Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

NCStar 3-9x42 R/G Illuminated QR RIS Mount Mil-Dot Scope Review!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCStar 3-9x42 R/G Illuminated QR RIS Mount Mil-Dot Scope Review!!!

Hey,
    That title has a lot of stuff in it, so first of all lets break it down a little :p
    All but the first pictures are thumbnails, so click away!

This is a review of a scope by NCStar, available for order at Zero In (although I grabbed the last one in stock right now, muhahah):
    http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/produc...oducts_id=4737

It is a 3-9x adjustable zoom scope with a large 42mm objective lens. It features a quick release rail mount for standard 19/20mm rails, uses a Mil-Dot style reticule and features 3 degrees of illumination in both Red and Green.

Pictured (left to right, top to bottom:
    Microfibre Cloth
    Spare Battery (one already installed, very nice touch)
    Box (well padded inside)
    Instruction Manual
    Warranty Card
    Scope
    Scope Covers (rubberised)

Style:
    Not quite a full tube scope, and not as compact as an ACOG, this holds an interesting middle ground in terms of size and shape.

Function:

Left: Quick Focus, Zoom
    Middle Top: Illumination
    Middle: Elevation (under cap)
    Bottom: Windage, Quick Release Lever

Optics:
    The optics on this unit are brilliant, even at higher magnifications. While I got the best pictures I could, the actual clarity (compared to the images below) is crystal. Barrel distortion (curving at the edges) is much more apparent at lower magnifications, but is not problematic in my opinion. The eye relief is fantastic, at about 2-3 inches. You can use it comfortably, even with a full face fencing-style mask!

Zoom (left to right: no-scope 3x, 9x, and a more reasonable 4x)

Illumination (lowest setting. Anything else is too bright really):

Fitting:
    This is a low mount scope. While it can be used on a G36, SCAR, or other rifle where the rail is raised compared to the cheekrest, for use on an M4 or similar I would recommend a rail riser, or a rail ontop of a carry handle, otherwise your eye protection/mask is likely to cause issues against the stock when trying to line up your view.

Once again, this is a very low mount scope, and can also conflict with raised iron sights:

Build Quality:
    I have very little to compare to here, but in my opinion the build quality is excellent. The finish is smooth and even, the metal build feels of excellent quality. The windage/elevation adjustments have a satisfying weight to them, as well as click increments. All the dials are quite stiff, but to me this is good as it means they are unlikely to go out of alignment. The quick release is fantastic, provided you follow the instructions so that it is secure to your rifle. Once adjusted correctly, it's click and go.

Skirmishability:
    Pending visit to local airsoft site on 18th December
    I have ordered a carry handle/rail combination for use with the scope, and I will report back.

Overall, based on my use in the home so far I would say this is an excellent scope for airsoft use. Once I've had an opportunity to skirmish it a bit, I'll report back.

About the Author

Collapse

Ajhayter Rookie Airsofter, regular motorcylist, avid gamer! Find out more about Ajhayter
Working...
X