Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanio Koba Twist Barrel (For VSR)

Tanio Koba Twist Barrel

Now, before I begin this review I would just like to say that although I am ecstatic about this barrel, I am not biased to it as I also have/had many others (DBC, EdGI, Laylax etc).

Price:
    I picked the barrel up off of my local forums for a great price £20 P&P (used once or twice), but you can get them brand new for around the £45 mark (different sizes will vary in price).

The principle of the Twist Barrel:
    The barrel has grooves that run down the inside of the barrel in the same fashion as a rifled barrel, but the grooves are deeper and have a different effect on the projectile. The idea is not that the BB is spun by the “twisted” grooves, but that the grooves accept a small amount of air, which travels faster than the BB as there is nothing to stop it. So when the BB’s is traveling down the barrel there is already air in front of it, around it and behind it. The main point is that the air around the BB creates a cushion, or barrier which main purpose is to prevent the BB from touching the sides of the barrel.
    At the moment the main theory of how a BB travels down a barrel is that it bounces off the edges, being guided to bounce less and less as it reaches the end:

With the use of the Twist Barrel’s air cushioning around the BB, the line/path of the BB is flattened to a degree. That’s the idea anyway.

Performance of my other VSR with Laylax for comparison:
    I have been using a Laylax/Promethius 6.03 403mm in my other VSR which is around 450-460fps with .2's, and I was getting 250' chest shots quite consistently with .36g’s. Altogether I have spent around £1000+ on my other VSR.

FPS and Energy Performance Peak
    The TK Twist Barrel can be used with good results anywhere between 300 and 350fps with .20g's. But it has been found that the best performance is at 330fps with .20g's.

It is VERY important that you realise that energy is the most important thing here. Any weight can be used, but it must be the equivalent of 330fps with .20g's (or as close to as possible).

Performance:
    At the moment, this is my internal set up:
    -TM VSR G-Spec
    -TK Twist Barrel 403mm (with KA Silencer barrel extension)
    -PDI Barrel Spacers x4
    -Laylax Spring Guide
    -Laylax 110sp
    -Laylax Cylinder Head
    -Laylax Spring Guide
    To be put in:
    -Laylax Teflon Cylinder
    -Laylax Red Piston
    -Laylax Sears

311fps with .28g’s very consistently, I had to chrono it around 15 times to get it to come off of 311fps once (it went to 314). Not yet skirmished but I’m getting chest sized groupings (with a flyer every so often) at 210’. I personally think these results are amazing (I also took these results without the new Laylax Cylinder Head).

Thanks for lookimg,

Alex (mj23lj)

p.s. I know this is quite a basic review so if there is anything you want me to add let me know
    Last edited by mj23lj; 3 February, 2009, 21:04.
    Trader Feedback:
    New Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5557
    Old Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9461-mj23lj

Re: Tanio Koba Twist Barrel (For VSR)

15 chronos, that says one hell of a lot about the consistency, and therefore the quality, of the upgrades.
    sigpic

Comment

Ya, I was VERY surprised (my £1000+ VSR doesn't do that), I'll be honest and say I doubt that would happen every time, to that extent anyway... I will try again at some point to see if I can really confirm it being that consistent...
      Trader Feedback:

Comment

£1000 on upgrades...oh my. Is it really worth it?

Comment

No it isnt lol.

Comment

Originally posted by owainthegreat View Post
            £1000 on upgrades...oh my. Is it really worth it?
            If you mean, has it increased performance to the extent of £1000, probably not, I probably could have got the same performance for £600-700. But To me it's one of the best looking VSR's I have ever seen and I'm making decent ranged shot very consistently, and once I have the PDI receiver I'm waiting on it will be an incredibly reliable rifle as well. I have paying for nothing less than the best parts available.

Originally posted by coldf1re View Post
            No it isnt lol.
            Sorry, what do you mean by that?
            Trader Feedback:

Comment

just wondering why should this barrel work any worse when firing around 500fps i can't quite see how a regular tight bore barrel would be better than this. also are these the same barrels as the AEG ones?

p.s. i think its worth it for a maxed out vsr i know someone (stretman who has a pretty much maxed out vsr ((he cant find a inner barrel at a good price in stock and its only internally upgraded)) and it is awesome!
              Last edited by sheard; 20 May, 2009, 16:59.
              Pure Plastic Pwnage

Comment

I believe the reason, or theory of why it doesn't work at 500fps, is because the BB is traveling too fast to get an effective air pocket surrounding it at that speed. They are the same barrel as the AEG, all TB's are pretty much identical, the only difference is there cut.

I don't think this is a TB for Strettman, as I don't think he'd want to reduce his fps...
                Trader Feedback:

Comment

Would this barrel work in an M16? as I heard a guy at my site say his M16 uses the same barrel as his VSR. If so would it work in the same way on auto?

Comment

OMG this barrel is so good my VSR is stock apart from: high pressure piston, 110 spring and twist barrel and i was getting body shots at past 60m had to shoot one shot to zeroin on the target and then after that it was hard to miss. Greg.
                    trader rating

Comment

i used greg burtons vsr with the twist barrel today, i was amazed.
                      it is cheaper then a tightbore and is extremly accurate. the range is amazing for a 330 fps weapon
                      g&p magpul m4 with dd mk18 ris
                      socom od meu 1911

Comment

does anybody know of any places i can get one of these from?
                        socom od meu 1911

Comment

Just to add, thats my old VSR that i put love into (L)

Comment

Google search. There are 1-2 U.K retailers, but are out of stock. HK has loads of them though. My Vsr length cost me £70 as customs got hold of it

Comment

i was thinking of ordering one from wgc airsoft. i hope customs dont try and rape me for it though
                              socom od meu 1911

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mj23lj Find out more about mj23lj
                              Working...
                              X