Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optics: The Best Of Both Worlds

4x ACOG With Seperate Red Dot Sight Review
    (This review is about a 4x Acog sight with a small Red Dot sight that sits on top of it)

When trying to decide which road to go down regarding optics for my MP5, I didn't totally know which way I wanted to go. Did I want a Red Dot Sight for CQB's, or a zoomed scope for outdoors? I do both, and sometimes you get the opportunity to snipe indoors, and sometimes you get up close and personal outdoors.........so what do you do?? Luckily enough there is a set up that caters for both! Actually, there is more than one option for 'dual sight' set ups out there, this is just the one that worked for me.

4x Acog:
    The main sight is a replica Trijicon 4x Acog Scope. I got it from Ant Supplies for around £95. If you're happy to wait a while for postage, I'm sure a Hong Kong Ebay seller would be a bit less. Here are the specifications:
    1) It comes with a 20mm rail clamp, and also a Dovetail clamp.
    2) Integrated iron sights. (These I removed to fit the Red Dot sight)
    3) All metal construction with mat black finish and dual-layer coated lenses.
    4) You can adjust the windage and elevation, but not by just turning the black knobs as these are just covers. You will need a coin or screwdriver to make the adjustments once you unscrew the covers.
    5) The eye relief is just right, you don't need to put your eye right up to the lens. In fact, it's about an inch or two back.
    6) 4x magnification should be enough for the range of most AEGs, unless you're a :sniper: of course.

Mini Red Dot Sight:
    On top of the Acog is a 45mm long Red Dot 1x Reflex Sight. I got it from a Hong Kong Ebay seller for around £32. However, I have just noticed that you can buy the two units together from some internet sites for less than what I paid. Doh! Here are the specifications:
    1) Includes internal battery.
    2) Windage and elevation adjustments.
    3) A protective cap cover.
    4) Full metal construction with anti-glare lens.
    5) It comes with the metal bracket to fix it to the Acog.
    6) It also includes a 20mm rail mount, so you could fit it to a pistol if it had a top rail.

The combination of these two units, once zero'd, is amazing! I set up the Acog for around 30m, and can now tag a Coke can when the crosshairs are on it. The Red Dot sight was set for about 10m and works just as good as the more expensive larger units.

The beauty of this combination is how little you have to do to change from short to long range shooting.........just move your head! Some dual set ups involve having to unclip and flip a zoom lens out of the way, then back again if you need to zoom in. Too much hassle and a bit time consuming for me. This is far more simpler, and I think it looks quite cool. It will of couse add a bit of weight to the gun, but when has that ever stopped us?

PRO's:
    1) Ticks two boxes
    2) Everythings metal so it's durable
    3) Looks pretty cool
    4) Little effort to switch between

CON's:
    1) Sits slightly high
    2) No lens cover for the Acog
    3) Weight increase to gun
    4) Price

All in all, a pretty good set up. It may not be your cup of tea if you prefer seperate units. But if you want the best of both worlds all in one unit, it would be hard to beat this combo!

Thanks for reading,

Danny

Re: Optics: The Best Of Both Worlds

that little sight is called a DOCTER sight
    Originally posted by LeeBristolAirsoft
    Seriously.... WTH?
    Tenth Prestige!
    http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60213
    http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?p=424466

Comment

Doctor Sight
      Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

Doctor sight are sexy as.
        Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
        Just because something is in Transformers 2 doesnt make it real.

Comment

MP5s with Acogs have always been a funny sight lol
          Good review mate

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean, it's like putting a scope on a pistol, it just makes no sense. However, with a new hop rubber and 6.03 tightbore fitted, it's keeping up with some M4's out there in the skirmish field. So I'm happy enough

And yes, a Doctor sight, I knew I forgot that....oops

Thanks for your comments guys.

D.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

DannyDee An airsofter from Northern Ireland Find out more about DannyDee
            Working...
            X