KWA/UMAREX USP TACTICAL: First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWA/UMAREX USP TACTICAL: First Impressions

Hello everyone, this is just a quick (and somewhat tongue-in cheek) first impressions guide to the KWA H&K USP Tactical, licensed by Umarex.
    In this review, I will go over external features, field disassembly, and provide an overview of how the replica feels. It not meant to be a complete review, though I do intend to do so once I get a chance to test it properly on the field.

I first fell in love with the USP Tactical when I saw it for the first time browsing gun websites back in the 90's, and occasionally seeing it in tactical shooters such as Rainbow Six Raven Shield. So it was perfectly logical to want to pick up a good replica when I had the chance.
    The real steel history can be found pretty much anywhere on the internet, so I won't bore you with copypasted details you can find elsewhere, namely here:
    http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/de/hk-usp-e.html
    http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?optio...stols&Itemid=5
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_USP

There have been many airsoft replicas of this model of the USP, namely Tanio-Koba, KSC, and KJW. This is a relatively recent foray by KWA, which are the OEM of KSC, and they have since partnered with Umarex, firearms licensing giant, to bring officially licensed H&K handguns and rifles. More on the licensing later.
    Naturally, this model was not available in the UK (Tut-tut), which seems to favour every model of USP save the Tactical (double tut-tut). Since I wasn't a fan of any of the other types, I had to look overseas to get my fix.
    Two weeks later, the parcel was painlessly delivered to me, and I could finally have a first-hand look at this replica.

Out the box:

The package comes in a handsome Heckler and Koch branded box with H&K's slogan and Umarex's licensing spiel, reminding you that anything H&K shaped is theirs alone to license. Unlike other reviews, I won't bore you with an in depth description of the foam packaging of the box (or the lack or presence of a cleaning rod), and skip to the bits that actually matter, namely: the gun itself, the mag, the hop-up (err, SHOOT-UP) adjustment tool, and lockout key (also included is a small manual, but I recommend downloading the full one from KWA, since it has a disassembly guide and a parts list, which are infinitely more useful than Umarex trademark spiels in four different languages).
    The replica itself is immediately recognisable as a USP Tactical, in no small part thanks to Umarex's licensed trademarks, which state in blazing white text on black "H&K USP Tactical", with a small print stating "Cal. 6mm BB" towards the ejection port. More on the trades later.

Externals:

Externally,the Tactical does not differ greatly from the standard "plain Jane" USP, but presents a few key features that differentiate it for the ever-discerning operator. The most prominent difference is a slightly longer, protruding outer barrel with a 16mm clockwise thread designed for the attachment of a suppressor. The front sight post is raised to enable sighting when used in conjunction with a suppressor and features match-grade rear sights fully adjustable for both windage and elevation. The handgun also features a match-grade trigger with adjustable trigger pull, an ambidextrous safety/deckocking lever, and a slightly protruding magazine baseplate for added comfort. Some of these features are also present on the match, along with an impractical (and silly-looking, I find) compensator for sport target shooting. Also present below the barrel is a lovely proprietary H&K accessory rail, for the attachment of the H&K UTL. Luckily, a variety of RIS adaptors are available, though VFC have recently discontinued their line of metal full-size USP adaptors, leaving you with King Arms ABS adaptors, or the real-deal (and more expensive) GG&G, and Surefire adaptors (though good luck getting one outside the US, because ITAR).

Upon picking it up, the handgun seems hefty and ruggedly built. The slide is made of lightweight metal, with a tough black polymer frame, possibly nylon fibre. The outer barrel is made of a lightweight, space age material that totally isn't ABS plastic, including the thread on the tip for the attachment of a suppressor (and good luck finding one with a 16mm CW thread, most are long since discontinued). The ejection port cover on the outer barrel also has more H&K trades, with the actual caliber of this particular USP (.45 ACP) along with a serial number that matches the one on the underside of the handgun, though I cannot confirm if this is unique to each pistol. Sights and controls are metal and accurately replicated, and click solidly into place.

The supplied magazine fits easily without hassle and clicks into place securely. Depressing the magazine relase catch causes the magazine to eject downwards on its own weight, useful for quick reloads. Unlike most other pistols, the mag release is an amidextrous lever recessed into the trigger guard that is depressed downwards, decreasing the chances of an accidental removal of the magazine if it brushes against something. While the gun is supplied with a USP Tactical-specific magazine, I can confirm that ordinary USP .45 mags will fit and feed perfectly, giving you another option should the Tactical mags be unavailable. The magazines are of double-stack design, with a flat metal follower and feed lips, and will fit 25 BBs. BBs are loaded from the top. In addition, the follower can be locked to the bottom of the magazine by simply fully retracting the spring, and released by depressing it for ease of reload.

USP Tactical .45 mag (left) and USP .45 mag (right)

USP .45 mag in the Tactical

I am somewhat dubious of the choice of follower and lips, however. This differs from TM pistols, which have an angled follower to ensure more reliable feeding (though only repeated skirmishing will be able to prove or disprove feeding issues in the USP). The lips on the other hand are metal, and while very tough they are also inflexible, and can be bent irreparably if dropped onto a hard surface (this has unfortunately happened to me in the past with the KWA M9 PTP). While spare parts can be sourced from KWA directly, only more fortunate US airsofters will be able to avail themselves with such support, at least currently.
    Racking the slide I shuddered to hear a slight grinding noise, a telltale sign of poor lubrication. I proceeded to immediately strip the handgun for a long overdue lube, whereupon the action was smooth and solid, with quick return to battery.

