• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviewed: MAG 190 Rnd Metal M16 Midcaps

This is my first review, so let's see how it goes :D

MAG M16 190 Rds Metal Midcap

Intro

MAG are a fairly new player in the airsoft scene, but seem to be winning friends all over the field with their offerings. They have the reputation of being high quality, with great capacity, but also at a decent price. Based on a lot of good words, and previous experience with their P90 mags I decided to take the plunge and buy 2 boxes of 5.

Externals

The magazine itself looks good. I always feel a metal magazine just looks a whole lot better than the plastic counter parts. There is a nice weight to each mag, which gives that more realistic feel too. Metal midcaps always get my vote, as they prevent splitting and standard up to a lot more abuse! Unlike many mags, these are a grey colour - certainly not black.

Internals

Here is where MAG really work their magic, and in my view really excel from the competition. The construction of the magazine inners seem very study. Plenty of screws in the right places, which keeps everything in place as it should be.

However, the real party piece is the 190 capacity. This is crazy, this is a midcap which is almost the same capacity as a high cap - with no rattles or winding! As some magazines real capacity seems to be a bit lower than advertised, I counted how many it holds with ease. The answer.... 189 with almost no effort on 1st fill! Taking a look inside, we can see just how they manage to squeeze so many BB's into one mag. The BB's there are for show, as this is normally double stacked.

With any airsoft item, the key to things working when you need them is good maintenance. There cannot be an easier magazine to work on than the ones by MAG. In the past I've tried to rebuild/lube magazines from the likes of S. Arms. Almost impossible to get the spring round the inside and sealed back up! With these (and the P90 mids) you can remove/insert the spring with the magazine built. This really could not be easier. Simply push the spring guide up, and remove the long snake of spring. You can then clean and relube the magazine, before putting it all back. Then just push the spring back in, really no effort required.

Field Testing

These magazines certainly "talk the talk", but do they "walk the walk"?! From my own experience yes - if you feed them right.

My BB of choice until now has been the Zero One .25 as they were at the time (I brought 24 bags!) the cheapest by a country mile for that weight. Unfortunately, these seem to jam in the magazine at the ramp when upright. They did feel perfectly on their side though. Using the Blaster .20's and .25's they feed perfectly. Emptying the whole magazine in seconds. I've had problems with the Z1 BB's before on some mags. So it is unclear who was the blame, the BB, the mag or a bit of both!

For myself, not a major issue. I am coming to the end of my Z1 .25's, and although they are still very good value (~£1.80/1000) the Blaster .25's work out not much different (~£2.00/1000)

As with all metal mags, the paint can come off when chucked around in the dump pouch. I've not used these too much as yet, but with some scratching at the rain I did get some little rust spots.

Conclusion

When I first got these magazines and they were not feeding my BB's I was rather annoyed to be honest. It is worth pointing out other people have had them working with Z1 BB's.

Anyway, for myself, since swapping to new ammo I am delighted with them. They feed well, have great capacity and are not too expensive. The downside for myself would be the grey colour and the scratching all metal mags experience. I may well solve both with some black Krylon in the near future!

I give these magazines a solid 9/10 :D

Re: Reviewed: MAG 190 Rnd Metal M16 Midcaps

Good review james :D, what could\'ve made them a 10/10?
    Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
    Just because something is in Transformers 2 doesnt make it real.

Comment

Be nice if they fed my Z1 BB's

I'd also rather they were a more black colour and the paint did not scratch as it did.

But... when it comes to magazines I want performance not looks really. So they very minor issues in my book!

Comment

So just the aesthetics that could\'ve boosted it then?

Comment

I'd say so - nothing some Krylon can't fix anyway! :D

Comment

Nice review, any idea where i can pick up a box of 5 of these ?

Comment

It is a well known fact Zero One is the only airsoft shop in the world

They are a pain to google, what a stupid name for a company "mag" as it brings up everything!

Anyway - got mine from one the major HK retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                It is a well known fact Zero One is the only airsoft shop in the world
                HAHA yeh .

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                They are a pain to google, what a stupid name for a company \"mag\" as it brings up everything!
                Yeh but there REALLY good :D.

Comment

Do you know if MAG make either medium or low caps in metal with the H&K markings? I know they make them in metal plain, or in plastic with the markings, but haven't seen any in metal?

Comment

Just as an update on compatibility, these feed perfectly in my G&P M16A2 carbine, yet dont feed at all in my G&P M16A2.

No idea why, just bear in mind you may have compatibility issues before you buy.

Comment

Any ideas on if they will feed in a G&P M733?
                      Originally posted by The Keeper of Secrets
                      It's a well known fact that more Magpul on your M4 = bigger penis.

Comment

I used them on a G&P metal bodied M4. I've personally used them on ICS and G&G L85s, KA sig556, VFC PDW and various M4s, with no problems.

Great mags in my opinion.
                        AdeUK

Comment

Excellent review.

I have three of these now and all feed flawlessly in my A&K LR300.
                          102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

Excellent,

where did you get these from Jag?!

I currently have 120 round M4 clips for my G36c, but I may be intrested in upgrading them!! :D
                            FOR SALE
                            7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
                            , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jagillham Find out more about jagillham
                            Working...
                            X