Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATN Generation 1 Night vision.

Let's get a few things stright here.
    • generation 1, is very basic and only an entry level into night vision.
    • it has not been designed for long distances, only spotting.
    • performance greatly depends on ambient light
    • Don't expect pureness & clarity beyond belief.

So....

Night vision, it must be said, is a tricky subject, and Gen 1 is abit hit and miss.
    Before I get people posting photos of carrots, let me compliment it first.......

I must say though, it works. There's no doubt about that. You get the green light that you would expect with a proper night vision sight, and to an extent, you get to see in the dark.
    So, you are buying Night vision here, proper, genuine night vision and not a rip off.

Performance...

I cannot emphasise, or stress the importance of ambient light, especially for a simple GEN 1.
    In low light levels, or to put it in simpler terms, an hour after sundown, you can see everything you would without the vision. Mine, i could see hundreds of meters. But, I could see that far without them it was that light...

Pitch black:

Outside, now, it's dark. A few stars are out, no moon, and it's cloudy. I can see up to 60 meters. I can see a person, clearly at about 40 meters.

The IR illuminator only helps out to 10 meters or so.

Clarity, in pitch black, is limited. Clearness starts to deteriate after 20 meters.

Also, you have to continuously focus the image when you move...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The review will go on, but with such variable performance, I need more time to test it out.

To be conituned.....

Re: ATN Generation 1 Night vision.

range of IR can be extended by the YUKON (or simialar) IR Torch - its quite a narrow beam but reaches out to about 100m

best use for gen 1 is to sit with a radio and coordinate your team around as they are nigh on impossible to use mobile - especially in a fight
    |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

ive got some and nv definatly helps on a dark night but on a clear night no nv is going to help.

also i think my one may have a better IR iluminator than yours caus it definatly helps further than 10 meters.

oh and ive seen guys use these in fights one with a rail atachment for it behind a scope and one on a mich.

also you can use tracers without a unit so you dont give away your postion (although this is not as efective as a actual unit)
      Pure Plastic Pwnage

Comment

Originally posted by sheard View Post
        ive got some and nv definatly helps on a dark night but on a clear night no nv is going to help.
        really? I could have sworn my NVD works better under moonlight than in the pitch dark. Infact, without any light source, it's pretty useless!

Never having used an IR illuminator, I'm asuming anyone else who has an NVD will see a big beam when you walk past? If so, I wouldn't really call that an advantage Can anyone shed some "light" lol on that?

Comment

indeed if you do use an I.R torch or any I.R device it will appear like a spotlight on anyone elses NVG's.

Comment

Originally posted by m00c0w View Post
            indeed if you do use an I.R torch or any I.R device it will appear like a spotlight on anyone elses NVG's.
            Thanks m00c0w

Comment

luckily when i played in my night game there were only 2 people with NVG, 1 on each team - so we basically fought each other all night as we were the only ones who could see

couldnt use it without the IR illumination as there was no moon
              |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Having fixed all forms of IR devices in the Army including thermal imagers and all other image intensifiers (ex REME Instruments tech) I can safely say you are going to get better resolution the more ambient light there is likes moon/star light. In addition to this gen 1 iit's are as mentioned limited to the optics and the amount of or grade of blooming that can transfer as much light to the IIT focal point. 50-80 meters is what you can expect to be able to distinguise shapes with a reasonable clarity. Oh by the way gents, you keep going on about using IR torches/lights etc but remember this, they transmit light, so if someone else has NVGs or night vision they are going to spot you a mile off.

That is all.
                "It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!"

Armoury:G&G GR300, ICS MP5 SD5 CA.TM hybrid G3 SG1,TM PX4, KSC G34, WE M92L Airsoft Surgeon Tiger Cat, VFC KAC PDW RA TECH version

Comment

Yup.

Ambient light is crucial. However small.

And the issue night vision scopes in the Army are.... FANTASTIC

Comment

I've had instances in Poland on exercise in the forrests where there it pratically zero light getting through from the sky and pitch black and guys coming up to me and telling me their CWS (SA80 night sight) or tanks/afv night sights are knackered but I have to tell them that they must have some light in order for the IITs to work.
                    "It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!"

Armoury:G&G GR300, ICS MP5 SD5 CA.TM hybrid G3 SG1,TM PX4, KSC G34, WE M92L Airsoft Surgeon Tiger Cat, VFC KAC PDW RA TECH version

Comment

sorry to bring up an Old topic! if i brought myself one of these mono night vision things with a helmet attatchment.. put one of the I.R illuminator boxes onto my gun.. it would work ok?

I play alot of games in underground tunnels. some areas there are light and others are pitch black.. i'v only ever seen one person bring Nv's... everyone else sticks to torches and just being qiet ( infact a suprisingly large amount dont even use torches! there is a hell of a lot of blue on blue )

so the illumintor wont give my position away much considering i'd otherwise be using a torch!

What you guys think?

Thanks
                      Chandler

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

Depends.

I doubt where you play would be 100% darkness, so yeah, as long as there is some ambient light for the night vision to play with it'll work.

As I said, exsisting light is cruicial!

IR will only get you so far, maybe 20m or so.

Comment

i dont suppose it is fully dark.. your never really far from a lit up room.. and most corridoors and tunnels that are dark have some form of light at either end

Thanks.. will def see about getting a pair when i can afford it!

Chandler

TM 226r, SYSTEMA PTW, Custom built m4, DE shotty, what else would a man need ?

Comment

There's a site called night vision gear uk, great service.

If you change your mind within 30 days, they'll refund you, no questions asked.

Comment

And Owain, there are some airsoft sites that are 100% pitch!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
                              Working...
                              X