Viper SAAV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viper SAAV.

I've made one before, but it disapeared...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, Abit about Viper

For those of you who are not familiar with Viper, it's a British tactical clothing and gear manufacturer.

From what i've read, Viper, webtex, realtree and jackpyke clothing are all from the same parent company.

Viper is not, it must be said, military grade gear. It is a brand aimed at the civilian market. By that I mean, security contractors,
    paintballers and us Airsofters. So, don't expect military grade equipment from them, but they are good enough for what we need.

This is their website:

http://www.viperkit.co.uk/site/index.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, let's get on with it, shall we?

Viper South African Assault vest. (SAAV).

This is available in the following:
    • British DPM - Da best.
    • Flecktarn
    • Olive green
    • Sand
    • Auscam
    • Black
    • US woodland

Here's mine, in DPM awsomeness.

The Vest has plenty of pouches. It's up to you to use 'em right!

Heres a quick list of some of the pouches:
    • 6X Double m4/m16 magazine pouches.
    • 2X Grenade pouches
    • 1X utility pouch. This fits 5X mp5 magazines Perfectly!
    • 2X Large rear side comparments. Fits mess tins and ammo bottles very nicely.
    • Hydration pack compartment on the back. Can be used for other means.
    • Lower back compartment. Perfect for a US style canteen, gloves, cammo cream ect.
    • 1X Map/Admin side poch.

Here's some photos to show how well the pouches work:

The Two mess tins fit very snuggly.
    It's a tight sqeeze at first, but I think even with the three ration meals folded inside them, you could still get both of them in.

As I said earlier, 5 mp5 magazines fit perfectly in the front utility pouch.

One of the two grenade pouches. On the right, you see a standrard double m4/m16 magazine pouch. There are six of these.

These m4/m16 pouches fit 3 mp5 magazines in perfectly. I'll show you:

Hydration unit. I got mine for a fiver off ebay. But it's a good idea to invest in a more expensive bladder, as this one is VERY delicate!

Side loops.

The vest has some loops on the side, presumabley for clothing. I've tried my best to fit my smock in, but it's a very tight fit. However, this is the exciting bit.

The side loops can actually be used as a weapon holder. I've managed to fit my bar 10 in easily. And it stays there. Awsome.

But you can attatch all sorts of gear to them. They're great.

Some photos of the loops:

Comfort.

Comfort, especially with loadbearing vests is a Biggie. And with the SAAV, it's abit of a hit and miss.

As a little experiment, I loaded it to the full. Filled every pouch to the breaking point. And It was comfortable, static. But running about with all the pouches full is a little uncofrotable. Thankfully though, everything stays in place.

I've used Brtisih webbing for Seven days straight once, full with mess tins, water bottle, and magazines, and I couldn't take it off, or that'll mean a beasting.

And comparing the two, I can say the British webbing style of carrying was alot more bearable. But Everythings easy to hand on the SAAV.

When the water bladder is inserted though, you feel as the vest is dropping, and you've constantly got to pull it down infront. Nothing major.

Now, it is padded but only slightly. Very thin straps, almost a little too thin. I know they look thick, but they aren't that tough.

Overall, comfort is alright. So long as you don't overload it, it's quite nice to wear.

The side pouches.

I'm going to go into a little more detail for these, as they will probably hold most of your gear. Annoyingly, these have adjustable straps instead of clips. There is someone on the forum who has done some "tactical needle work", and replace them with clips quite nicely.

So if your reading, please post the photo!

Now a really useful bit of the pouches is that they have velcro flaps which open to act as a dump pouch. Abit tricky to get your mags in, but they work. Quite niffty!

But they can be used to hold anything, ammo, water, pistols, anything! They're massive!

Overall.

Well, for about £30 or so you're getting quite a vest. Carries all the gear you could possibly need, even for a over nighter. It's not military grade, but it works. Well.

It's not as good as webtex kit, or Standard webbing, but you really do get a vest worth investing in.

I'd give it a 7/10. Quality is sort of an issue, but you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by bravotwozero; 11 June, 2009, 14:29.

Re: Viper SAAV.

I forgot to mention the admin pouch.

This will fit papers, pens, maps & compasses in. Perfect, and easily reachable.

I couldn't find my OS map, so I stuck my wallet in there just to show you.

If you've got any Q's on the vest, drop me a PM or disscuss it here. And if you have one, please contribute towards the review
    Last edited by bravotwozero; 11 June, 2009, 15:13.

Comment

Just some more photo's of the vest.

As you can see, the DPM on the vest doesn't quite match the proper stuff.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that it's difficult, or near impossible to wear a bergain with this vest.

If you've got a water bladder inside, I don't recommend wearing a bag! For obviouse reasons...:p
      Last edited by bravotwozero; 22 June, 2009, 17:04.

Comment

I have the Black version of this and its quite good, although for a whole skirmish the whole load does get a bit unbearable.

I personally find that after carrying around all my kit for the first half of the day, I end up ging out with just a shirt gun and bag of bbs in pocket the second half of the day.
        Its practical for 3 guns plus all the bits (shotgun on back loops, pistol in pocket, aeg sling around it) it seems to have an endless amount of space, but sadly it makes you choose to carry so much you begin to fall behind and end up falling out of the way of shots rather than moving out of the way.

Made out of some quality material no sign of wear yet after 4 good woodland skirmishes, pockets are all safe to put things in and have had nothing lost.

Would recommend to other people looking for there first load carrying rig, but something that those with experience know to invest in something more suited to them.

Tom

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
        Working...
        X