• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirFet Mosfet

Hey guys ,

i have just installed this mosfet into my M4

right, first off ----

The mosfet itself it brilliant, but damn its a pain to install

not due to complex components etc, just the simple thing of the too thick wire,
    the wires from the mosfet is 14awg and many only use 16 or 18 awg thickness,
    the quality of the parts is brilliant, the wire does not over heat also this has an inline fuse that auto resets after 3second relapse time .

the mosfet has two wires on the battery end ( red and black per usual )
    after the mosfet board it has three wires ( red and black, green)- the red and black go directly to the motor per usual,

The green or the gate wire goes to the top/vertical trigger contact, and then has to connect to the red wire going to the motor in some way ( any way you find easy ) ..

after it is fitted , test it with the battery fitted and you will know the item works as it just stops dead when trigger is released ,

ideally the batter end should be a Deans type connector and this will increase ROF and battery life

Re: AirFet Mosfet

Fitted one to a friends TM M4 thats running on 11.1v lipos.
    It wasn't fitted with a mosfet at first and had terrible overspin. So fitted the airfet for him and now trigger response is amazing and has no overspin.
    Glad to read its got an inline fuse, was a tad worried i need to fit one, but obviously dont need to worry now.
    B&T MP5SD5

Comment

I have just fitted one to a friends ICS M4. Now i wasnt aware it had an onboard fuse fitted, so installed one between it and the battery.

Now on testing, i had the motor outside the body, and gave the trigger a few blasts. The motor didnt seem to be 'braking' on release of the trigger, and on the 4-5th pull, the 20a fuse i fitted popped and the FET was quite warm to touch

Any ideas?
      Originally posted by Artekus
      It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

Take out the fuse?

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
        A brain?
        Originally posted by snuff
        Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

But its blown the fuse for a reason, so theres something not happy somewhere surely?
          And ive checked all the cables for any sign of crossed wiring also
          Originally posted by Artekus
          It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

ok due to the board getting hot,

you have blown the fet,

also are the wires fitted properly ie, red and black to motor, the green gate wire needs to be on the top trigger contact and the the red wire has to be soldered onto the bottom trigger contact with NO breaks in the wire and running it as normal to the motor

so you have to splice the red wire into the bottom contact

but get onto the lad at AirFet and ask him about checking it over as by the sounds of it , you have blown the mosfets components if they get hot when trigger is pulled

Comment

Sorry for Necro posting but I'm trying to work out which Fet to get.. Should get the £22 one with passive braking or the £9 without breaking?

I'm a total noob when it comes to mosfets!

Comment

These are just rebranded china fets with some serious design issues... People should avoid. If he mad them him self i might give him some credit but just take off the heat shrink and youll find a china fet board, exactly like ones ive ordered from afar. Its pretty cheeky really trippling the price and labling it his own.

Comment

Originally posted by richardy View Post
                  These are just rebranded china fets with some serious design issues... People should avoid. If he mad them him self i might give him some credit but just take off the heat shrink and youll find a china fet board, exactly like ones ive ordered from afar. Its pretty cheeky really trippling the price and labling it his own.
                  really? swine!
                  TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

Hey guys,

Airfet contacted me theres are indeed made here an not china made like i said, when we took his apart after it died we had several others there, my mosfet guy showed me the china fet one and said it was airfet this was a mistake. Just needed to clear that up fair play to the guy as hes making them here putting in hard slog.

I still stand by my initial review though, out of 4 i think ive brought now 2 gave up the ghost during install and thus i brought no more. Its an older mosfet design which simply has no tollerance for any mistreatment, over heating or cross circuits. Since this is a review thread its important to mention that even airfet will agree that any mistreatment and its dead.

I recommend them if you can get a clean install and have an already working gearbox. If you have a gearbox which youve just done the shimming on say for instance, and havent set the motor height or tested shimming with the cylinder set removed then i wouldnt risk fitting the fet till its fully tested with no resistance or the heat build up will pop it quickly.

Just my personal experience.

Comment

Just a Necro update on these, bought one the other day, delivery time was great. Blew after <10 shots in a v3 box i'd just rewired; been running a Gate Nano ssr in that box for about 3000 plus bbs without issue. So the lack of warranty or replacement renders it poor value really, considering Gate offer an extended warranty and replacement, at only a few quid more for their base model. Shame, but not recommended!

Comment

How did you manage that? I've wired many of these with no issue

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not really sure tbh; nice 14 awg silicon wire from the motor tabs, 18 awg from the contacts, double spliced, wired straight to deans connectors. <10 shots and then stuck on full auto, could just be a lemon, but the nice big red letters on the ebay page saying theres no warranty just kinda put me off; its fair enough that people might not fit them right but now i've noticed that there is no warranty it doesn't inspire me to buy another one i'm afraid.

Comment

I'm considering buying one of these as I was recommended one.

What other options are there in a similar price range? I'm new to mosfets and airsoft really.
                            Using Tapatalk

Comment

The Nano Gate SSR is around the same price, and comes with a warranty; I've used one for a while now and it's been spot on.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

guard-sniper87 Find out more about guard-sniper87
                              Working...
                              X