comment

As I am unlikely to want to test point blank shots with my sight especially after it took so long to get it check out this vid instead:

Then as I don't know anyone with a genuine eotech:

Comment

Just an update - Had this thing out tonight at 1 Shot CQB in Kirkcaldy and couldn't have performed better. The tint in the lens was barely noticeable. Zeroed in before I left and held all night long. Absolutely destroyed tiny slivers of people like their elbows, feet and backsides peeking out behind cover with pin-point accuracy.

My WE SCAR might not be the most accurate gun at long range but over these distances it was absolutely perfect. I would highly recommend this to anyone and in all honesty, unless you can buy a real steel firearm sight for similar money I don't know why you would buy anything else. Also - the slight ghosting I mentioned is entirely down to my astigmatism and was rectified by bending me glasses back in to the proper shape.

BUY. THIS. NOW.

Comment

Just a quick update - Months on the sight is still perfectly zero'd, no wear and tear, still on the original battery and going strong. Not even the slightest complaint from me and has exceeded all expectations. Will be looking at getting another one for my PDW. Highly recommend.

Comment

Think I'm going to buy one for my VAL, unfortunately my PK01V doesn't fit, and I really don't want to take it off the mount

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Polarblair Find out more about Polarblair
            Working...
            X