Disassembly:

Field stripping the handgun is reminiscient of the 1911 series of pistols, which makes sense given the USP was designed with US operators in mind. The slide is retracted slighty, the slide release catch is pushed out, and the slide slips forward, revealing the guts. The recoil spring(s) and guide rod are beefy metal jobbies and c-clipped together, while the outer barrel and recoil assembly are hinged to allow for a relatively painless disassembly. That said, a quick glance at the frame shows a remarkably complex hammer and trigger assembly, which would very likely be an utter nightmare to disassemble. Triggers are notorious for breaking on USPs, even across different brands. Fingers crossed that it never happens.

Shooting:

I loaded the mag up with propane and Blaster Devil .20g BBs and blatted off the entire magazine, with no discernible cooldown or misfeeds, locking the slide back on empty, with plenty of gas left over. The handgun was chronoed on a Combro Mk4 chronograph at 355, 355, 354, 348 and 340 fps, for an average of 350.4 fps; check your site's limits before taking her for a spin, or use ordinary green gas for the summer. The outside temperature was approximately 18 degrees C, typical to a summer's day (by UK standards, anyway). Hop-up (sorry, SHOOT-UP, as Umarex is quick to remind us) is adjusted with the special tool provided, or your fingernails, if you're not too attached to them. While it can adjust the the hop without disassembly of the slide like on most TM pistols, it's somewhat fiddly to use, and requires holding the slide partially to the rear to access the hop wheel, making it equally as inconvenient as the TM. Apart from these niggles, it was fun to shoot, and I can confirm that it is lethal against cardboard boxes, and laser accurate at 5 feet. I will review range and accuracy in more depth once I can actually take it skirmishing.

Conclusions:
    I can safely say that my initial impressions were overall positive. I could not find any glaring faults in the handgun's operation and function, nor in the materials it is constructed from. The only major problems I forsee are potential (but so far totally unproven) misfeeds in the magazine, and lack of spare parts should something break, especially since KSC have discontinued their line of USPs, and KWA parts are difficult to source in the UK. While not a cause for concern, there are also relatively few upgrade parts available, which are limited to enhanced springs and some tightbore barrels.

I liked the tough-feeling externals, and the lovely, powerful kick of the blowback. Some of the aesthetic touches were nice, namely the green O-ring on the barrel, just like on the real USP, and the accurate thread diameter (though they did not model the polygonal rifling on the barrel, opting for a more Bundeswehr-appropriate lands-and-grooves rifling).
    I was slightly perplexed by the choice of a plastic outer barrel, but this could just be a measure to ensure reliabilty, as metal on metal contact between slide and barrel may not be healthy in the long run.
    Whilst I appreciate the realism of the 16mm thread, it would also have been nice if KWA/Umarex also sold a suppressor that fit the thread, or made a small exception to realism and used a 14mm CCW thread instead.

Externally, my major complaints were the liberties Umarex took with their overzealous licensing. The real USP trades are not typically painted in (obnoxious) white paint, and the slide is missing the Stag horn proof mark, Bundesadler logos, and two-digit date stamp.
    The serial number above the slide stop does not conform to typical USP numbering convention (2X-XXXXXX) and, most disappointingly, does not match the one present on the chamber and below the barrel. Furthermore, Umarex could have spared us the "cal. 6mm" markings below the chamber, especially as this is omitted in the Umarex Mk23 series of handguns, which retain the .45 marking. Hell, it's not even written in a more appropriately Germanic "Kal. 6mm".

Umarex also saw it fit to deface the handgun with a whole paragraph of even more obnoxious white painted lettering on the right side of the frame that blare on about their wonderfully exclusive license to paste the H&K trademark onto their rebranded products. At the vey least, the frame is mostly unmolested, and the painted Umarex text will eventually wear off. If you're after a more accurate replica, I recommend seeking out a System 7 KSC USP or an aftermarket slide, as these retain the H&K trades as they were meant to.

Finally, my only other complaints pertain to H&K's design itself, namely the fact that this gun is notoriously difficult to find a holstering solution for. The raised sights prevent it from fitting into standard USP moulded polymer holsters, leaving the discerning airsofter with a limited choice of "soft" nylon/cordura holsters or expensive BladeTech polymer holsters which may or may not be available for export, because ITAR, again.

Overall, I am quite happy with this replica, and while it may seem I'm being overly harsh with regards to the externals, I'm actually quite pleased that it retains a good semblance to the real USP, and looks absolutely GORGEOUS with a torch. Stay tuned for a skirmish and performance test sometime soon.

Re: KWA/UMAREX USP TACTICAL: First Impressions

Recently bought this gun and am very pleased, this review has helped alot. I do have one question, is the gun compatible with system 7 magazines as i cannot find any pre system 7 mags for this gun. If the answer is no could you provide any info on where i can get mags compatible with this gun.
    cheers

Comment

Re: KWA/UMAREX USP TACTICAL: First Impressions

This model uses KSC System 7 and KWA NS2 magazines.

The pre-System 7 magazines and guns have been completely discontinued for several years now, so there's little to no chance of finding them. For that matter KSC have recently discontinued their System 7 USPs, so those are going to become progressively rarer, leaving only the KWA/Umarex USP line for the forseeable future.

So, in short, if you bought a Umarex licensed USP, get system 7 or NS2 mags.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bobtuskins Find out more about bobtuskins
      Working...
      X